Idea for breakaway sensor on magnetic torch mount

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Idea for breakaway sensor on magnetic torch mount

Post by motoguy »

Had a couple of issues today. Cutting 1/4", and had my DTHC active time too low. Torch ended up dropping down into the pool and dragging. Unfortunately, this occurred (a couple of times) while I was not paying attention to the table. I was able to go back and re-cut the part, but it sure would have been nice if the system shut down when the torch was moved from the mount.

I'd like to see ideas for your implement of a "breakaway e-stop" setup. I've got a Bulltear table, and the entire torch mount is attached magnetically. it should be pretty easy to add a switch there, to send an e-stop signal when the torch moves.

I'll do some Google searching in the morning, but for now I thought I'd drop this here while I'm thinking about it. :)
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Idea for breakaway sensor on magnetic torch mount

Post by Bigrhamr »

These guys have a breakaway mount with e-stop circuit built into it. You probably don't want to buy the whole setup but it's somewhere to look for ideas. http://plasmatorchprotectionsystem.com/
VPT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by VPT »

Possibly just a simple break away wire connection for the plasma cutter trigger wire? The table should stop as well when no cutting signal is seen.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

All you gotta do is get a NC switch in the mount that opens if the torch mount moves and tie it to the EPO on the internal Table I/) . Estop works better than trying to use a LIMIT because limits can be ignored if you happen to be in a homing move. If you happen to have the Feather touch and set it up so the old touch off switch is no the E-stop yoou can add the breakaway NC inot the Estop "loop by take out the Jumper on the FT01 labeled LIMITS and wiring in the breakaway switch. Turn off the torch is not a good idea because that action doesn't generate a fault you can use to stop motion.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Any switch you have mounted on the lower portion of the Z axis is a consumable. For this reason we mount a switch on top behind the Z axis on the proton. It will trip E-stop when the Z axis over travels in either direction. If the torch hit something and falls off the E-stop will activate because torch height control will bring the Z axis to its lower limit. If the machine is traveling and it hits a tip up the Z axis will travel down until it hits E-stop. If your torch falls off it should arc out and the system will loose the arc ok and stop traveling.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

BTA Plasma wrote:Any switch you have mounted on the lower portion of the Z axis is a consumable. For this reason we mount a switch on top behind the Z axis on the proton. It will trip E-stop when the Z axis over travels in either direction. If the torch hit something and falls off the E-stop will activate because torch height control will bring the Z axis to its lower limit. If the machine is traveling and it hits a tip up the Z axis will travel down until it hits E-stop. If your torch falls off it should arc out and the system will loose the arc ok and stop traveling.
What usually happens to me, is the torch catches something just enough to twist the mag mount, but not actually knock the torch off. So the mag mount protects the torch, as intended. However, the torch continues traveling/cutting, while cocked at some odd angle. This off track angle may gouge/cut the metal enough that I can't just rewind and cut from a good point.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

What is your rapid clearance plane? What about your plunge safety plane? Check those in sheetcam/options/job options.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Rapid clearance .5, plunge safety .3
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

tcaudle wrote:All you gotta do is get a NC switch in the mount that opens if the torch mount moves and tie it to the EPO on the internal Table I/) . Estop works better than trying to use a LIMIT because limits can be ignored if you happen to be in a homing move. If you happen to have the Feather touch and set it up so the old touch off switch is no the E-stop yoou can add the breakaway NC inot the Estop "loop by take out the Jumper on the FT01 labeled LIMITS and wiring in the breakaway switch. Turn off the torch is not a good idea because that action doesn't generate a fault you can use to stop motion.
I have a Bulltear table. I do have feathertouch, but the Bulltear table does not have a touch-off switch. It relies on Ohmic alone.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

A secondary slide adds slop to the system. This is why you see machines that cannot cut at book speeds. The magnetic, limit and ballscrew is the most rigid system you can have with a safety factory. I would bring your rapid clearance up to at least .9. Maybe even over an inch.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I'm quite happy with the maglok setup. It's saved the torch from my inattention on several occasions. :) I think it would be perfect if it had a way to stop motion when there's a deviation from vertical.
East German

Post by East German »

Hallo,

my Table makes Feedhold and Torch /Relais out .
That's my setting

By Feedhold is the Zero Point ok by Reset or Stop not.

Regards Peter

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

motoguy wrote:
tcaudle wrote:All you gotta do is get a NC switch in the mount that opens if the torch mount moves and tie it to the EPO on the internal Table I/) . Estop works better than trying to use a LIMIT because limits can be ignored if you happen to be in a homing move. If you happen to have the Feather touch and set it up so the old touch off switch is no the E-stop yoou can add the breakaway NC inot the Estop "loop by take out the Jumper on the FT01 labeled LIMITS and wiring in the breakaway switch. Turn off the torch is not a good idea because that action doesn't generate a fault you can use to stop motion.
I have a Bulltear table. I do have feathertouch, but the Bulltear table does not have a touch-off switch. It relies on Ohmic alone.
All you have to do is mount a NC microswtich so if the torch displaces it will trip. even two in series if needed then use the LIMIT jumper on the FT-01 and remove the EPO jumper in the controller.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I like the look of something like this. I already know how Matt feels about it. ;) I'd like something that can stop the torch after a minor collision. I no longer babysit my table like I used to do. Anymore, I just listen for "that doesn't sound right" noises before I investigate. This type of thing would e-stop the system on strikes that can dislodge the torch, but not knock it all the way off the mag mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Plasma-Flam ... SwA4dWHhtC

https://smile.amazon.com/KOHSTAR-Cuttin ... sion+clamp
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

We have some sensors coming in that are very very slim that will fit behind your Mag-Lok and if tied to limit will stop the machine if the Mag-Lok moves .060". That will eliminate the issue. BUT be forwarned that it is another wire to hook up so this means if you want to put a router on you will need to address the switch or swap back plates onto the nut/slide.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

There are several issues with that troch mount you listed. The first being that is will require an outside 24 volt power supply for the proximity sensors OR a different plunger switch and they are not known to be a accurate way to stop the machine from a 360 degree collision.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

BTA Plasma wrote:We have some sensors coming in that are very very slim that will fit behind your Mag-Lok and if tied to limit will stop the machine if the Mag-Lok moves .060". That will eliminate the issue. BUT be forwarned that it is another wire to hook up so this means if you want to put a router on you will need to address the switch or swap back plates onto the nut/slide.
If you've got a setup coming that's a bolt on for your existing hardware, I'll go that way. :)
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

That's a great idea motoguy... Lord knows I've been known to have marathon torch breakaway sessions from time to time. I think I'll look into adding something like this myself.
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

I installed a http://www.plasmatorchprotectionsystem.com electronic e-stop control on my Torch mate 3 CNC plasma table 2 years ago, and its one of the best investments I have made on this table, I don't have to baby sit the thing anymore when cutting. I put a sheet on the table hit start and go and do something else. In the event of a crash / tilt up the torch mount will move to protect itself and at the same time its internal switch will stop gantry movement and plasma arc. Once the tilt up/crash or whatever is removed or corrected the plasma torch simply resets into vertical position and self resets its internal switch.
jakeg
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jakeg »

Following to see what Matt comes up with. After a year or two of watching my table I have got pretty good at listing for "THAT DOESN'T SOUND GOOD" :lol: It can add to the custom sign when a line is 1/4 off from the other Dad's Gerage signs. It's officaily custom and i can charge more ;)
SPRINGER
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SPRINGER »

Many CNC Plasma cutting machine manufacturers, include as a standard component on their machines,a Collision Sensor on their equipment. Very cost effective, saves your torch from crashes, stops immediately.

Please see the web site : http://rad-ra.com/rad-home/collision-se ... n-sensors/

They have been in business since 1984, the first company to design and build collision sensors. Has saved us a ton of money.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”