need some help

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
twilliams
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

need some help

Post by twilliams »

What is the best type of material to use when cutting monogram letters out with a CNC router? I am new to this and have been playing around with MDF board (doesn't paint very well) and plywood ( doesn't hold together very good because of the glued together layers). Any advice would be appreciated.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: need some help

Post by Gamelord »

You could do Aluminum.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

If you want to use plywood, Baltic Birch holds up pretty well. It is more expensive than standard plywood, but holds up pretty well. I haven't tried it yet, but I've also been told to use a down-cut spiral bit as it will leave the top edge cleaner (as compared to an up-cut or straight-flute).

You could also get some of the edge-glued pine panels that Home Depot/Lowe's sells. Again, they're not cheap, but it's a lot quicker than gluing, planing, and sanding your own.
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

twilliams wrote:What is the best type of material to use when cutting monogram letters out with a CNC router? I am new to this and have been playing around with MDF board (doesn't paint very well) and plywood ( doesn't hold together very good because of the glued together layers). Any advice would be appreciated.
Plywood will hold up outside for years if you get EXTERIOR plywood with at least 4 or 5 ply. I have made many signs and art pieces from it and have some that are 10 or more years old hung on the outside of the house. Some are natural and some have to be painted every few years. I use from 3/8 to 1" and have had no complaints. :D

Larry

P. S. The thicker the panel the more ply's you want.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”