Proma Compact THC

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Alabass
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Proma Compact THC

Post by Alabass »

Hello from Alabama. Just acquired a 4x4 plasma table and have hooked up my Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 cutter. Using Mach3 software, I have done some test cuts and am making progress. I have a few things I need to get working though. I'm trying to get the Proma THC working correctly. Any of you that have been successful with this controller, I would appreciate any help you could give. I have it wired up and it reads the voltage while cutting but I don't know how to get it to control the Z-axis. I'm very new to CNC so be gentle :)

Thanks
marcnaz
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Proma Compact THC

Post by marcnaz »

The online instruction aren't too bad but can be a little confusing. There is lots of info and videos floating around the net regarding setup. If they don't help I'd suggest you contact Proma or one one of the machine builders that use them for assistance. (Eagle?)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There are 3 signals from the Proma (arc OK, up, and down) these should be wired to your BOB using the input pins in Mach 3. Do not connect the power supply negative and the signal ground. The signal ground goes to the BOB board only and it is not a ground but a signal return.
On the Proma if you run the TST function you will see the arc OK light come on after a few seconds and then the up and down should toggle alternately.
You should also see this in the Diagnostic page of Mach if you have it hooked correctly.
Where are you in Ally babba?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Alabass
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Alabass »

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at a lot of instructions from different sites and videos, the problem is one place says one thing and another says something different so it's a little confusing. I have run the TST function and the arc light comes on (also on the Mach3 diagnostics page) but the up and down lights don't come on.

I'm in the northern part of the state near Decatur. Just trying to get up to speed on CNC plasma as I add it to my business. I've always had to order items from someone else who could do it and I wanted to be able to do it myself.

Check out my website at graysornamentaliron.com to see what I do.

Thanks
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It sounds like you don't have the correct pins for the up/down in Mach, I assume the up/down lights come on the Proma?
I would say a Plasma table of your own will be a big plus for you, put a little more jingle in your pocket. Go back here and you will find many files that will expand your business. :D
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Alabass
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Alabass »

The up/down lights don't come on on the Proma, just the arc light toggles on and off.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I would say it's broke
What voltage are you powering it with?
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe