Ag Teacher looking for ideas

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
teamroper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Ag Teacher looking for ideas

Post by teamroper »

Hi everyone, I introduced myself a few days ago in the General area. I'm an Ag Teacher with a new plasma machine. I am trying to collect good ideas for student projects.

I'm needing ideas for using the CNC to cut details that we use for small welding projects. Simple projects that begging g welding students can take home with them.
Serenityfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Ag Teacher looking for ideas

Post by Serenityfab »

Have them make and design things that are useful on the farm or ranch. Tack hangers, cup holders (stuff for tractors), name plates, tool holders, brackets, tool organizers and racks for the shops. They could design custom bumpers, battery boxes, Jeep accessories, hitches and covers, The list is endless. What would make your (their) life / work easier? Fire pits, custom anything. Look in catalogs, online and even trolling this forum. Custom Lighting? Kitchen spice racks.... Project ideas are no problem. It's narrowing your focus to one thing and then designing it.
Serenity Metalworks
Bozeman, Montana
Plasmacam with homemade vent hood and Penn State dust collector
Hypertherm torch
It's not the size of your shop but what you do with the tools inside!
Serenityfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Serenityfab »

Did I forget things around your school shop? to Organize it, make tools etc. Storage ideas like grinder and drill racks....
Serenity Metalworks
Bozeman, Montana
Plasmacam with homemade vent hood and Penn State dust collector
Hypertherm torch
It's not the size of your shop but what you do with the tools inside!
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

Due to the poor and often plastic construction on the "pin"/toolbox on most tractors today, design a nice tractor toolbox.
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
otisa2007
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by otisa2007 »

there are lots of good ideas on here i know a couple years ago when my daughter and nephew were in highschool i helped the local ag teacher get their plasma machine going and simple shelves like serenityfab shared a day or two ago would work good also the small firepits and shop organization stuff works good
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

We just got our table, too, and I've been looking at projects for my Metal Fabrication class next semester. Here's a couple that I've come up with that we are planning to make next semester:

- School logo hitch covers. This will be their first project on the CNC. I will have the drawing set up, then with my supervision they will go through and cut the prepared file out.

- Coat/key/whatever hook similar to one of these: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21354 or https://www.etsy.com/listing/171040950/ ... p-header-2. I will give them the base of the hook, and require them to add a design of their own to the top.

- Monogram sign: There are several ideas on this thread: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... am#p126566. They will have to design this in Inkscape from the ground up based on step-by-step directions that I give them.

- I'm working to integrate more CAD into my program as well, so I'm looking for some kind of useful bracket that I can have them draw out in Rhino. I haven't figured out exactly what I want them to do there, yet, but I'm working on it.

Tim
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”