Continuity problem, Mech Torch

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
RockFoxFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Continuity problem, Mech Torch

Post by RockFoxFab »

It's pretty bad when you buy a brand new shield and brand new ohmatic connector part number 220719 and you have to put a hose clamp on it to make it work! Already tried the wire trilogies and bending the connector tab closer to make better connection to the shield! Freaking frustrated beyond belief right now! For 8 months I haven't had a problem with it and now I can't keep it working! Jim Colt you have any ideas? Other than leaving the hose clamp on it?
IMG_0307.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Continuity problem, Mech Torch

Post by jimcolt »

The ohmic cap has a tab that needs to make an electrical connection to the shield. The upper side of the ohmic cap needs to have the ohmic connection from your machine electronics. When the shield touches the material (with work ground attached) the circuit is completed and the electronics now have located the surface of the material.

There is no reason for a hose clamp, however the tab on the retaining cap on occasion can be bent....and it is easy to slightly bend it so it contacts the shield. Also check the ohmic wire connection and terminal....I have to put on a new terminal on occasion on my 10 year old machine.

If you for some reason do not want to bend the tab....have your Hypertherm dealer replace the cap under warranty.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Continuity problem, Mech Torch

Post by exapprentice »

Hi "RockFoxFab"

Have you checked under your nozzle for any crud build up that might be happening during your cutting :?: that might stop the contact :(
I don't understand why a hose clip should make it work any better, surely the tab is only a place to connect a crimp onto from the ohmic set up
isn't it just all to do with completing a circuit to get a signal :?:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”