Gouging / Scarfing with Hyp 65?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Gouging / Scarfing with Hyp 65?

Post by steel 35 »

My machine did it quiet well until I turned off the corner path rules. (Unwanted) now I want too.
I found it was changing the current in mach and on the Hypertherm by lowering it very near 50% sometimes it would do it for 8 to 10"s. Wish I had the xp 45 sounds like it would be easy to do what I want. Cant do that.
What I want to do is make lines in fish tails & fins with out piercing through anybody tried and have suggestions ?
I have done it by hand with a cut off wheel, and by hand lowering the current and pushing the arc, I wiggle to much by hand and the grinder's have blessed me too many times :lol:
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Gouging / Scarfing with Hyp 65?

Post by tnbndr »

I foresee a scribe in your future! Perfect for doing just this.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

For plasma marking to work well and have good quality and controllable depth and width....you need a system that will operate at between 10 and 15 amps, you need a specially designed marking nozzle (lower energy density, lower air flow), and you need to be able to use argon as the gas if you desire best quality marks, air if speed and deeper marks are acceptable. Height control is important as well....and marking works best with higher torch to work distance as compared to cutting...typically .100" to .200" for best results.

Here is what I would try for best marking quality with a Powermax65:, use argon regulated to between 90 and 120 psi (instead of air). Set amperage at minimum (25 amps), put the mode switch in gouging mode (lower air pressure), set gas pressure to auto mode. Set height control or arc voltage so the standoff height is about .150". Cut speed for a deeper mark will be between 100 and 200 ipm, for finer marks, 200 to 400 ipm. Use the 65 amps shielded consumables for best results.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

I am deep into it today. Thank you
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

Please keep us all posted with the outcome. I'd be interested in viewing images of all tests with cut parameter details.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Now I am deep into the snow this storm is going to be a good one.
The Marking was very close to what I am looking for as Jim posted but as I expected going to be trouble fixing start & stop holes; I need to check into another post I have read about on here in the past about torch off before movement stops, more digging and I could care less if its consistent where it stops for a fish.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”