Fishing in my water table SUCKS. Thoughts?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Fishing in my water table SUCKS. Thoughts?

Post by gamble »

My water table is freeeeeeeeeeeezing. Even for grabbing a quick part and when I have to fish for things it sucks.

I tried a el cheapo fish tank heater and what I found is that it may heat one section of the water. With all the metal and sludge that builds up plus the slats each row of water between slats has a different temp, doesn't really flow too well. Today I poured boiling hot water over the area I had to fish and one side was warm and 2 inches next to it freezing cold.

Anyone have any ideas for this? I don't need it hot but just something like 50* or higher would be nice.

I was thinking, has anyone toyed with the idea of putting a heating mat on the bottom side of the table? Wondering what you guys think of this and which ones if any would be a good idea to use. Something that is low current draw and can be left on for awhile and if it gets wet it's not a big deal. My inital thought was a carbon fiber pad they use in heated seats but not sure if it would be hot enough?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Fishing in my water table SUCKS. Thoughts?

Post by Old Iron »

Might try a waterbed heater.
They're thermostatically controlled.
Put the mat on the bottom side of the table the sensor in the water, turn it on low and leave it.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

If I have a part small enough to fall between the slats, I use a magnet to retrieve it. No cold water, no wet hands.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Like Steve, I just use a magnet. Just thought, that want work if you're cutting stainless or Alum.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

My LDR table has a tank built in. I just lower the water and retrieve my parts. Fill the water again and continue cutting. Takes less than a minute to drain and same to refill.
There are other systems on this forum.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

All my stuff is aluminum or stainless. Wish it was magnetic lol
My table doesn't have an auto fill. I fill it with 5 gallon bucket one at a time or the hose
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
chevybythesea
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by chevybythesea »

I too use a magnet, or fish. Haven't found a good economical way to heat my whole water table - I overbuilt, so it is about 12' x 6', with about 10" deep of water.

I'm curious if the waterbed heater works, and if it would work for that large of an area....
5x10 ArcLight Dynamics Plasma table
http://www.thesteelyardinc.net
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

I have heat trace tape on the bottom of my table - I used Aluminum tape to hold it in place, then I bought a thermostatic receptacle to plug it in. It turns it on when ambient reaches 34°F.

I have this in combination of I use expanded metal on my slats so I never retrieve parts.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Waterbed heater is a great idea. If I was going to do that, I'd give that a shot. I just use a magnet as all my stuff is steel.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

Haven't fished for a couple of years. Just use expanded metal. No tip ups either.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

OTHill wrote:Haven't fished for a couple of years. Just use expanded metal. No tip ups either.
Do you leave the exp metal on all the time? Do you cut thicker stuff, or thin stuff only? I love the exp metal when I'm cutting up to 1/8, but I'm afraid I'll just chop it up when cutting thicker than that. I cut it into 2' wide strips, so I can pull it off the table/replace easily.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I leave it on all the time.Have cut tons of stuff out of 3/16 at 45 Amps and never cut through it.It eventually plugs up if I cut to much in one spot.I shift my work around some and also swap ends on the exp. metal some before it plugs up solid.I cut some 3/8" at 65 amp the other day and didn't notice any cutting through.Not saying it never would.If I was cutting a lot of heavier parts at 65 amps I would just call it a consumable and throw it in the scrap pile when it got to bad.I don't have a breakaway on my torch and don't even think about it.When I press the run button I turn around and walk away from it.Just my 2 cents worth tho.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Addition: I see Motoguy that you have an 85 Amp machine .That is a different scenario.Just play around with it I guess.Down time from tip ups and crashes can't be free either.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I put stick on oilpan heaters on my vehicles in addition to the block heater. They come in different sizes, shapes and current draw. They stick tight and do not come off. Add a 110 thermostat probe and that might work.
I put on the gauntlets that I use for my acid bath and pick with those.
david
v8vic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by v8vic »

You might try holding tank heaters. They're pads that stick on the bottom of water tanks on rvs. They're designed to run for extended periods and use little electricity. Probably 12 volt though.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”