Connected font sign

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
ChristopherBishop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Connected font sign

Post by ChristopherBishop »

So my wife watches the show "Fixer Upper" and the designer on the show has a guy with a Plasma table make her these signs. Well of course this directly translates into me reproducing it for my wife lol. Does anybody know where to get a font like that one where the islands in the cursive letters are connected? I won't be using a Plasma table but a CNC router. I just figured you folks may have a better knowledge of something like this so I stopped by to ask. Any help would be appreciated.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Chopper John
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Connected font sign

Post by Chopper John »

Not sure where to get it, did you check dafont.com? My OMAX layout software has a text tool and this is the best I have, maybe it can get you started until you find something.

Chopper John
Mad City Cycles, Inc.

"Every piece of paper has two good sides... Unless you use magic marker then you're f*cked."
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

There are a multitude or script fonts (Brush Script comes to mind) . Here is what you have to do: Use the Font and lay it out in lines like you want it. Letter tails will overlap the next letter . Now break it apart ( In CorelDraw its Break Text Object Apart) so each letter is a shape. Starting from left to right select the first letter and WELD it to the next one. Then take that combined object and weld it to the next letter , etc, etc. Now comes the art part....You have to go to each letter with an internal closed area (like O's, e's, b's etc) and with a small rectangle the over laps both sides make a "connector" and use the TRIM function . It connects the internal metal to the outside. There probably will not be a script font in a "stencil" format that already has the connectors. It sounds like lot of work (and it is the first time you do it) but you learn tricks like drawing one rectangle and making a bunch of Duplicates you can then move. rotate and even resize for each letter. Once you break a test line apart its no longer a font and just a group of shapes.

Script fonts can be a challenge where the lines get really close and the kerf gets really close or overlaps. I am not too sure this was cut on plasma . Might be water jet or laser .
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

I use this website for almost all of my text... Type in your text, find the font you want, take a screenshot and trace in inkscape. They usually trace perfectly. I use pacifico a lot. It's not the same as your pic but I did see a few there poking around that looked almost identical.

http://www.tattoofontgenerator.net/

Got the tip from here last year. Not sure who to credit for it.
Mrjooj
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mrjooj »

I use this website for almost all of my text http://www.tattoofontmaker.com/fonts/
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

This font is Edwardian Script. It is somewhat close, but will need work on bridges and clean up.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”