Opening a metal art store. Need some ideas!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Opening a metal art store. Need some ideas!

Post by michmetalman »

Hey guys! A while ago I posted on here we are gonna be opening a metal art store here in our town in Northern MI. This is just the beginning stages as the whole building and our spot are getting completey renovated, so we would be opening around March or April of next year.
Anyways, one of our biggest dilemmas is how will we hang stuff on our walls. Of course it will be all finished with drywall, and we would be putting a lot of holes in it. On our art we always have them stand away from the wall, so they all have legs with a hanger or 2 depending, and it would be almost impossible to get the legs in the exact same sopts to keep using the same holes.
Of course the best option would be some kind of wood wall, but just seems expensive. Our space will be around 800 sq. ft.
I'm looking for any ideas you guys might have!? Thanks!
Last edited by michmetalman on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Opening a metal art store. Need some ideas!

Post by acourtjester »

This may sound silly but there is a produce called "Road Mesh" it is a wire frame work used to re-enforce concrete. It is like 4" squares formed by 1/8" steel wire and comes in a roll about 4" wide from builder supply type places. You could attach 2" X 2" wood strips to the wall and the road mesh to the wood. this would give you a framework to hang things that is off the wall. You would need to paint it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nucoar-42-in ... /202090219
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

acourtjester wrote:This may sound silly but there is a produce called "Road Mesh" it is a wire frame work used to re-enforce concrete. It is like 4" squares formed by 1/8" steel wire and comes in a roll about 4" wide from builder supply type places. You could attach 2" X 2" wood strips to the wall and the road mesh to the wood. this would give you a framework to hang things that is off the wall. You would need to paint it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nucoar-42-in ... /202090219
That's an idea for sure, thanks!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I would use sheet metal over the drywall. Cover it with a patterned fabric with some thickness to it, such as vinyl table cloths or denim. Use FRP to attach the sheet metal to the drywall, and use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to bond the fabric to the metal wall.

Use rare earth magnets to hang your metal art wherever you want to on the wall.

The purpose for the fabric is to create a differential between magnetic forces. In other words, if a rare earth magnet is directly stuck to the back of metal art, but there is fabric between the magnet and the sheet metal wall, then the magnet will bond to the art piece STRONGER than the sheet metal, meaning when you remove the metal art, the magnets will come with it.

Depending on the size of the magnets, one magnet should hang most art pieces.

Pull the metal art away from the wall to remove, and make sure you collect all magnets before selling the item.

Of course, this will not work for aluminum or copper, etc., but you can make magnet hanger hooks with rare earth magnets that will support a lot of weight.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I know they make a grid like acourtjester talks about already painted. It's made for what you want to do.
An online search for wall grid will turn up lots of sites for it. Here's link to one to see what I'm talking about.

https://www.uline.com/Grp_372/Gridwall? ... lsrc=aw.ds
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Plastic lattice on a wooden frame works well for hanging art

Joe

OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

I wonder if you can buy rare earth magnets with hooks on them. I know you can buy other round magnets with hooks. There is also a product called slotwall at lumber places. It is nicely finished and there are hooks available for it.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

OTHill wrote:I wonder if you can buy rare earth magnets with hooks on them. I know you can buy other round magnets with hooks. There is also a product called slotwall at lumber places. It is nicely finished and there are hooks available for it.

Are you guys talking magnetized walls?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

michmetalman wrote:
OTHill wrote:I wonder if you can buy rare earth magnets with hooks on them. I know you can buy other round magnets with hooks. There is also a product called slotwall at lumber places. It is nicely finished and there are hooks available for it.

Are you guys talking magnetized walls?
No. Framed walls with drywall or plywood over the studs. Then sheet metal over that surface, with adhesive to keep it flat against the wood or drywall. Cover the sheet metal with any material that has some thickness to it. The purpose is so the rare earth magnets will grab the wall, but they will not grab it 100% due to being held back away from the sheet metal by the material. The magnets WILL attach to the metal art work 100%, so the art will hang by the magnets, and when you pull them from the wall, the magnets will come with them. You must remove the magnets before you sell or ship the art piece.

Joe
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

This is what I use and it works great. Can be attached to the wall or can be used free standing. Hope this helps.
https://www.storesupply.com/c-700-wire- ... anels.aspx

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

Thanks for all the ideas guys!!
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Use Furring Strips and then you can use 1/8" pegboard with decent results.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Oh, man! Things are happening. I am not officially "in business" yet, but I am selling art to people who are interested in it. I am preparing to open a retail store on the town square. 2,500 sq. ft., which will be partially for me, and also a host to about 40 vendors who will rent booth spaces to display and sell their own items. Not really a 'consignment mall' but along those lines.

Things are definitely looking up!

Joe
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

GREAT! Wishing you the best. Let us know how things progress.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I have seen something called a Bull Panel at farm stores. It is like heavy welded wire mesh the openings have different configurations. Some of it is really heavy duty and they can be bought already galvanized, most are fourty inches by eight feet. Hung on a wall like wainscot might work, held proud by a half inch would allow your standoffs to hook behind. The detraction would be the visual break up of the back ground.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Well now things have morphed a bit. Instead of a small gallery, I am opening a 2,500 sq.ft. consignment mall on the square in town. I will display my own metal art and other items there, but we will also have 30 vendors who will display and sell their own crafts and items.

Joe
taberahkj
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by taberahkj »

I used a system similar to this when I had a gallery. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011AO1968?psc=1 . Pretty inexpensive and you can easily change out the look and spacing of the pieces on your wall. For pieces without hangars on them you would need to use magnets with the hooks but it could be done. It's a very clean and modern look. Image
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

It has now grown to an 8,000 sq. ft. consignment mall. I seldom do anything "small."

Joe
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

Go big or go home!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

taberahkj wrote:I used a system similar to this when I had a gallery. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011AO1968?psc=1 . Pretty inexpensive and you can easily change out the look and spacing of the pieces on your wall. For pieces without hangars on them you would need to use magnets with the hooks but it could be done. It's a very clean and modern look. Image
This is interesting!

Those metal clips ... do they just pinch onto the suspended cable at any poiny, or do you thread the cable through them from the bottom and then slide them up and down?

I like the idea of an array of vertical cables permanently mounted to display boards and clipping these on wherever they are needed at the time. These displays are not permanent in a retail store. They will be set up and taken down repeatedly as we travel to car shows and flea markets, etc.
taberahkj
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by taberahkj »

There are a variety of styles of clips and you can put multiple clips on a single wire. Very flexible system. I liked how easy it was to take down a sold piece and put up a new one. You can quickly and easily change the look of your display each day of a show to keep things fresh or to highlight what's selling at the moment.
mrbuildit
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mrbuildit »

for my shop space and storage space I've been considering a simple slat wall and peg hook system.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”