Yeehaa, getting a new Powermax 45xp, any set up tips?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Steambike
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Yeehaa, getting a new Powermax 45xp, any set up tips?

Post by Steambike »

So after a year + fighting with a scratch start Chinese import plasma machine (with some ok results, considering... & loads of frustration and scrapped steel) I have been given the green light to get a new machine, rather than going mid point I'm going from the bottom of the barrel to the "Cadillac" & the combo system too , hand and machine torch:), (the Cadillac conclusion is based on everything i've read and help from Jim Colt with consumable selection & much more, (thanks Jim).........so now it's time to step up to the plate, no more excuses now, right?
So my question is, as I anticipate it's arrival next week, do any of you have helpful tips or things I should / should not do when I first set it up to give me a fair chance of reasonable results in the "early days".
I have a homemade 5' x 10' table, ohmic sensing (homemade too) lots of good dry air, designs I want to try out (& post) and plans to buy the $250 bundle from cncdxffiles as well as making original designs, oh yeah, and high hopes:) and i'm concerned that all along the scratch-start was just fine and it's entirely the Bonehead operator......(i was always told it's a poor workman who blames his tools).
Thanks!
Ps.....anyone wanna buy a "scratch start" plasma cheap? It's actually fine for hand use, not so good for machine applications.........maybe I should let it gather dust for a bit?
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Yeehaa, getting a new Powermax 45xp, any set up tips?

Post by Metriccar »

I don't have a45xp but I do have a 65. Best advice I can give is to just follow the cut charts. I know the fine cut setup I have to slow th machine down 10% and raise cut height to .08" per Jim colt but other than that the cut charts were developed after cutting tons of steel and are gold. It's one of the reasons you don't want a Chinese machine on a CNC table
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

Since it is new to you, maybe plan an hour or two or more of doing nothing but test cuts on different thicknesses of stock I attached some test cut files I use to give the torch a workout.....you probably already know this but to test the auto THC just make a straight line cut up hill....place a 2x4 block under one end and let it tackle the incline, watching your target voltage as it cut.......just some exercised to get you and the new torch running as a "team" Dialing in you and your settings as a team :lol: As far as factory setting, I personalyy go 100% by the book settings and they work nicely, BUT having said that I know that each installation and situation is unique and YMMV Also as you try different things take ALOT of notes, may be even pictures.....

Enjoy the new machine, they are the best thing since sliced apples :geek: Here is a link to a recent conversation about Hypertherm longevity

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p138473

Have Fun
Marty

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
Steambike
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Steambike »

Metricar & Marty, thanks so much guys:)
Marty, actually no i'd never heard of excersising the machine before (a few times I figured it needed exorcising though lol), and that and the testing sounds like a great idea, photos & notes is a given for me after all the setup work with the original machine,(i cut TONS of straight lines and circles and rectangles and and and) so i will dedicate as much time as needed to that (it would be nice if its only a day, let alone an hour:).......). Thanks for the files too, they will be put to good use!
Watch this space, i'll let you know how I make out......i have to admit i'm pretty excited!
marcnaz
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by marcnaz »

Well, you prob have the 45xp by now, but start with the cut speeds listed in the manual to start with and go from there. I slowed mine down a little bit from the published speeds on most. My only issue was when I loaded the 45xp "tool set" in Sheetcam many of the pierce delays were zero or too low of a setting. The result looked like the cuts weren't completing, but actually the torch was moving before the pierce was complete. Simple fix, just ensure an adequate pierce delay. As long as you are using a lead in, better the delay a little too long than too short.
Slasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Slasher »

Hope to be in the same boat in a couple months...

Posting so I can find later

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”