Help me buy the right machine!!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Help me buy the right machine!!

Post by Merica_Metal »

Looking at a 4x4 setup that includes everything software and water table.

I've come to the following.
Plasma Cam 4x4 all in I'm looking at $15k no water table.
Arc Pro 4800 4'x4' seems to have it all however 8 week lead time. $12k
Westcott Plasma seems to have it all however 6 week lead time. $14K
Torchmate CNC Plasma seems to have it all can be ready to ship in a few day $20k
ShopSabre SideKick 4x4 seems to have it all not sure on lead time $14k
Star Lab machines 4x4 seems to have it all not sure on lead time $14k
Trackercnc Nitro 4x4 no water table not sure on lead time $13k
Trackercnc ProTable 4x4 no water table but does have down draft not sure on lead time $20k
2017 Shop Sabre SideKick 4
Upgrades: Marker/Plotter, Laser sights, Engraver
Hypertherm PM65
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Help me buy the right machine!!

Post by little blue choo »

I can tell you this. I have a Arclight ARC PRO 9600 and love it. Have had it for a little over 2 years and have had no problems. They also offer GREAT support. My table paid for it's self in less than 2 years.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

I've had a 4x4 Plasmacam a few years and I've had good luck with it. I made a deal on a commercial shop in an industrial area with proper zoning for plasma operation so I just bought another Plasmacam 5x10 Sampson for some full sheet cutting. I use downdraft with fan out the side of the shop wall and I'm happy..

I'm close to Torchmate, just a few miles and almost got stuck with the growth series table before I bought the Plasmacam 4x4. Shortly after that Torchmate discontinued the growth series and left everyone high and dry...
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I have a 6x12 Bulltear/Starlab. Can't speak highly enough of the quality and support. Can't go wrong with it.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

What's most important to you- time or money? Are you willing to pay $5k more than you need to in order to have a machine next week vs waiting 6-8 weeks?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have no dog in the fight (DIY guy) but LDR Motions Systems may be another for you to look at many here have said good things, here is a post from CNCZone
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/want-to-b ... s-one.html
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

These are all excellent table choices. My advice:

- Don't use price as a major criteria for choosing a table. Look carefully at the software, look at the design of the machine and listen to users about after sale support, training, etc. A better table will be more productive and will cost less over time.

- I am a fan of downdraft fume control for air plasma entry level machines. Water tables control fumes well, however there is an effect on cut quality (more dross, rougher edges) and a water splash mess. Downdraft properly done produces no smoke, however you need an adequate fan / blower for it to be effective and you will lose heat during heating season. To me a water table is along the same lines as shopping for a table with the lowest price.....it is cheaper but probably not as good!

- One of the tables on the list (Torchmate) forces you to use their own plasma. The others provide a choice. Beware!

- Heavy construction of a table does not mean it will cut better. It may last longer, but often heavy moving mass equals lower acceleration.....on heavier machines be sure the motors are larger and properly inertia matched......or that servos (more expensive, better acceleration throughout speed ranges) are used instead of stepper. Both steppers and servos will produce the same accuracy.....assuming steppers are matched for the mass and speed ranges (gear or belt reduction) properly. All of the table choices here have this under control!

- How long has the company been in business.....what do their customers say. Very important!

Jim Colt

Merica_Metal wrote:Looking at a 4x4 setup that includes everything software and water table.

I've come to the following.
Plasma Cam 4x4 all in I'm looking at $15k no water table.
Arc Pro 4800 4'x4' seems to have it all however 8 week lead time. $12k
Westcott Plasma seems to have it all however 6 week lead time. $14K
Torchmate CNC Plasma seems to have it all can be ready to ship in a few day $20k
ShopSabre SideKick 4x4 seems to have it all not sure on lead time $14k
Star Lab machines 4x4 seems to have it all not sure on lead time $14k
Trackercnc Nitro 4x4 no water table not sure on lead time $13k
Trackercnc ProTable 4x4 no water table but does have down draft not sure on lead time $20k
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

owners are a great source to talk to, don't go off just one's recommendation, do a google search on the manufacturer, go visit the manufacturer.
try for a free set up on our website http://www.trucutcnc.com/contest1.html
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I've had an LDR table since July of 2014 and it is still up and running great with no major issues. Any problems that have risen where easily and readily solved by Dan either with a phone call or email. He responds promptly and takes whatever time is needed to solve issues, even if they are not table related but operator error.!!! You won't regret going this route.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

we chose bulltear/starlabs based on the linear bearings, substantial gear drives and non-proprietary software
if you have proprietary software you are at the mercy of the manufacturer tech support, mach and sheetcam have great support thru forums

bulltear gantry clearance allowed us to incorporate the tube cutter head on top of the water table, a big plus for us
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Merica_Metal »

Ended up with a loaded ShopSabre SideKick 4x4. Compared to others like Torchmate it was the better option. Now the wait starts
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

See if you can get demo versions of the software so you can play and learn about it.
Also find what drawing and Cam programs you will be using and look for tutorials on YouTube and learn about them.
One half of the process is getting things ready to cut you can do that without you table, this will give you a head start.
Oh and Gongrates :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
phillipd
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by phillipd »

Have you looked at trucutcnc.com? We go pick up our 5x10 with a hypertherm 105 on Wednesday. We went to their shop a couple weeks ago and spent several hours with the owner. He actually talked me out of a few options I wanted as well as convincing me to go with the 105 instead of the 125 I wanted. They are good folks and the reviews are great. When I first started looking at tables I called them and they gave me the info on a shop an hour from me that had 2 of their tables. My partner and I drove an hour to check them out. We spent an hour or so at the shop and the owner loved the tables and couldn't quit bragging about the support and the owners. That was what sealed the deal for us, along with price. Good luck
alonzo83
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by alonzo83 »

I run dynatorch at work I do not know if that will be in your price range. It does use servo motors and has omic sensing as well as a lot of other nice features found on more expensive machines.

They are worth a look. I like it.

Regards,
Alonzo
dynatorch xls, hypertherm 125 generator, Oxy propylene torch, multiple lathes, mills and saws.
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Merica_Metal »

acourtjester wrote:See if you can get demo versions of the software so you can play and learn about it.
Also find what drawing and Cam programs you will be using and look for tutorials on YouTube and learn about them.
One half of the process is getting things ready to cut you can do that without you table, this will give you a head start.
Oh and Gongrates :)

Yup they're using Enroute Fabrication and it looks really easy and user friendly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO5thiu ... 9KQ6QYhNsc Info if your interested.
Hypertherm PM65
pitbumpers
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by pitbumpers »

Just ordered a LDR 5x10. I have been looking for 3 years, so needless to say I have been studying burn tables. Customer service and feedback are a must. For what I am getting on my table price was excellent. It will take a little longer to build as they are a smaller shop, but I have been studying this for 3 years so I can wait a little longer. Learn your programs before you get the table.
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

Ive had a 2x2 and now a 4x4 Torchmate for 6 years and have had no major ploblems. That said, my next table will probably be an LDR just for a change.
Fastyankee
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

I had a Shop Sabre the machine is very heavily built. The operating control kinda sucked in my opinion and tech support was not the best. I bought the pipe cutter and they left it up to me to figure out how to mount it. I owned the machine in 2018 to 2020. Maybe the support has gotten better. They are more router guys than CNC.
Just my personal experience. Torchmate was my first machine I hated it but this was before Lincoln took over. My machine spent more time down than running.the reason I upgraded to the Shop Sabre.
I’m looking at Star Lab next 4x8 I had the 5x12 Shop Sabre and didn’t really need the capacity.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”