Steel on stainless

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Steel on stainless

Post by msc »

I am fairly sure I have a job similar to the project below. It will be 4x4 with painted 14 gauge steel over 14 gauge stainless steel. I have a few questions I need help with please.

If I prime, paint and clear coat the back as well as the front, will there be any problems with corrosion from the dissimilar metals or will all the paint work as a good enough insulator? This is an inside piece.

What do you think will be the best way to attach the two pieces? I was thinking of glue/epoxy and/or weld a small channel onto the top and bottom of the outer piece to help support the stainless.

Finally, what do you think is a fair price for a project like this? I will have material prices on Tuesday, but I am not sure what to charge for my labor. The biggest piece I have done has been 24 X 24. This is twice as big.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Mark

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Delusional Designs 4x4 CNC
Millermatic 211 welder
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Steel on stainless

Post by Gustav129 »

What does the back have to look like?

To weld the two, you have to use Stainless filler metal, or it will be very weak.

For me personally, I'd weld a few studs to the back of the MS, make holes in SS corresponding to those studs, and use nuts to fasten. if a little 3D is wanted, even a washer or two could give some depth to the pieces.

Otherwise, it would be a few plug welds, and a lot of taping to paint afterwards...
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Search "3M Tape" in these forums. It is used to successfully to attach multiple layers.
With the top piece painted I don't think you will have an issue with reactivity between the metals.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

The 3m UHB tape will work, but it would look nicer if you used stainless button head allens, and just made a matching set of holes in the backer and the front piece. You could go all the way around the outside, say 1/2" in from the edge, maybe 4 fasteners across each face, would look sharp I think. As stated above, you could use a nut in between layers, or washers and a nut etc to stand the back off if needed. This way, you could also cut some keyhole slots for hanging it in the backer, stand it off 1 /4", and it's all good.

Shane
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Thanks. I usually use a nut between layers but customer does not want the space between layers. I think I will put SS mounting bolts through both layers as suggested.

Do you think I will have any issues with the steel and stainless separated only by layers of paint?

Mark
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Delusional Designs 4x4 CNC
Millermatic 211 welder
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

No, there shouldn't be a problem. Even 3M tape will leave a gap.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”