Z axis lifter recommendation?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Z axis lifter recommendation?

Post by gamble »

Well all has been good for a few weeks with the flashcut controls and I got a z lifter off ebay for $140 to save money and today it literally shit the bed.
What are my options? Really trying NOT to spend $1000 on the one from flashcut
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Z axis lifter recommendation?

Post by Capstone »

I cannot recommend the Velox CNC "Z" setup, but that's what I have. Mine is leaving sawtooth cuts in pretty much 40% of all my cuts. SeanP has documented various hacks he's had to make, some of which I have done as well, but I'm this close to just buying a whole new system, so I'm gonna follow along if you don't mind. :)
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

I also have a Velox CNC "Z" setup and have been chasing the same thing on my plasma table also. I know this doesn't help you, but just thought I'd chime in with another user not impressed. I just about gave up, I need to do some research on SeanP changes he made to see if it helps.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

The main issue and what we found with is the round bearing will not preload enough to allow near zero wiggle at the torch tip. If you use a single round bearing (pair, one on either side) you will not get it tight enough to control wiggle in the torch. You can use a single long bearing or two bearings but you will still have a slight wiggle. The velox uses a single bearing (pair) for the float slide and another single (pair) for the drive portion. .002" play in the bearing equals a lot of play at the end of the torch. The profile linear bearing was our solution to the problem. We use twin 25MM 4 row linear ways. That eliminates any play in the Z axis. The Velox may be a decent Z axis for machine with less than 20ips^2 acceleration ratios.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

BTA Plasma wrote:The main issue and what we found with is the round bearing will not preload enough to allow near zero wiggle at the torch tip. If you use a single round bearing (pair, one on either side) you will not get it tight enough to control wiggle in the torch. You can use a single long bearing or two bearings but you will still have a slight wiggle. The velox uses a single bearing (pair) for the float slide and another single (pair) for the drive portion. .002" play in the bearing equals a lot of play at the end of the torch. The profile linear bearing was our solution to the problem. We use twin 25MM 4 row linear ways. That eliminates any play in the Z axis. The Velox may be a decent Z axis for machine with less than 20ips^2 acceleration ratios.
Are you referring to the Proton-Z setup as what you use? That only appears to be available as an upgrade to your tables. I'm looking for a reasonably price option to the Velox for use with my DIY table. Thanks for the info.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

What would you guys pay for a quality one? I am waiting on a call back from flashcut and if all is well I will go there and pick one up today
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

You may be able to use the Velox and install another bearing like Sean did. That would help out quite a bit. May not be perfect but would help. I will ask the guys here if they want to offer the Z axis as a retrofit option. It is compact and powerful but has some multiaxis machined parts inside that take some time for us to make. I think there may be enough in inventory to make such an offering. But at $700 and change would you be willing to go that route?
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Does it have a magnetic breakaway ?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Yes, tool pockets and a limit on the top and bottom of the travel. Accepts Nema 23 motors. The linear rails are hand indicated to each other and to the ballscrew. BUT in its current configuration it only accepts Ohmic sensing. We have a floating switch style we use for high frequency applications but those pieces are not inventoried at any market offering amount.
Last edited by BTA Plasma on Fri May 27, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

But it's still a velox, correct?
And how long would they take to get ?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Please read above I added an edit for Ohmic. 3-4 days before it would ship. You may have to make an adaptor for the bolt pattern on the back of the unit.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

And no it is not a velox it is our own design we make in house
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

This is what I used on two small tables that I built last year. It is from Precision Plasma, I think it is a Velox. Precision plasma adds a mag breakaway (not shown in this pic). I had no issues with these....they were very accurate and tight. The motors are Kollmorgen 600 watt servos that I used. The second pic shows the torch mount and magnetic breakaway.

Jim Colt
IMG_4759.jpg
IMG_3482.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Capstone wrote: Mine is leaving sawtooth cuts in pretty much 40% of all my cuts.
I doubt it's the z axis causing that Phil they are not that flimsy :)
I was seeing a bit of that other week, did some tweeking with the motor tuning and its good again on mine.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

SeanP wrote:
Capstone wrote: Mine is leaving sawtooth cuts in pretty much 40% of all my cuts.
I was seeing a bit of that other week, did some tweeking with the motor tuning and its good again on mine.
By motor tuning, do you mean in the MACH3 software or physically?

Just this morning, I've had motor faults stop me 3 times in the span of an hour on my Dragoncut AIO so I have this sick feeling that something more serious is about to go horribly wrong.

Jim, I think Sean is probably right; it's something else sloppy in my gantry and with the motor faults I just mentioned, I'm even more worried that I am pretty much forced to rebuild my gantry with the 3:1 gear reduction setup I have on a self from PPL (like what you have Jim) and then pretty much redo my table from the slats down.. OR.... strongly consider just buying a ready-to-go 4x4 minus the torch and electronics. double Argh :evil:
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Ha mine is doing sawtooth cuts as well when upgraded to height control with a lifter!
I just got the flashcut lifter. Expensive but WOW is it nice. Insanely nice! Pics to follow
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Capstone wrote:
SeanP wrote:
By motor tuning, do you mean in the MACH3 software or physically?

Just this morning, I've had motor faults stop me 3 times in the span of an hour on my Dragoncut AIO so I have this sick feeling that something more serious is about to go horribly wrong.

Jim, I think Sean is probably right; it's something else sloppy in my gantry and with the motor faults I just mentioned, I'm even more worried that I am pretty much forced to rebuild my gantry with the 3:1 gear reduction setup I have on a self from PPL (like what you have Jim) and then pretty much redo my table from the slats down.. OR.... strongly consider just buying a ready-to-go 4x4 minus the torch and electronics. double Argh :evil:
Yes I switched the table PC's a while back now to a Dell 745, and somehow the motors never sounded as smooth as with the old PC, still not sure they do really but that's another story, I hand't quite got the numbers right in the acceleration for motor tuning in Mach3, it's cutting fine now though.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I too run a velox on one of my tables which I fitted when the PPC one basically wore out about 10 months ago.

I don't have the problems you mention, in fact as long as it's regularly cleaned (we use carby clean and then graphite spray) it runs nice and smooth but the problem I have is the three screws that hold the nut which runs on the leadscrew constantly need adjusting. The first time it happened I thought they had just come loose so I tightened them but then it just locked and wouldn't turn at all. We backed the screws off to allow some freeplay in the nut and it ran fine until it started jamming again. It has since got shorter in time between needing attention to the point where it needs adjusting at least daily.

I have tried ringing Velox and left messages on their voicemail but no replies so was hoping maybe someone here had some clues if they had similar problems. I first tried calling Velox when it first happened just to ask how tight these screws were meant to be to which I'm still guessing.
Thanks
Murray
mechanicalmongoose20
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mechanicalmongoose20 »

I run a Velox. Been going about 20hrs a week for a year and its still as tight as day 1.
5x10 PPLLC GANTRY
PMX45
CANDCNC 620-4 OHMIC FEATHER TOUCH
VELOX Z AXIS WITH CUSTOM MOUNTS
SWAG FINGER BRAKE
ALPHATIG 200X
HOBART 210MVP
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Here is the flashcut one. It's a beast! Also not sure what the feature it called exactly but if the ohmic sensor doesn't pick up the front plate slides independently from the rest and will hit the switch. I'm also told that it will bolt directly to the torchmate
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

Looks 100% like a black Velox to me.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

sphurley wrote:Looks 100% like a black Velox to me.
Was just going to post the same comment.
Murray
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

You guys have pics or a link to this one with the same options? Curious of a price difference
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”