New Plasma burner here

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Eric
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New Plasma burner here

Post by Eric »

Hi, my name is Eric, I'm new here and new to plasma cutting. I have been cutting steel plate with cnc oxy propane machines for 15 years. I have recently switched machines at work and am now operating a two torch hypertherm plasma machine. I've been on the machine for two weeks now and have been cutting everything form 10 gauge to 1.5" thick steel. I would like to get into drawing my own parts. Our machine cuts best with DXF files. What programs would you suggest I use? I am not the best with computers so the most user friendly would probably be best. I will keep adding questions to this thread and post pictures of my progress as a plasma burner. This is the machine I am operating.

Sorry for the sideways picture, I don't know how to fix it.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Plasma burner here

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome Eric many here to help.
There are a large number of drawing programs that could be use, some free and some very powerful (expensive). I had no experience with drawing when I started but have be able to draw what I need by learning on my own. The one thing I have found with any program is the functions are call by different names by different writers, and they all seem to have the same or similar function. Depending on how complex the drawing you want to make will help in finding a program for you. I use TurboCad 20 deluxe and if cost about $50 you can find it on Amazon or Ebay, a free one is QCAD and there are others. The appearance on the screen is different but they can do the same things, many will give you the ability to save in DXF format. The section on software discussion you will fine other CAD programs used by members and I'm sure other will post info about the programs they use. Many programs have Youtube tutorials and informational videos that will help too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Eric
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Eric »

ok, I'll check those out, thank you for the response.
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

You might also have a look at SolidEdge. There is a free 2D version and I am guessing the paid version would handle complex projects. I am still new to the world of CNC plasma cutting and have been using SolidEdge 2D as my first leaning tool. Lots of YouTube videos online. I have learned not to bounce around between mutiple software programs- just picking one and sticking with it until I get a really good handle on it. As acourtjester mentioned, they seem to all have the same basic functionality but it gets confusing due to the different labels or names of those simular functions.
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

I use DraftSight and QCAD (for the files that Draftsight won't open for one reason or another).

Most of the artsy fartsy sign stuff I've been doing lately I have been doing in Inkscape.

Everything I've been using is free on the net.

I'd like to see more about your machine though... Do you have a thread on it somewhere?
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

Welcome. Where are you located? I was going to apply for a "Metal Burner" job with multiple heads a couple months ago, but I did'nt get a straight answer of what that job may be. As I can tell by your picture, I see it's the same thing that I used to be professionally for a couple years, a CNC Plasma Operator.

As of right now, I use QCAD for CAD projects, but in the field I used Shop Data Systems, where my boss used DraftSight.
Unvevo

Post by Unvevo »

Welcome! Very nice setup!
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

Eric,
I also use TurboCad Deluxe. It had a steep learning curve....but virtually any powerful drawing software will require a dedicated effort to become proficient in. With all the help available online you will be able to come up to speed if you stick to it long enough. Being able to draw your own parts is a powerful thing and really adds to your skill set, it is very much worth the effort to push through the learning.

-Scott
Eric
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Eric »

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm located in British Columbia, Canada.
I don't have many pictures or videos of the Machines on my phone, I'll be sure to take some more when I get back from Holidays in the new year.
Scott, thanks for your advise, its easy to get discouraged and I have a bit.... I'm planning on taking a beginner cad course in January. I think a classroom setting and some direct help will help me. I have access to a lot of steel (literally tons and tons) and two beautiful plasma machines so learning to draw dxf drawings seems like a no brainer to me.

I'll keep you guys updated regularly

Cheers, Eric
Eric
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Eric »

I have little more information now that I'm settling into running this machine.
The machine I'm running uses two Hypertherm HPR400XD torches with the Hypertherm EDGE Pro unit. We have two of these machines in our shop. The tables we are using are 126" wide and 580" long with a down draft Camfil ventalation system. This machine seems very durable and holds up to heavy use 18 hrs a day 6 days a week. I'm really enjoying my time operating this machine.

Eric
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Eric »

I've tried up loading videos but it does not seem to be working for me.
We mostly cut 3/16 - 1.25" on these machines. we will cut up to 2" with them but we have 3 oxy propane machines that handle our thicker steel( 2"-10").

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”