Torch Consumables Stuck

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Torch Consumables Stuck

Post by SONIC »

I keep getting this error and it's starting to drive me nuts!

Everything will be running fine and when it goes to start the next pierce nothing, get the consumables stuck error code. 9 times out of 10 i can just hit the torch start button and all is well and it keeps cutting. Sometimes I have to remove the consumables and put them back on.
It kind of defeats the purpose of a CNC when I have to sit there clicking buttons and changing parts for it to work!

I've changed consumables, changed the swirl ring, tired different input pressures, confirmed 90+psi at the inlet to the hypertherm.
I don't have an air drier, but the air runs through 4 water traps before the machine and I can spray paper with an air gun indefinitely with no water showing. Running on a 15HP 120Gal compressor.

Anyone have any ideas?

Another thought,
Is there a way in mach or post to tell it to retry if the arc doesnt fire? Maybe wait 15 seconds and try again?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Consumables Stuck

Post by tcaudle »

Lets analyze what a stuck consumable is. There is only one moving part in most torches. Since you don't list the plasma brand I will assume its a Hypertherm. The Electrode moves back from the nozzle when the air turns on ("Blowback Start"). A spring behind it returns it to the rest position (down against the nozzle) So if its stuck you won't get the blowback arc action. If you have changed the swirl ring and checked the cavity where the electrode slides up and down and the action of the spring (push it up and down and see if anything drags or sticks) and its all good there is an O-ring that keeps the air in the chamber that may be worn. Its good that it warns you because it could destroy consumables if it fired anyway.

The electrode has to slide easily up and down and the air has to be enough to cause the electrode to retract at exactly the right time.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you are using a hypetherm machine torch and are getting a 0-30 fault it could be the switch in the torch for the consumables.
It is an internal switch shown in the image attached.
DSCN1660 A.jpg
DSCN1665.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

Hypertherm factory consumables?
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

There are a lot of posts on the forum about this subject. I had the same issues. I thought there was no way it could be moisture. Three desiccant dryers and a motor gard. I added drip legs, another desiccant dyer and it stopped the stuck consumable codes. I am in the process of adding an air dryer, which I think will further help my cutting.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The stuck consumables (assuming the system is a Hypertherm) are caused by:

- Using worn out consumables. The swirl ring is used for a long time in Hypertherm torches.....as it can appear new after many electrode and nozzle changes. One function of the swirl ring is to act as a bearing to allow the electrode to slide inside the torch for the plasma ionization starting process. A worn swirl ring can affect that. Worn electrode will cause this error code....refer to the section in the operators manual to help you determine when to change the electrode. A worn retaining cap can cause this error as well....the cap has internal air passages that can become damaged or clogged, inhibiting the air flow / pressure required to slide the electrode.
- Aftermarket consumables. I suggest you don't use these at all. They cost less than Hypertherm brand consumables....but don't last as long, are not produced to the same tolerance specs as genuine, and can damage your torch. They often cause the stuck consumable error.
-Inlet air starvation is a momentary pressure drop right at the inlet of the air to the plasma cutter. To determine if this is the case a pressure gauge must be hard plumbed right at the inlet. Do not rely on a gauge located anywhere else. If you see this gauge drop below 90 psi at the start of a cut....even momentarily, expect to see stuck consumables. Inlet starvation can be caused by: 1. air supply hose too small or too long. You must have at least 3/8" ID up to 50' length, 1/2" ID on longer lengths. 2. Too many filters, water traps, fittings, valves in your air line will cause pressure drop and air starvation at the beginning of a cut. 3. Clogged or moisture saturated filters. 4. Clogged , dirty internal filter. 5. Piercing too close...or in contact with the material will cause blockage of air flow, stuck consumables. Be sure you are always piercing at the pierce height recommended in the operators manual.

The whole idea of error codes is to indicate that something is wrong. If the above does not solve the issue...contact technical service at Hypertherm. The staff is well trained, have a lot of experience (around 500,000 Powermax units in the field), they are friendly and free. technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”