Calibration??

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
r72cnvt
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Calibration??

Post by r72cnvt »

I'm having troubles with parts coming out undersize on simple parts like circles and gussets. Today, on 3/16" 304, I had to add a full 1/8" to get a simple gusset to cut on size.

System details:
AKS 8' x 20' table with a Hypertherm 260 machine. About 10 years old. Using Pronest 2010 to produce code.

I've been toying with Sigmanest because I use that to program my waterjets and laser.

Any input would be appreciated.
George Litton
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Calibration??

Post by tnbndr »

Somewhere in that program your Kerf settings are probably off or non existant. You need to set your kerf and then tell the program to cut outside contours offset outside the drawings line. It should offset half the distant of the kerf. At least it works this way in Sheetcam.
I would assume most programs do the same but maybe in a different way. You will need to investigate how your programs is allowing for the kerf width and adjust accordingly.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I would suggest looking at Pronest2015....upgrading from your older version. Pronest can handle your lasers and waterjets as well....after all ProNest is a Hypertherm product....and Hypertherm manufactures Plasma, laser and waterjets. 50 years of cutting expertise is in the ProNest, the other guys are software companies!

Jim Colt
r72cnvt

Post by r72cnvt »

Jim,
I was hoping you would chime in here. But with some silver bullet to solve my problems. lol
I would need 4 seats of that, and that is just not in the cards right now. The two waterjets, a laser, and a new warehouse have the budget stretched to the limits.
George Litton
timberfab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by timberfab »

Not familiar with your machine but you can run run your table out to 6 inches and measure how far the table really traveled. then out to say 48 inches then about an inch less than the over all travel of your table.

I do that about once a month to check for accuracy and change settings accordingly
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

There is a silver bullet. You simply need to enter the correct cut kerf compensation into your ProNest software. That is what controls the correct dimensions of your finished part. If you are running the Hypertherm HPR260 at book specs (which you should be) then you simply look up the estimated kerf width in the operators manual that corresponds to the material, thickness and consumables power level you are cutting at...enter that number in the ProNest kerf setting....and your part will come out very close. After cutting the first part...measure it and make slight kerf adjustments to get holes, outside contours, etc to the correct dimension. The kerf compensation is different for every thickness and every power level. If for some reason you are cutting at a slower than book speed.....or a different cut height...then the kerf width will change and you need to adjust it so the parts come out correct.

Kerf compensation in the ProNest (when set) will automatically shift the cut the correct distance to the left of the cut on inside cut outs and to the right of the cut on exterior cuts. In the newer ProNest software (2015) the kerf can be fully automated. choose your material and power level, kerf is auto-set.

If for some reason the kerf function is not working....there is likely a setting in either your ProNest settings that has the function disabled....or there is a setting in your cnc control that is disabled. Contact Hypertherm tech service and they can walk you through checking these settings.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
r72cnvt wrote:Jim,
I was hoping you would chime in here. But with some silver bullet to solve my problems. lol
I would need 4 seats of that, and that is just not in the cards right now. The two waterjets, a laser, and a new warehouse have the budget stretched to the limits.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”