Baileigh PT44 retrofit torch height control

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
hardknocksspeedshop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Baileigh PT44 retrofit torch height control

Post by hardknocksspeedshop »

From browsing the pages it appears we have some properly clever people here.
Im hoping someone can help/point in correct direction .
As above, i have a baileigh industrial pt44 table
It runs a richnc/rich auto dsp controller . 0501 is the model (which funnily enough says its for a router , and the 0901 is for plasma)
Ive only recently started cutting sheet that runs the full length of the table and after spending a couple of hours ensuring it was level and flat ive encountered an issue with various thickness material. Being that its not level.
So, time for torch height control .
Please dont suggest i get another machine, this one cost me enough as it is .

I am using an oxford cutmaker 700hd plasma source. Cabpable of 28mm pierce and cut in mild steel and is 100% duty cycle.
It has a raw arc divided voltage of 33:1 .

My questions are, has anyone retrofitted to this unit with the richnc controller OR
Should i ditch that, get myself a usb motion controller linked to a breakout board and run mach3. Then use any form of thc system.

Also, i notice on the proma model (among others) states 50:1 or 100:1 arc voltage. Is that figure its maximum , as in any number from 1:1 to 50:1 etc or is that what it needs to see?
Oxford machines can change my plasma to 50:1 or 100:1 for minimal money.

Any ideas/options ? The richnc board doesnt appear to have the correct input terminals for thc .
Thanks!
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Baileigh PT44 retrofit torch height control

Post by tcaudle »

The Promo and most other after market THC's need control software like MACH that has the logic built in to take UP Down signals and move the Z motor. Even if you had available inputs in that controller they would not do anything .

You choices are:
1. Find a stand alone THC that is self contained and has its own control panel. Even then you will be faced with getting a torch fire signal out and a HOLD signal in and make them work with that controller
2. Contact Baileigh and get a THC that is compatible with your control
3. See i you can figure out if their motor drivers are separate and could be tied to a Breakout card and either run MACH3 with a MACH based THC and replace the front end of the controller with a PC based software controller.
4. Replace the entire controller with one that has a built in THC

It will all depend on how much you want to dig into a system that probably has less than detailed information and if you are willing to risk voiding any warranty on that controller by rooting around in it or making wiring changes.
hardknocksspeedshop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Tcaudle,
Thats exactly what i was looking for.
Baileigh will only offer me a complete control tower with drivers etc , and well if buy that i may as well have brought the pt44vh one first for the extra 5k.
The standalone was my first thought, but as you say, because my control board has zero online technical support, and the designer is flat out chinese its next to impossible.
The more pressing worry is that they have given me a control tower for their router table thats been relabelled.
Wouldnt suprise me, sent me out a router dsp 3 times !

Drivers are separate for sure, leadshine n882 .
I think your option 4 is easiest.
Ditch the dsp and control board and go with mach3, a proma or similiar THC and a breakout board.
As everything is already wired to my existing board, it should be fairly simple.
One last question, i will be running from a laptop,
So should i use only a motion controller OR motion control, into breakout board?
Thanks again dude
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

One last question, i will be running from a laptop,
So should i use only a motion controller OR motion control, into breakout board?
Thanks again dude
Well that just complicated things. You have to get from the Ethernet on the laptop to the parallel port inputs on the BoB and the Ethernet has to support real time inputs for the THC so the interface card has to have firmware that will talk directly to the Z driver and then tell MACH after the fact its a THC move. Its either that or you go with a THC that does not use the MACH3 THC logic and that may still exclude using a laptop as you may need two Ethernet ports.

no , you cannot use a simple USB to parallel port adapter on the laptop and running MACH (which is now you whole software control) on a laptop can get problematic.

For the simplest solution you should consider a legacy setup of MACH3 on a workstation with a parallel port/ conventional BoB and the Promo. Then do you drawing and CAM work on the Laptop and move the cut files tot he control computer . Its not the best solution but given you have been cutting with NO THC anything is better and you don't need much on thicker plate. Once you abandon the DSP device and move to a PC software based controller then you options can open up later for a better, faster set of options. You can do a MACH/parallel port /WIN7 32 bit for less than 1,000.

If you are willing to go with the desktop style computer (even older ones) it opens the option path a lot more. You can get front end interface electronics made to run on Ethernet from the PC and that will drive your motor drivers and handle the I/O and THC functions as well.
hardknocksspeedshop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Ive just re read my question,
That came from my poor understanding of BoB and motion controllers.
I will be ditching dsp setup.
I will be using a usb motion controller that already supports 5 axis and thc that works with mach3
I have found a few that already accept thc .
Being based in the uk makes it tricky to find any real support but i am not worried about dropping £500 on a usb motion controller . Far better than the poor excuse dsp i have, and way more i/on than one parralell port.

That all makes sense to me, hopefully its right.

I massively appreciate your help, so far baileigh have been utterly useless, as have the majority of the "cnc supply" sites online.
hardknocksspeedshop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

To add to that,
I get what you mean about finding a usb motion controller that supports thc.
I have found a few but most likely will use a smooth stepper ess with a razordance thc (as this states it is compatible )
Sorry, i am actually a fabricator welder that just happens
To be reasonably clued up with electrical connection,
But cnc software/hardware is fairly new to me!
hardknocksspeedshop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Did some more research on the smooth stepper,
Theres a supplier in the uk so my thought train is
Ditch the dsp
Laptop ethernet to ESS smooth stepper -breakout bowrd connected to the control tower.
I
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Contact Andrew Shad at Neuron http://www.neuroncnc.com/
Andrew has a stand alone THC that you can run through USB or Ethernet connection without the need for an old out of date PC and provides a back up and support service that is second to none. He will walk you through every step of the way and also provides remote access support to make sure everything is setup 100% correct on your end.
Murray
hardknocksspeedshop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Muzza,
Ive come across neuron before,
My current issue is that i am not running mach3
I am using a dsp handle with usb memory stick.
I am trying to find out if my train of thought with an ess smoothstepper. So,
Laptop ethernet to usb smoothstepper to breakout board to drivers etc

Thanks dude

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”