Hi all.. New to forum and plasma cutting

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
rickjamesbish
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hi all.. New to forum and plasma cutting

Post by rickjamesbish »

I have a plasma cam 4x4 arriving this week. Looking for some dxf files to get me started. Was wondering what experience users have had with any of the dxf files you get to choose when you become a contributing member. Will these work with plasma cam ?
rickjamesbish
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Hi all.. New to forum and plasma cutting

Post by rickjamesbish »

Ok.. either getting snubbed completely or nobody has tried the mentioned files with a plasma cam.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Many plasma cam users here. Lots of pcm only files on the site, as well as dxf and svg formats. The 3 file groups you choose from at sign up should all cut well.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

It is easy to import .dxf files into the Plasmacam software. .dxf is pretty much the usual input file software for most cnc plasma machines. Jim Colt
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Hey Rickjames, i've been running an older model plasmacam for 4 years now with tremendous success despite not having some of the modern advantages that you will have with your new table. My recommendation from having gone through the learning curve on my own is to start out with some very simple shapes, Lines, Circles, Rectangles until you are acheiving the cut quality you desire. Once you have your cut speeds, pierce height, cut height, pierce timing, etc. dialed in (should match closely with your plasmacutter manual) you'll be ready to cut out something more detailed like the free files you receive when joining this site. If the first thing you cut is one of these highly detailed files, you may risk ruining a portion of material slated for that cutout if you have bad cut quality right from the start. The plasmacam software lets you draw simple shapes fast, or if you know autocad then you can draw them there and import as a dxf file.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
rickjamesbish
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rickjamesbish »

yeomansjon wrote:Hey Rickjames, i've been running an older model plasmacam for 4 years now with tremendous success despite not having some of the modern advantages that you will have with your new table. My recommendation from having gone through the learning curve on my own is to start out with some very simple shapes, Lines, Circles, Rectangles until you are acheiving the cut quality you desire. Once you have your cut speeds, pierce height, cut height, pierce timing, etc. dialed in (should match closely with your plasmacutter manual) you'll be ready to cut out something more detailed like the free files you receive when joining this site. If the first thing you cut is one of these highly detailed files, you may risk ruining a portion of material slated for that cutout if you have bad cut quality right from the start. The plasmacam software lets you draw simple shapes fast, or if you know autocad then you can draw them there and import as a dxf file.
Thanks for the info. My machine is quite basic. I do not have any type of height control other than the base model where you manually set the height. I do have a question about piercing. Since I have no digital height control should I program the cut paths so all the pierce points are done from the correct height then lower to cut height and do the cuts ? Or during piercing on a machine with DHC does the piercing start at height X and then lower it down to cut height as it pierces ? Right now I just have piece points were the machine pierces then moves over into the cut path and begins cutting.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

When piercing the time for the pierce depends on the metal and thickness and this is a function of the G-code not the DTHC. The DTHC takes control after the torch starts cutting, the DTHC monitors the arc voltage and make correction as needed to maintain the correct cut height.
Since I have no digital height control should I program the cut paths so all the pierce points are done from the correct height then lower to cut height and do the cuts ? yes
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rickjamesbish
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rickjamesbish »

acourtjester wrote:When piercing the time for the pierce depends on the metal and thickness and this is a function of the G-code not the DTHC. The DTHC takes control after the torch starts cutting, the DTHC monitors the arc voltage and make correction as needed to maintain the correct cut height.
Since I have no digital height control should I program the cut paths so all the pierce points are done from the correct height then lower to cut height and do the cuts ? yes
So your saying since I have no DTHC I need to...

1. Set my height from material to the recommended pierce height.
2. Set the cut paths up so it cuts only the pierce points.
3. After all piercing is done, lower to recommended cut height.
4. Continue cutting the regular cut paths ( should I include the pierce points so it starts cutting basically from an edge)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

No the pierce is the start of the cutting operation, start pierce, pierce delay, torch moves to cut height and starts to moving to cut part. These are all part of the G-code and are run as a single cutting operation from start to finish. After the torch is finished cutting and has turned off the G-code moves to the next pierce start location and repeats this operation.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
rickjamesbish
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rickjamesbish »

acourtjester wrote:No the pierce is the start of the cutting operation, start pierce, pierce delay, torch moves to cut height and starts to moving to cut part. These are all part of the G-code and are run as a single cutting operation from start to finish. After the torch is finished cutting and has turned off the G-code moves to the next pierce start location and repeats this operation.
Pierce height and cut height are different correct ? I do not have height control so it's not going to adjust height for piercing and cutting, that's why I'm asking I need to take those steps.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You have not shown the software you are using, but if you are using SheetCam those are setup in the tool description and are automatically put into the G-code when you run the post processor for your table. And yes they are different in most cut routines but could be the same with thin metal.
pierece height.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

Thanks for the info. My machine is quite basic. I do not have any type of height control other than the base model where you manually set the height. I do have a question about piercing. Since I have no digital height control should I program the cut paths so all the pierce points are done from the correct height then lower to cut height and do the cuts ? Or during piercing on a machine with DHC does the piercing start at height X and then lower it down to cut height as it pierces ? Right now I just have piece points were the machine pierces then moves over into the cut path and begins cutting.[/quote]

I can tell from personal experience... go ahead and spend the money for height control - it will save you HOURS of frustration!!!
Carl
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”