good place to find metal Kyle TX?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
thomsen
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

good place to find metal Kyle TX?

Post by thomsen »

Does anyone know of a good place to get metal for cutting close to Kyle TX. ?
KenTexFabrications
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: good place to find metal Kyle TX?

Post by KenTexFabrications »

The closest one that I know of to your location would be Alamo Iron Works in San Antonio.
http://www.aiw.net Hope this helps. Ken
cola78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cola78 »

There is a place close to Buda. I will get back to you with the info.
RC
cola78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cola78 »

It is south austin metals. I thought it was in Buda. Hope this helps.
www.southaustinmetals.com/
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by elkriverfab »

I would go north of your location, I buy in the San Antonio area and they are shady.

High prices, poor customer service.

I have found one place called westbrook metals, they have great customer service but higher than the others.
But they are happy to see your business and are nice to you when they take your money. *They are helpful*

Ashley's in San Antonio is also a choice but again, bad service.

Ashley's in Devine lets all the metal lay outside in piles to rust, they will charge you full price for very rusty metal.
I am not talking a little rust, I mean RUSTY.

I have thought about going up your way for metal.

Just make sure you sheets or plate is clean and flat.

A lot of times I go to their stacks and it is either rusted to the point of having a pitted finish or bent/bowed to the point your machine will be hanging up on the roller coaster waves.

Alamo is another choice, have not used them enough to give you any info.

Just shop around and find one you like and develop a good relation with them.

I wish I could give you a great place with good prices but it's hit or miss here.

I used to live in AZ for a while and it was much higher in cost there but the quality was so much better.

It is humid here though and I can see why it is so rusty but it doesn't help when you are try to create a nice clean piece.

I did find welders supply off of 410 and Jackwood to have a great selection of consumables.

If you ever have any questions about the area, just ask.

I would be happy to help.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
baker
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by baker »

Thomsen, are you at the shop full time where you can get deliveries, or will you have to pickup locally?

I am in Temple so not as far south as you, so I don't know anyone locally there. If you can take big truck deliveries, Alamo Iron Works (as others have mentioned) and Triple-S Steel both out of San Antonio are two to check. I know they both deliver to you area. We use AIW a good bit, and rusty material has never been a problem. Triple-S doesn't deliver as far north as I am, so I can't speak for their plate/sheet products, but we have used them some in the past on other things (I do know everything is stored indoors so I wouldn't think you'd see alot of rusty stuff). Although we have been in the metalworking business a few years we have only had the CNC plasma capabilities a few months. So I am fairly new at buying sheet/plate myself, other than small things here and there previously. Another one to check out is Namasco, although I don't know what their purchase terms are.

elkriverfab, are you in the San Antonio area?

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”