How do I unload my table

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
quick cut
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

How do I unload my table

Post by quick cut »

I have a water plasma table which is 10' x 25' and cut materials from 0.25" -2.0". These parts vary in size from 2"x2" to 4'-5' square. We typically run the table in three zones and are loading a zone and unloading a zone while the machine is cutting the third zone. The table typically runs 50-60 hrs per week and cuts 3000-5000 pieces during this period.
We currently have load/unload operators who are on the table pulling parts from the most recently cut sheet while walking on the table. I was recently informed that for the "slat surface" to be considered a walking surface the slats must have a gap of no greater than 1". I will have more slats than not.....
It has been suggested that we use a "fishing pole" type device, which we have but many of the parts are to large for this type operation and I am concerned about back injuries and reduced productivity.
How do others unload their table?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How do I unload my table

Post by jimcolt »

I have never seen slats that close together.....they will affect cut quality and will make it more difficult to clean the table. Where did you hear that rule from?

Normally parts are picked up with magnetic lifts from overhead cranes.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

I think to avoid looking like you have been run through a french fry cutter I would go with the crane and magnet idea.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
quick cut
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by quick cut »

Thanks for the input.
The ruling is OSHA 1910.23(a)(9)