Driveway welcome sign Help

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Complete_Loser
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Driveway welcome sign Help

Post by Complete_Loser »

Well, ive always had this (vague) idea of what I want at the front of my driveway. But now that i start to make it, I just cant get the gears turning.

So anyways, I have this giant metal circle. Its about 1/2"x2" wide barstock that has been bent into a circle (ring). The circle is 44.5" in dia.
Its actually from a company that used to build steam rollers. This is just one of the end rims from a roller that had a defect.
So anyways, ive always imagined using that, planted halfway in the ground, and having some art hanging inside of it. But what ive come up with, i would have to squash the circle into an oval. Not a big deal. Just wondering what yall thing would be best, or what would look better.
Once squished, the 44.5" ring would easily exceed 4ft wide.

I drew this up real quick. Its not to scale. You have to look close for the chain links.
Wondering how i would fix the ring so it would stand up? How far to bury it in the ground, if at all?
ExportzXcvZXv.jpg
Any thoughts are much appreciated. :idea:

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

You want it done cheap and fast, it wont be right.
You want it done right and fast, it wont be cheap.

You want it done right and cheap.., come back in a year..
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Driveway welcome sign Help

Post by jeeplogic83 »

If your in Indiana and you bury the ring in the ground the snow will cover it, in a good storm. Why don't you weld some legs to the ring and bury them that way the sign will be at eye level when you pull in your driveway. Also you won't rust out the ring. You could also weld some short pieces of tube/pipe to the ring then larger diameter tube/pipe in the ground and bolt the upper to the lower. On devils night you could bring it in the garage to protect it from vandals.
JM $.02

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”