Bonding two painted plates together, tips?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Bonding two painted plates together, tips?

Post by i_r_machinist »

I have some signs to make that will be painted and placed together to create contrast. These are 16 gage plates. For alignment I tought of pierceing each plate and welding a threaded stud on the front plate for alignment with the back plate. I'm not sure how well an adhesive would bond to a painted surface, and spot welding is out. Anyone have some tricks or tips on doing this?
Thanks
i_r_
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bonding two painted plates together, tips?

Post by Scratch »

Ive used double sided tape with great luck. I use the Duck brand tape. It comes in like 3/4" and 1" thick rolls I think. I also use it to stick signs to walls and when I have had to remove it, some of the Sheetrock comes off with the tape!
It's super cheap to try out at like under 2.00 a roll at Menards, Lowes, or Home Deopt so it sold be easy enough to do a test on.

It's not good for out in the weather, but LOCTITE has some red double sided tape that is supposed to be good in cold and wet environments. I haven't tried it yet, but it does also have a higher strength rating than the Duck brand tape does. I think it's like 7.00 a roll-ish....

I have also done the "welding a bolt onto the back side of the front plate" thing, but then you get a gap there (which is sometimes nice) and you can also see the weld from the front sometimes.

I'd be interested in hearing other ideas as well.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have used a few different things for attaching layered objects. I have machined 1/4" bolt heads to leave a center dot that I plug weld to the front piece. I did a 3 cross hanging for a church here that had LED lighting between the 2 layers, used nets for spacing. I have used a 3M double sticky tape from eBay that is very thin, there is a 3M double sticky rubbery tape from Home Depot (paint department). And a rubbery glue type from a tube called Goop (again Home Depot paint department). I just apply small dots on the back of parts and push them to the back parts. Very strong attachment it is similar to the old RTV adhesive but no smell. :)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amazing-Goop ... /202533796
They have many different grades.
DSCN2108.JPG
church lighted crosses.JPG
DSCN2145.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Use 3M VHB tape. It is the same thing that is used to hold auto accessories on vehicles. It can handle the elements no problem I have used it for years. When welding or studs are not an option it is a good solution. It's a little pricey but it works just have to factor it into the cost for the customer.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

Follow our CNC Plasma Build:
www.cncplasminfo.com
Follow our CNC Router Build:
www.cncrouterbuild.com
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by i_r_machinist »

Thanks for the tips. I'll stop by and get some "goop" on the way home. I have some two sided tape but figured the adhesive would turn loose sooner or later, and the odds of me placing the two together perfectly the first time are slim to none. That tape has no forgiveness in it. I'll get some of the 3m vhb tape. Turning down the bolt head looks like a good option.
Thanks again
i_r_

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”