Stair DWGS

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Stair DWGS

Post by icmplasma85 »

Are any stair fabricators members here?

I am a stair/rail/misc detailer as my day job, never thought to ask on here before...but if there is any interest or need in good misc dwgs I'd be glad to show some of the work I've done.

This site is mostly plasma cutting-related, but I think most of us are/were fabricators by trade long before some of us picked up our hobby tables. I started out building stairs and rails in a small shop with just a few guys, and I took a quick interest in it because it isn't just putting a flag plate or angle clip on a beam.

I think I could lay out a stringer or rail now in my sleep, and with the knowledge I learned in the shop coupled with teaching myself CAD when buying my plasmacam, I basically created a position for myself that I never thought I'd do or be qualified to do. Crazy how things work out sometimes. I work from home now and love every minute of it.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Stair DWGS

Post by tnbndr »

Always interested in seeing others completed work. Post pics it certainly cannot hurt.
I was asked once to bid/build a set of outside stairs for a deck out of metal and I turned it down. Never done one and did not want any liability.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I'd be interested in seeing what you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

I've got a 4' drop out the back door of my shop. Would love to build some stairs there where I could walk down instead of walking around the building. I've recently come to the conclusion I'm too old to jump/climb up that drop. If you have any insight, examples, etc.. I'd love to see it. I'd prefer industrial stairs if you have anything in that style.
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

Here are a few pages. First couple are the floor plans and section cuts more for the erector, followed by the fab dwgs for the shop. These are just a few sheets of a bigger job.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Do you have photos of the completed jobs?
If not you should start keeping photo records with the plans. I wish I had done that for all the jobs I did while working in commercial construction.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for posting and taking the time working up the drawings. :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

What are good materials for the stringers?
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

whiskeymike wrote:What are good materials for the stringers?
Typical stringers we build are MC12x10.6. This is a 12" misc steel channel, weighs 10.6 lbs per foot. It has an 1 1/2" flange, making it a good fit for most handrail pipe.

If you are dealing with a large span you probably want to get an engineer involved but you have other options like a C12x20.7 or HSS12x2x1/4". Stringers can be made from plate as well, typically 3/8" or 1/2".
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
mckee ironworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mckee ironworks »

Hi my email is brian@mckeeirinworks.com i had the post for cad help handrail bracket.
langdoniron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by langdoniron »

First reply here.... I do mostly architectural iron and have built a few stairs over the years and always struggle and second guess myself usually building full scale mock ups before making anything "real" I would love to have some input from someone who knows what they are doing.

I actually have a couple of stairs to do in the near future but they are pretty simple, Its the single stringer winders that kill me.

I also have a customer at the moment who wants me to bid replacing 200 concrete steps with metal, an apartment complex and the concrete is falling apart.... Not even sure how to bid that job.

There have been times in the past where I paid guys to do shop drawings of stairs just to make my life easier. Is that something you would be interested in?
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

langdoniron wrote:First reply here.... I do mostly architectural iron and have built a few stairs over the years and always struggle and second guess myself usually building full scale mock ups before making anything "real" I would love to have some input from someone who knows what they are doing.

I actually have a couple of stairs to do in the near future but they are pretty simple, Its the single stringer winders that kill me.

I also have a customer at the moment who wants me to bid replacing 200 concrete steps with metal, an apartment complex and the concrete is falling apart.... Not even sure how to bid that job.

There have been times in the past where I paid guys to do shop drawings of stairs just to make my life easier. Is that something you would be interested in?
PM sent.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”