Do CopperPlus electrodes remove the need to adjust voltage due to wear?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Do CopperPlus electrodes remove the need to adjust voltage due to wear?

Post by motoguy »

Somehow, I ended up completely backward on the CopperPlus electrodes...thinking they were for 1/2"+ materials, and didn't work well with the Finecut nozzles. Now that I've been straightened out, I want to order some. 90% of my stuff is 10g or thinner, so these might be helpful.

With the standard electrodes, I have to bump the arc voltage as the electrode wears. As the pit recesses, the arc length stays the same, which means the tip of the nozzle works it's way closer and closer to the metal (by the same amount as the pit depth). Usually I'll check the electrode pit and guesstimate how much I need to raise the voltage to compensate. Sometimes I overlook the amount of cutting done, and don't notice the pit wear until the torch drags the metal. :/

Since the CopperPlus electrodes feed the hafnium out as they wear, does the torch tip stay in the same place (relative to the metal) as the electrode wears? Does the torch NOT "creep" it's way down as the electrode wears? If so, that would be great...then I can stick with the same cut voltage for a given material, and not have to guesstimate compensation based on the electrode wear.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Do CopperPlus electrodes remove the need to adjust voltage due to wear?

Post by SeanP »

Not sure about the copper plus sorry, but regards the torch lowering do you not keep noting the z dro dropping as it comes off thc delay, that's the one I keep an eye out on, providing there is no flex in the plate and the material is flat enough it should stay put as it comes off thc delay if volts are right.

Or if you not sure what volts should be set at, due to wear say, I turn off thc see what volts are as the cut comes off thc delay, quick adjust volts to match volts at torch and turn thc button back on, can do that ok down to 2mm, thinner than that gets a bit tricky :)
Mines a parallel port/bladerunner, not sure if you can do that with ethernet though.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I do not adjust my voltage as consumables wear! I have not noticed this creep that you mention. It seems to me the spring loaded electrode would adjust for any electrode wear. I'm sure Jim Colt will have more to say.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

-In theory you will not need to change the arc voltage setting as often with the copper plus electrodes.....though the physical cut height is the most important factor.....not the arc voltage. Make sure that at whatever voltage you are running....that the cut height is correct for best results. Some torch height control systems do not require a voltage setting....rather they use a voltage sample taken at the beginning of each cut...and the height control locks on that voltage until the next cut. This type of height control automatically compensates for electrode wear and always maintains the correct physical cut height.

- Copper plus will show life advantages and lower operating cost on materials 1/2" thick and thinner. On thicker materials there is no advantage.

-Copper plus works just fine with the Finecut consumables. (my experience).

Jim Colt

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”