LEARN YOUR CRAFT!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

LEARN YOUR CRAFT!

Post by little blue choo »

Has anyone else noticed a lot of people on here always asking for free traces or free files. They say they don't have time to do the trace but think someone else does. I've started clicking on their profiles and then on their post and noticing that most if not all of their post are asking for someone to draw something for them or give them a free file. Well I say LEARN TO DO IT! Some have been on here for years and never posted anything other than a request for a file. Don't take me wrong, I'm all for helping people but they need to show me they're trying. Lord I received a lot of help here from others but I always tried do my own first and then maybe ask for tips. Sorry for the rant. Couldn't help myself, just got the third request from the same person wanting me to share a file.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: LEARN YOUR CRAFT!

Post by michmetalman »

Exactly right. If you do it enough it gets REAL easy. I can design a piece in no time flat now. Usually getting the idea in my mind, designing and cutting in less than an hour most times.
Last edited by michmetalman on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by lockeyone »

I have noticed that too. I have not cut anything yet but will soon. Maybe you guys that help regular show help by giving the process but not the file. Probably faster for you to just do it, but doesn't teach. The other thing I notice is that many never share a picture of the final product. I sure would like to see it. If someone takes the time to help with drawing at least share an image of final cut piece.
Last edited by lockeyone on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
taberahkj
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by taberahkj »

I just wish people would use the File Help/Conversion section of the site instead of putting these requests in the general discussion section. I don't want all these request threads filling the other pages when there is one specifically for those requests.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

This is a great point to bring up, To get help with traces go to "Plasma Cutting Software Discussion Forum" many helpful posts are there for drawing programs. I look at it when a poster wants to share the files will be posted here "DXF Art - DXF Clip Art File Sharing Forum" and the posts that are to inspire are here "CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery". Many posted images of finished work are from those who make a living doing plasma work and it is understandable that they don't want to share the file. There are many here that do sell file either in package deal or custom work, buy from them.
There have been many very helpful instructional post showing how to make your own drawings, or links for videos that do the same.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Either that, or pay someone for their service. I use a website that does it for me for a reasonable charge.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Metriccar wrote:Either that, or pay someone for their service. I use a website that does it for me for a reasonable charge.
What site do you use?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

taberahkj wrote:I just wish people would use the File Help/Conversion section of the site instead of putting these requests in the general discussion section. I don't want all these request threads filling the other pages when there is one specifically for those requests.
It would make a difference for a lot of people who don't wish to see them. My self it really doesn't bother me because I have my page set up to show "NEW POST", so I see them all. I just enjoy reading them all. Never know when and where you will learn something.

A lot of these post asking for a trace is for something the simplest free software will do in less than a minute. You have to wonder do they even want to learn or just want a free ride.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Some of them are people who are leeching drawings from this site to sell on fleabay or other. They end up with someone that wants to buy their sleezy leeched CD but asks for a custom drawing as well, so they come here to get the freebee so they can sell it to their customer. Sad thing is that it is very difficult to see who actually needs the help and who is just a sleezeball. These are usually the same people who post one-liners wanting the DXF file instead of the SVG or PCM. They don't have a clue on how to convert it or that the other format will still work...but they can't sell it on their custom DXF CD with thousands of plasma ready files.....

This is not to imply any negativity on those that are on here legitimately selling their own personally created art files. I will support them 100%, this is the losers on Fleabay and Pine-terest selling leeched work that everyone else on here willingly shares for free.

Ok, rant over.....time to go back to my man-cave and do some metal and spark stuff.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Gamelord, I have started going to their profile and look
ing at their post. If all their post are asking for something than I just ignore it. That's how I have been sorting them out. May not be a perfect way but if they have 50 post and all are asking for files or just saying thanks for the file then you pretty well know.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Hmm, I hadn't thought of people doing that. DANG, that's rotten! I guess I just kinda' take for granted that all our members are good people. IN MY DREAMS!!!

Allen
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

little blue choo wrote:My self it really doesn't bother me because I have my page set up to show "NEW POST", so I see them all. I just enjoy reading them all. Never know when and where you will learn something.
Rick
Rick, would you mind explaining how to set the page to show "NEW POSTS" automatically :?:
I found the NEW POSTS in the quick links.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

motoguy wrote:
Metriccar wrote:Either that, or pay someone for their service. I use a website that does it for me for a reasonable charge.
What site do you use?
vectormagic.com.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Old Iron wrote:
little blue choo wrote:My self it really doesn't bother me because I have my page set up to show "NEW POST", so I see them all. I just enjoy reading them all. Never know when and where you will learn something.
Rick
Rick, would you mind explaining how to set the page to show "NEW POSTS" automatically :?:
Hi Old Iron,

Copy the link below, paste it into a new window and open. Once opened save as a favorite and delete the one you had before and every time you visit you will be on the new post page and it will show all post since the last time you were logged on. Hope this helps. Keeps me from missing much.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/search.php? ... d=newposts
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

little blue choo wrote:
Old Iron wrote:
Rick
Hi Old Iron,

Click on link below or Copy and paste it into a new window and open. Once opened save as a favorite and delete the one you had before and every time you visit you will be on the new post page and it will show all post since the last time you were logged on. Hope this helps. Keeps me from missing much.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/search.php? ... d=newposts
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Thanks that worked
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

It is surprising how many people will spend this much money on a table and have absolutely no idea what to do with it... There are so many tutorials out there for pretty much everything you need. I understand once you get past the basics and need a little help but instead of "Can someone make this" the question should be "How do I make this".
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

This is definitely a touchy subject for me and I've made the choice to ignore requests, ESPECIALLY for obvious commercial work. Like the all-too-often-now... "I can't quite get this font right on this $1500-sized commercial sign I just agreed to cut; would you please trace it for me"-guys. Those guys really need to get a reality check from their customers and the promise they should honor with their own work. Hopefully after a few crash and burns, those guys will either learn or burn.

I'm not ever gonna get rich with my table, I know that now; but I'm also not churning out copyrighted sports stuff. Where it get's a little dicey is the area of popular designs that are just generic enough that no one can cry foul. If you want to set up a website and cut 300 of the same thing, then good luck to you... for me, I'd get pretty tired of that kinda grind. But I'm happy for those that have success that way.

All that said, I do think that with brand new folks, it's not a bad idea to try practicing a few tracing challenges from even the known leeches just to get good at it, assuming you want to challenge yourself and get feedback on your skills.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Well said Capstone