CNC Router to Plasma to Router

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Tautog13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

CNC Router to Plasma to Router

Post by Tautog13 »

Hey all, long time lurker here w/minor contribution to date.

Have a Q that could not be sufficiently resolved via PS search function.

Local CL has Baleigh CNC router (WR23) at potential bargain.
It is of course a small table, but also why I am considering it to convert to plasma to "dip my toe" and see if plasma suits me.

Reasons I consider this purchase:

I would have to invest in a plasma cutter regardless of table size purchased.(4x4/x8/x10)

I would have to upgrade current compressor & piping to table for plasma cutting anyway. (80 gal/+10cfm min/etc)

Electrical wiring same story. (Compressor & Plasma table)

From my research, the typical cnc router gantry is usually "too heavy" for plasma cutting. (Agility)
This is only a 3'x2' table, and while I can imagine the gantry is heavier than would be required for plasma, it likely couldn't be "that heavy", since I think spec's w/router say 230ipm.
Take the router off and perhaps it is a fair bit lighter than with torch installed?

I believe the table has BobCAD_CAM installed, and I understand there would be a license transfer required. (I assume the router could be swapped for plasma within BobCAD_Cam)

Not sure THC would be necessary, again mainly due to small table area.

Anyhow, not to get too deep into the weeds just curious if any has considered anything like this before and could offer advise as to what pitfalls there may be. (Software incompatibility(s) /machine torch attachment/etc.)

I am fine with walking away, but wanted to be as informed as I could be prior to making any deal.

Best regards,
Charlie

PS:
Table could always go back to CNC Router should CNC Plasma agree with me, and I graduate to a larger table, with little to no loss of investment. (I think)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC Router to Plasma to Router

Post by acourtjester »

Looking at their web page on that unit I would say it would take a lot to convert to Plasma. The main problem area is the base where you lay the material with wood you are cutting material above that base. With plasma you are blasting through that area it would need a cutting grate and the length of the Z axis travel seems small.
Having a table that can use both plasma and router is not out of reason, I have built a few table that have both.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I have found that trying to reinvent the wheel usually results in a square one. You can purchase a 4x4 plasma for a very reasonable price. Plug and play no surprises. Just my 2 cents.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I built my tables and my current design is primarily a plasma table that can also be used with a router (it was a router table first which I redesigned so it has enough rigidity). To help with agility, I made the gantry using mostly aluminum. Well, at least 90% is aluminum.
Tautog13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Tautog13 »

acourtjester wrote:Looking at their web page on that unit I would say it would take a lot to convert to Plasma. The main problem area is the base where you lay the material with wood you are cutting material above that base. With plasma you are blasting through that area it would need a cutting grate and the length of the Z axis travel seems small.
Having a table that can use both plasma and router is not out of reason, I have built a few table that have both.
acourtjester,

Re: main problem area/cutting grate
Good point, I did see where the actual work area is 39"x31.5" and OA dimensions are 40"x48"x45"
So if the actual "work area" could be between the base frame (lower) that should not be too difficult to overcome.

Re: Z travel
Spec's indicate 3.1" of Z travel, I see many plasma's in the range just under 4" (3-7/8")
Wondering if that is intentional, but certainly adjustable if greater clearance is achieved(no?). (Inset cutting grate below frame?)

Re: builds
I have seen/read a lot of your posts/contributions here no really apreciate your time looking at this for me.

Many thanks,
Charlie
Tautog13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Tautog13 »

little blue choo wrote:I have found that trying to reinvent the wheel usually results in a square one. You can purchase a 4x4 plasma for a very reasonable price. Plug and play no surprises. Just my 2 cents.

Rick
Rick,
Thanks, I completely understand what you are saying.......reminds me of the saying "no such thing as a "cheap" Mercedes Benz. ;)

Re: plug and play
That is where I am torn, if I go full plug and play, I'll likely just go for 4x8 or 4x10.
This machine is a short drive away, and thus a temptation to convert, with the idea it could always be useful as a router should I quickly grow out of it.

Best regards, and thanks!

Charlie
Tautog13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Tautog13 »

urbnsr wrote:I built my tables and my current design is primarily a plasma table that can also be used with a router (it was a router table first which I redesigned so it has enough rigidity). To help with agility, I made the gantry using mostly aluminum. Well, at least 90% is aluminum.
urbnsr ,
I saw a fair bit of plasma to router add on discussions, and maybe because I mostly searched here thinking the info for plasma torch on any table would be here.
I have high respect for anyone that has done a DIY table, especially after reading all of the threads that detail the commitment required to pull it off.

So, hats off to you and all that were capable to do so.

Best regards,
Charlie
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You say the machine is a short drive away why not go look at it. There maybe question you find answers to by looking at the actual table. I would try to find out how long the table has been for sale this may give you a better idea of it future resale by you and if there is a market for it. Having a starter table will give you something to learn on (even to see if you want go farther with CNC) having a table is part of the process. The software section is somewhat generic and what you learn will carry on (some table use very specific software).
Asking questions here will help you to see things you may not think of. ;)

have fun Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Tautog13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Tautog13 »

acourtjester wrote:You say the machine is a short drive away why not go look at it. There maybe question you find answers to by looking at the actual table. I would try to find out how long the table has been for sale this may give you a better idea of it future resale by you and if there is a market for it. Having a starter table will give you something to learn on (even to see if you want go farther with CNC) having a table is part of the process. The software section is somewhat generic and what you learn will carry on (some table use very specific software).
Asking questions here will help you to see things you may not think of. ;)

have fun Tom
Tom, & All
I planned on driving to look at the machine (& make an offer), but a couple of days after posting here it dropped off of CL.
Thought it might come back on, and as of today not so........For anyone curious it was for $5,000. OBO....I planned on offering $2,500. (Only because my need is plasma/not router.......and why not). :P

Anyway.....I greatly apreciate everyone's time and effort to inform/advise....so thanks to all!

Best regards,
Charlie

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”