Getting Started

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Moorpark Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Getting Started

Post by Moorpark Metals »

First off, I did attempt to search around for this type of topic with no luck, so apologies if I missed something. I am a welder/fabricator in southern California and I'm interested in purchasing a CNC plasma to add to my business. With little understanding of CNC I came to this forum to get pointed in the right direction. With my research it appears I can purchase a 4x8 table including programs, CNC components, computer and plasma machine/compressor for around 12k. Then I need to use a 2D CAD program to make my design which I upload into a CAM program to run my design on the machine. Is this correct? I am very interested in this since once I learn the CAD program it will save me TONS of time in sheet metal fabrication/ help me with production runs and also open my shop for additional business.

Also before purchasing a complete setup I am interested in learning on some type of free CAD program. Are these available? and if so what are some good ones that will work on my CNC plasma table?

Thank you in advance!!!!
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Getting Started

Post by tnbndr »

Search the forums on here for CAD, etc. This question has been asked many times and there are answers available. Also see the software forum.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There are free CAD programs that some here have used and like (QCAD, Draftsense, fusion 360 i think is free) but realize not all software function or use the same terms. This can cause some confusion and some will not open other program's files, this is also true with expensive ones too. There are many formats of the DXF file structure that cause this. Some offer a trial version for you to test out to see if you like it many have YouTube tutorials you can view. You can learn tricks go get around these things, many are talked about under the software section on this site. I have one I paid $50. for and is does what I need, it's functions make sense to me. I am not saying its the best but I like it, and I have Qcad to help read files the mine won't but I don't like the functions QCAD uses. :lol:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I'd say what you use for your CAD drawing depends on what types of fabrication you do. I have a regular CAD drawing program (Draftsight) which was free, but I never use it. Instead I do all my drawing in CorelDraw. (Inkscape is a free alternative to it). I do some artsy type stuff, but most of my stuff is brackets, sprockets, signs, etc. So maybe what you could do is try using a free CAD type drawing program such as Draftsight or QCAD, and try using a free drawing program such as Inkscape, and see which one suits what you think your needs will be. With CorelDraw I can draw a part with an accuracy that exceeds what Plasma can cut.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I like VCarve Pro. It's more of a CAD software. I have DesignEdge because I have a PlasmaCam. I can't imagine using anything else at this point. A lot of people use inkscape and Corel Draw and sort of work around shortcomings, mainly it's not a CAD program but you can make it work. Corel Draw is great if you are going to be doing artwork. So if you are going to do brackets or mechanical drawings, I'd want to stick with a true CAD program.
Mtw fdu
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mtw fdu »

I am also a welder/fitter and turner and have added a cnc machine to my business and it has opened a lot doors for me and expanded what I can do. Even though I have only a 2 x 2 machine table size it can do a lot more instead of doing it by hand(and with much better cut quality time and time again).

I am from down under and did purchase from the US and also purchased Bobcad for my software for my CAD program and I use Mach3 to run my machine. Software does take a bit to get use to but overall it does what I want it to do. Have also added a rotary axis recently and did have a lot of help from the guys on this site who are more than willing and happy to get you started. I am still only a beginner(even though I have had my machine running for 3 years now) and still have a lot to learn.

I have been to the US a couple times to keep in touch with my software people and to get updated info when I have the time to travel to Florida.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Mtw fdu.
Camcutcnc 4 x 4 plasma cutter with UC 100 Motion Controller
Powermax 45 with Machine Torch
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

Take a look at SolidEdge 2d. It's free and works well. I have not used any others. Many years ago I did buy AutoCad and still had it in the original box. Turns out Win95 software is not liked by XP.... lol.
Moorpark Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Moorpark Metals »

Thank you all for the valuable input. I did download solidedge and it is really intuitive for me and seems to suit all my needs. Within 20 minutes I was able to design almost everything I need a table for. Now I just need to learn how to get it into a CAM and find myself an affordable table. I'm now considering starting with a smaller 4x4 until I get a bigger shop. Whats a good price to spend on a 4x4?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Very good first step finding one that you understand and like. SheetCam is a very good CAM and there are many tutorials on YouTube to get you started.
There is good info here about tables to buy, and some here built their own, there are pluses for both but only you can decide which.
If you are leaning toward buying one post questions you may have about it, many different table discussed here too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”