welding ideas? -For Welding Classes

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

welding ideas? -For Welding Classes

Post by elkriverfab »

I have been approached several times about offering a beginning welding class here at my home.

It would be a small group of people at first maybe (6).

My question is, does anyone have some good beginner welding projects that would be easy for beginners but fun and useful also?

Just putting together a list of activities and thought I would ask.

I have been so consumed with technical designs, detailed art and so many other plasma cutting related projects that this would be a good breather for a few weeks.

The problem is finding some projects that a beginner welder could relate to without going into the plasma cutting world.

If you guys or gals have any ideas to add to my list, that would be great!

It would be a general introduction into beginning welding using MIG and ARC.

Nothing complicated, just fun and I want them to take their projects home with them after they finish, something nice.

I thought about decorative bed head boards/foot boards, coffee tables, candle holders, grinder stands and stuff like that.

It sounds like a lot of you out there have done this before so I wanted to ask.

I figured if they built something nice, I could let them design something plasma cut to add to their project toward the end.

Any ideas would help.

Thanks. :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
jimmyrig
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: welding ideas?

Post by jimmyrig »

I would make a little bird house, cut all the parts ( leave un-cleaned) this way they also learn about metal prep. At the Fab school down here they have the students make trash cans.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

Shawn,
Something really easy and helpful would be manual welding cable/hose reels. These could be the simple no bearing just a lubricated sleeve style. They could probably make some money with it too!
Loyd
cable reels.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
erichsmith
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by erichsmith »

One of the first things I ever made in Welding class was a lidded box with hinges. I still use it to this day to store my TIG consumables in. It's not very big maybe 8 x 4 and 2 or 3 inches high. We had to make it hold water and the lid had to fit like it was manufactured. Pretty simple and useful as well. I am not at my shop right now so I don't have a picture to post.
Eric Smith
Hobart Champion
Miller ABP330
Miller 185, 212
Miller Spectrum 625
Miller Dialarc 250
Oxy/Fuel
MSC Mill
Atlas Lathe
Grizzly Mill/Lathe
Scars and 1 understanding wife, 1 uninterested 16yr old girl, 1 thinks daddys work is cool 3yr old son.
noplacetosail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by noplacetosail »

I would be happy to help. I have taught welding/metals for 20 years now. Shoot me an email at dmurrell@gckschools.com and I will send you lesson plans and resources.

themoreilearnthemoreirealizehowlittleiknow

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”