Adhesive backed standoffs?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Adhesive backed standoffs?

Post by motoguy »

A while back, someone posted some adhesive backed standoffs. I can't find them now, and I'd really like to look at them again! They were like a regular weld-on standoff, but looked to be made of clear plastic. Adhesive pad on one side, threaded metal insert on the other. Imagine these, but with adhesive pad on the "attachment" side, clear plastic bodies, and a threaded nut molded in:

I'm making another sign similar to the one below. Customer wants the same look/color/finish, with his design and some backlighting. Instead of going with 2 steel panels, I'd like to go with AL for the front panel. This will make it lighter (pictured one was HEAVY), and I can clear it and never worry about rust. I was going to build a metal standoff pad (think a 1" strip bent like a Z) for it...weld one end to the steel backer plate, use VHB tape on the other end to hold the aluminum. I planned on using tape to adhere the AL to the steel so I don't have to worry about galvanic reaction between steel and AL. The tape would serve as an insulator. However, it would be nice if the panels could come apart, should the LED's need replaced or something. That made me think of the adhesive stand offs...which I now can't find.

Anyone know the ones I'm talking about, and/or have suggestions? I've been searching Google, but all I'm finding are the white plastic "push pin" style...not what I want. I guess I could always cut a small 18ga circle, weld a nut to it, and use VHB on the back to make my own...but I like the idea of those clear ones. They would look neat with the backlighting.

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Adhesive backed standoffs?

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

i have not seen what you are talking about but i highly recommend not to use adhesive standoffs. What happens if it fail they could come after you or if it fail and hit someone that could be a lawsuit on you. I would do is machine aluminum spacers and weld it to the front peace and bolt it to the back so if you do need to service the led you just unbolt it
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

3M VHB is very strong. Depending on the weight of the sheet, just add plenty of standoffs and clean the surface with Iso Alcohol prior to installing them. I have seen them before on sign hardware web sights. For safety sake maybe you could add a couple of screw fastened safety lanyards.

Check out this link:
http://www.weldmountsystem.com/products ... ndoffs.php
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I would do is machine aluminum spacers and weld it to the front peace and bolt it
That would require aluminum welding, so I would do reverse. Use the standoffs you show, weld to the steel back plate and a couple of decorative round head bolts through the front aluminum. Makes aluminum removeable and of placed properly will not detract from the sign, may even add some decoration.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Bigdogbro1 wrote:Check out this link:
http://www.weldmountsystem.com/products ... ndoffs.php
Man, this looks awesome. I'd love to have the ability to join dissimilar materials without welding. Would the adhesive serve as an adequate insulator between aluminum base metal and stainless standoff, to prevent corrosion of the aluminum?
Last edited by motoguy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

If you are worried that if you glue two pieces together and later they will fall apart read this - -

http://www.magoda.com/industrial/are-yo ... -is-glued/

Then drive your car OR take an airplane flight! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Larry

P.S. I worked in aerospace for many years, lots of stuff is just glued together. :lol:
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

So Larry.......having worked in aerospace, what would be your choice of glue that is available to consumers? I've used, among other things, 3M automotive epoxy but that gets pretty expensive.

Allen
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I have used a product mfg by a company called Faucher, the aluminum fails before the glue.

www.faucher.ca

David
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I contacted Weld Mount. They said their adhesive does provide an insulating layer, so no risk of galvanic corrosion between aluminum panel and stainless standoff. That's good. They also suggested which adhesive to use, with a 6500psi strength. Here's a video of them lifting an engine, using a single bolt held on with their adhesive. Should probably work for any signs I need to do, particularly with multiple standoffs.

https://youtu.be/BMnM8fqNTXg
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

abmetal wrote:So Larry.......having worked in aerospace, what would be your choice of glue that is available to consumers? I've used, among other things, 3M automotive epoxy but that gets pretty expensive.

Allen
Loctite is what I have used for bonding metal to metal. One of the jobs we had was a 2' by 2' aluminum plate that needed to be cut flat (no stress added by clamps) we just put four large drops of Loctite, one near each corner and placed it on our mill table. We took almost a 1/4" off the plate with a 4" cutter in one pass, lots of coolant. Then we knocked it loose with a hammer by hitting it on the edge, we made around 100 of these every month.
Check this out - - http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_w ... mpound.htm
The drop had spread out to about a 2" circle and we never had a plate come loose during cutting.

Larry
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

I have used that....good stuff. Are you aware of any product that has the ability of bonding painted/powdercoated surfaces together? I normally clean off spots to bare metal for bonding but occasionally have a spot or two that isn't practical to do that.

Thanks.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”