Best Plasma Table

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
compon
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Best Plasma Table

Post by compon »

I am just getting started and have been looking at a plasma table. I have looked at a dozen different tables. ArcLight, Tactical CNC, Dynatorch, PlasmaCam, EZCut, Torchmate.

Any feedback or recommendations.
gs123
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Best Plasma Table

Post by gs123 »

i have a torchmate, but i think my next table will be a mad by jdsquared.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

Depends on what you want to do- if you're planning on cutting 16-gauge artsy stuff, you don't need a $20k table that's capable of heavy production use.
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

thats like asking whats the best pickup truck.
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

Whats the budget and what do you want to do with it?
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

One with a waterjet.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

We've had our 4' x 4' Arclight table for about a month and half, and I have to say it was the perfect choice for us. It has been really easy to learn and use; between the online tutorials they have on their website and the in-person training I took advantage of, I was cutting the day I got it home. I love how all of the cutting parameters for our machine was pre-programmed and pre-installed on the computer that came with the system. I don't know if that is standard on other tables, but as a beginner that was much appreciated. It was super easy to set-up once I got it home; I was probably cutting about 1 1/2 hours after unloading (that includes the times I was distracted by students). I have not had to call support, but based on everything I've heard, and what I saw when I was there getting my training, it's top notch. I overheard one of the tech support guys take a call that I probably could've answered after just watching their videos online, however he walked the caller slowly through step-by-step what to do, and made me feel that I would receive great help if/when I had to call. The price was also right, as I paid much less for the Arclight than the quote I received for a comparable Torchmate. Lastly, they seem like a company that really strives to be cutting edge. I had a chance to see their new ArcMax table when I was there, and it was really impressive. Based on my experiences I would definitely recommend Arclight Dynamics.
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

This question gets asked all the time. The first thing I would look at is the software, because you can break that down into two categories. In-house like Torchmate, Plasmacam, Dynatorch, and others. Then there are machines that run on Mach3. The in-house software machines tend to cost more. If I were to buy another plasma table, I would not hesitate to buy another Plasmacam. I tried a Mach3 machine for a while, but really consider the DesignEdge software by Plasmacam well worth the additional expense. I suppose Dynatorch would also be in the running, as well as JD Squared, mainly due to their linear rails, but I have not had any problems with the Plasmacam so wouldn't put so much concern into it.
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

gs123 wrote:i have a torchmate, but i think my next table will be a mad by jdsquared.
Those seem to be a couple grand more than comparable tables. Also has in house software it looks like.

Whats the extra $$ getting you? Just curious what drives that decision to spend the extra without going all the way up to a professional type machine.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I'm a big fan of my Bulltear / Star Lab setup.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
timberfab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by timberfab »

for me the best table is the one that I built.

A table that you can afford and that makes money. that's the best table.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

To answer this type of question (Whats the best plasma table) you will first need to determine your needs. There are plasma cutting machines produced by over 100 companies worldwide. These tables can vary in size (from 2 x 2 cutting area to 50' x 350') can vary in cost from $3000 to over 1.5 million dollars. There are different designs that are made to run on a John Deere production floor 7 days a week, 3 shifts a day of high productivity..and are expected to still be cutting as well after 20 years of this....and there are some that are made to cut a couple parts a week in a home hobby shop. There are softwares that make it easy for non-savvy computer users, and sophisticated CAM software that calculates cut costs and ties into larger companies ERP/MRP inventory systems. Further...there are entry level 5 x 10 machines that cost less than $15k, and industrial 5 x 10 machines that cost $150k. (there is a huge difference and a market need for both!). And options....up to 4 plasma torches, beveling capability, up to 24 oxyfuel torches, full automation (no settings for operator), auto cleaning water and downdraft tables....etc, etc.

So, determine what is needed for capability, performance, productivity, cut part accuracy and budget (purchase and operating cost)....then we can narrow the hundreds of machine choices down to a much shorter list!

Then we can talk about the many plasma cutters available....either air plasma, conventional industrial plasma or high definition class plasma! (or laser, waterjet).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

compon wrote:I am just getting started and have been looking at a plasma table. I have looked at a dozen different tables. ArcLight, Tactical CNC, Dynatorch, PlasmaCam, EZCut, Torchmate.

Any feedback or recommendations.
timberfab

Post by timberfab »

thank you Jim Colt

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”