45A cut chart differences...PM45XP vs PM85

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

45A cut chart differences...PM45XP vs PM85

Post by motoguy »

I'm taking some time to get everything cleaned up / squared away from my recent Linux/CommandCNC upgrade. Part of this is making sure the tool chart in Sheetcam/Linux is correct. I've got 45A cut charts from the 45XP manual, as well as my PM85. The XP manual lists some thicknesses that are not listed in the 85 manual (1/4" through 1", for instance), so I'm trying to combining all the cut info from both manuals into my tool chart.

I've noticed some differences between the two. Kerf widths are listed different. 45A cut specs are different. 45XP manual lists 16ga steel at 249ipm/128V. The PM85 manual lists 16ga steel at 350ipm, 130V. 100ipm difference, and 2 volts. I'm curious if anyone knows the reasons for these differences. The torches are the same, the consumables are the same, so I'd expect the cuts to be the same. Is there a difference in the power supply that would cause a difference?

If they SHOULD cut the same, then which cut chart do I use? The 45XP chart would be newer (I would think), than the older chart developed for the PM85. I'm curious if the XP cut charts are "mo betterer settings" based on additional years of testing, or if I should stick with the settings in the PM85 manual for 45A and Finecuts. Jim Colt, any insight on this?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45A cut chart differences...PM45XP vs PM85

Post by jimcolt »

The torches are the same however the output characteristics of the power supply are different. I mix and match the settings (I have both systems) and they seem interchangeable.

The cut parameters are retested when we develop new systems.....likely a different tech did the testing and I guarantee a different batch of steel plate was used. Things like silicone, carbon, manganese and surface finish all have an effect on cutting.

One thing you will see in the 45 XP charts are listings for cutting thicker than 1/4" with the 45 amps shielded consumables. These specs work perfectly for the 45, 65, 85 and 105 systems as well.

I like the new format of the 45 XP charts as the kerf width is included...instead of in a separate chart. Jim Colt
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: 45A cut chart differences...PM45XP vs PM85

Post by Brand X »

I like the new format of the 45 XP charts as the kerf width is included...instead of in a separate chart. Jim Colt

I posted Esab had that format with the PT-37 torch for a real long time. Since i used Thermal dynamics, and Hypertherm,I could not understand why it took so long to figure that out.?

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”