DXF File/Folder Organization?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

DXF File/Folder Organization?

Post by Merica_Metal »

Does anyone have a method to the madness of File/Folder Organization? Maybe a screen shot of a file structure?
2017 Shop Sabre SideKick 4
Upgrades: Marker/Plotter, Laser sights, Engraver
Hypertherm PM65
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DXF File/Folder Organization?

Post by motoguy »

Dear lord, I'm in for info here too. I'm working on this as well. I'm pretty good with organizing stuff I've drawn, or downloaded individually. It's the sets that really get me. I've got all the CNCDXF stuff, SignTorch stuff, and a couple other sets. I'm trying to decide if I leave those in "master archives", then create another archive so I can mix and match them all up (all vehicles together, all horses together, all dogs together, etc), or what.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Everything goes in to the Documents file then a file called CNC Plasma. Then in folders as you see in the pic

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Very impressive Old Iron.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

In each folder are sub-folders that pertain to the description ie. Animals will have horses, cows, pigs, lions, tigers, bears, fish etc.
In each sub-folder there will be a DXF folder and a TAP folder. This keeps them separate and depending on what type of file you are working with is the folder you open.
RobinHillMachine
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobinHillMachine »

I would give them names based on what's in the image. Like if you had a 1970 Chevy truck file... "Transportation Truck Chevy 70". Then you can search your folders for what you're looking for. If a customer contacts you for a custom Chevy sign, you can just type in Chevy and pull up all of them at once.

Then make a Proofs folder. Take a screen shot of each file, save a JPG with the same name you gave the file. Put all of the images into a file labeled "Proofs". Then you have a visual and finding the file name is easy.

For your collections, rename the files. If you have a SignTorch deer welcome scene "ST deer welcome sign".

Anything that is not cut ready I put in "Elements" folders. So I save all my deer files in one .cdr file. If someone contacts me for a deer welcome sign, I have 50 different deer files for them to choose from.

There are no rights and wrongs. Just play with folders and renaming files and see what works for you.
Julie's the name, DXF is the game. http://robinhillmachine.com
Email DXF@robinhillmachine.com

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”