Changin Cut Costs on Different Material

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
philb86
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Changin Cut Costs on Different Material

Post by philb86 »

Hello All,

I have been watching and researching on this forum for quite awhile and just recently updated my subscription so that I would be able to see some of the awesome DXF files you guys share.

I decided to take the plunge and purchase a table. I do alot of in house fabrication at home for many people and the ability to cut brackets and such that I make with the table will be a true time saver and alot easier on myself.

I have created my own pricing sheet based off of what people have shown, discussed and made available here on this site. But I have one question that still remains ... How do you compare pricing with different materials? For example, if I charge $ 0.12 per cut inch, and $0.15 per pierce for 3/16" steel, do you charge the same for aluminum and stainless? Obviously, there will be differences in material costs per respective material, but do you change the prices of your pierces and per cut inch.

Any body able to spread light on this?

I appreciate any help that you all can offer.

Phil B
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Changin Cut Costs on Different Material

Post by Capstone »

There is a very well produce desktop app that was created by a fellow member. This app takes your material cost and factors cut distance for the cost per square inch for you. You simply enter the overall sheet cost and it will do all the work. Here's the "about" screen cap. Do a keyword search for your copy and I highly recommend you throw a donation his way. Here's the Thread Plasma Estimator
Plasma Estimator Screen Cap.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
philb86
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by philb86 »

I will take a look at the Capstone, thanks for the heads up. But as far as costs and such, do any of you guys change the cost per inch/pierce based on the material, Al, SS as compared to regular steel? Per my research, and maybe i misunderstood, but the cut speeds are different for the same thickness of different materials, ie, 1/8" aluminum to 1/8" steel. Although time for cut will change, material cost will change, but you would still be cutting the same amount of linear inches and same amount of pierces. I guess the ultimate question is, how does the life of the consumables change for different materials?
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

The strategy with this pricing tool is simply that if you use cut length and then enter the cost per square inch to buy the material, then you're covering all of your costs no matter which type of material it is, and can follow-up with design time/costs and other finishing costs. I would take a look at the program to see what I mean. If you like it and start using it, throw the author a bone.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
philb86
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by philb86 »

Ok will do Capstone. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”