CNC Table freezing when Pilot Arc initiates?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Ashley
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

CNC Table freezing when Pilot Arc initiates?

Post by Ashley »

Table: Bailegh 2x2 table
Plasma Cutter: Eastwood VersaCut 60amp w/ Pilot Arc

Symptom: CNC Controller crashes once the plasma arc initiates. Eventually blew my CNC controller power supply.

Got this table months ago, finally got around to setting it up, did dozens of dry runs to learn the general operation of the table as I have zero experience with anything CNC.

Once I became comfortable enough to turn on my plasma cutter and let it rip, It made one short 2" cut, and the CNC table controler froze.

Turned the system off, reset, tried again, this time, the CNC turned off rather than freeze, popped the breaker, and blew the fuse inside the CNC controllers 24v power supply. Replaced the fuse, and the transformer blew in the power supply once turned on.

Does the Pilot arc emit some kind of damaging high frequency?
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: CNC Table freezing when Pilot Arc initiates?

Post by msimpson99 »

If the machine uses a HF start, then the answer is yes. Your machine/computer/controller needs to be shielded and properly grounded. In addion you will need some farrite noise suppressors on your PC cables.

Blowback pilot arc are much easier to use. Good machine and PC grounding tends to work without shielding every thing.

I recently was playing with my HF start tig torch. Was alot of work shielding everything.

In this blog I have little information of shielding a small plasma CNC.
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/krmx02-plasma/
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC Table freezing when Pilot Arc initiates?

Post by tcaudle »

Takes a LOT of HF noise to fry the primary side power supply! Usually HF noise just causes the PC to go wookie or the control to do "random" motion .

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”