Scrap Bin

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
fabjunkie
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Scrap Bin

Post by fabjunkie »

What are you guys doing with your scraps and skeletons? I just started with the table and this stuff is piling up on me. I'm thinking about a 4'x3' open top bin so I can stack half sheet skeletons on end and fill the rest of it with smalls. I thought about making it tilt for emptying it at the scrap yard and looked at dumping hoppers, but I'm not sure if this is necessary. I'll move it around with pallet jack or forklift so no need for casters.

Something like this without the frame and casters.

What are you using?
LDR 5x10, Scribe
Hypertherm PM85, Miller 211
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Scrap Bin

Post by motoguy »

I'm just going to buy a pickup truck bed trailer. I'll throw my scrap steel in it until it's full, then haul it to the local recycler. Right now I don't do enough AL or stainless to be an issue.
2375009_01_78_chevy_truck_bed_trailer_640.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
fabjunkie
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fabjunkie »

I like the truck bed trailer idea if you you can score one cheap enough. I've had two that I've built before for nothing. They'd be perfect now.

Come on guys, unless you guys are just throwing it outside you have to have something.
LDR 5x10, Scribe
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

This was me yesterday. I don't know what scrap brings, but I bet it's hardly worth loading up and taking in right now. I just keep a couple of 55 gallon drums outside the shop and move them when they're full. After each sheet, I cut up the skeleton with a hand torch and ditch all the small pieces. I try to keep pieces large enough to be useful, but I'm overflowing with "good scrap" now, so I'm throwing away more than I used to.

Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

shiner2001 wrote:This was me yesterday. I don't know what scrap brings, but I bet it's hardly worth loading up and taking in right now.
Yeah, my last trailer load only brought $40 or so. I really just need somewhere convenient to put all the scrap, and being able to easily haul it all off when full is a bonus. Plus, I get some consumable money out of it. lol
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Around here scrappies make a living out of cruising neighborhoods and hauling scrap for $$$$. I approached one guy and asked if he'd like me to text him when I have some scrap metal. Gave me his cell number and now I put my scrap out by the mailbox, shoot him a text and within an hour it's gone.
It is not usually a lot as I don't let it build up as I don't have room and I don't want neighbors complaining but he doesn't mind as he combines it with his other hauls.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
http://ikescreations.com
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

Big poly totes with the built in pallet works great if you have a skidsteer/forklift or even a crane you can pick it up and set in the bed of a truck or on a trailer.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

I use two plastic drums inside when they get full transferred to this till I need it for something else, The bride Couldn't understand why I was spending all that money on a trailer while I was building it, now she loves this thing, She did (all) of the rock work. Note the plastic tub and the rust?

PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

I just load the used up sheets on the trailer. When I need to use the trailer, the scrap yard is pretty much on the way to anywhere from here. I used to stack them on the ground and then load the trailer when I had enough material to make it worthwhile. But they don't give any more for 500 lbs vs 5000 lbs so it really didn't matter anyway. The bigger problem with stacking and them moving them to the trailer was they always seem to get tangled and become almost impossible to move.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I consider myself really lucky. I have a welder friend who works mostly in aluminum, he has two huge bins one for steel and one for aluminum. I use lots of his offcuts from the bins and return the even smaller scraps. Any scrap that I generate from purchased sheets I can also put in his bins.
David
fabjunkie
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fabjunkie »

I like the IBC tote idea, just cut the top off and there ya go. I actually just yesterday discovered a guy not far from here selling them. I do have a forklift so loading anything isn't an issue.

I'm really leaning towards a pick up trailer or just a small one like steel 35's. Just seems like the easiest way to go about it. I've been thinking of a hydraulic tilt pick up bed trailer for dirt/gravel duty anyway, so it could be a double duty unit. I was looking for something I could work with on Craigslist the other day and ended up with a set of seats for my old truck.
LDR 5x10, Scribe
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

fabjunkie wrote: I'm really leaning towards a pick up trailer or just a small one like steel 35's. Just seems like the easiest way to go about it. I've been thinking of a hydraulic tilt pick up bed trailer for dirt/gravel duty anyway, so it could be a double duty unit. I was looking for something I could work with on Craigslist the other day and ended up with a set of seats for my old truck.
I want a solid floor, so little pieces don't fall out. Solid sides and back, which can be opened. The ability to take whole 4x8 skeletons is good as well. A full size truck bed trailer appears to be the cheapest way to meet those criteria.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I have a 6 yard dumpster that the scrap yard set for me. When it gets full I call them and they bring me an empty, pick up the full one, charge me $25 and pay me the difference on the going rate that day, in cash.
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

We have two 4 yard all steel boxes that are about 4 feet tall all the small stuff goes in here.Full Skeleton sheets just get stacked on to a couple of long pallets that we move with the fork lifts. Aluminum has its own metal box. At times we generate a lot of scrap. That said my closest scrap yard about a two hour round trip away.
So for about the last 4 years I just give the stuff away there are two different guys who come when I call and clean everything out, they do a nice/clean job. When they are here there on my insurance.
I simply put an add in craig's list ,free scrap you haul. Here's the deal last time we hauled our own scrap, all the boxes, skeletons etc, strapped down on a lowboy trailer that took about 4 hours loading/hauling. At the scrap yard they had us back up to there magnet to unload, the real surprise was when my driver returned and was unloading the empty boxes he found that two of our new Michelin tires were gashed, apparently the magnet at the scrap yard has issues and kept dropping some of the scrap and some crashed up along side the trailer by the back axles.
Our haul on this deal was 455.00, after the replacement of the two tires ,fuel, drivers time etc I lost money.
The scrap yard drop off box works good and that's what did in the past however our local scraper went out of business. California laws finished him off.
chevybythesea
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by chevybythesea »

Scrap here really has very little value - so I donate all mine to the local high school welding program. They love it, use it for all sort of projects. I get a (very minor) tax write-off, and they get all sorts of gauges of metal. Win-win.
5x10 ArcLight Dynamics Plasma table
http://www.thesteelyardinc.net
Stout

Post by Stout »

Anyone want to guess the weight?

Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by lockeyone »

1800 lbs
Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

2950 lbs
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Stout

Post by Stout »

I had guessed 5,000 lbs but it was a bit more. 5,520 lbs at $0.04 a pound.

Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by lockeyone »

Wow, I was looking at how the trailer/tires were squatting, didn't look that low. Must have some good tires and springs on it.
Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

i used ibc totes (275ish gallon things) cut the top off. but the get beat up real quick and if the forklift guy at the scrap yard is having a bad day will tear them apart the first time he unloads them. mostly i pile sheet rems on pallets and smaller scraps in 50 gallon drums. for big projects i have the scrap yard deliver a dumpster that usually 7-10k in it by the time it gets picked up

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”