New member, sweet find at the auction, and a massive gantry

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: New member, sweet find at the auction, and a massive gantry

Post by Simko »

First motion!

I jogged the table and moved it in auto yesterday! I made a crappy sharpie marker holder out of a PVC drain connector, a short section of 3/4" PVC, a spring, and some fittings. It worked good enough for testing, but it has too much flex in the assembly to be worth keeping. The band-clamp was put on to take the play out of the slip joint, but still allow it to move up and down. Even with that in place. the whole assembly still flexed and didn't translate fine details well to the paper.

It took a little bit of digging around to find where things were like switch offset, and where to change the torch cutting height, but I feel like I have a better basic understanding of where everything is.
image.jpeg
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Awesome Steve. Glad to see you've stuck with this!! Now the actual work/fun parts come. Making all of that cut something with a plasma torch. ;) We're all still here.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Steve

hopefully the problem you have encountered with your pen marker shows vaguely what might happen to a torch that's sticking out to far :(
especially when you start moving things around a lot faster
It will only take a very small amount of play at the fixed point to magnify into bigger amount at the business end :(
Then going back the other way it will only take a reasonable knock (collision) at the business end to magnify into a lot bigger force at the fixed point :(
comes back to your other question regarding the water tray and gap between the slats and the gantry.

Your doing a cracking job so I am sure you will continue and finish of with a brilliant bit of kit to be proud of :D

so much to think about with out trying to second guess everything as well :lol:
Knowing what I know now the table build was the easy bit :shock:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

One thing you may try is put blocks on the table and then your writing surface to bring the tip into the height it will be used to cut. I also use a ball point pen as a marker you get much better detail to check the movements of the tip. That way you can see how well the start and finish connect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tet2rRsqBts
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

5' X 10' :shock:

It looks a lot bigger in person than when you are drawing it up in AutoCAD. LOL

It took five sheets of 12ga to make the pan (all tigged), the slat holders and (53) 3" slats. Nothing nested well because of the size of the pieces, so I have a bunch of big drops for practicing. ;)
image.jpeg
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You be in the final stretch maybe burning metal over the week end??? 8-) :)
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

I was doing a test fit on the slats and each half of the tray has a slight maybe 1/8" bow in the middle which causes the slats to rock left to right. The bow is easily pushed flat, but I will have to figure something out. Anyone got any ideas?

1) Drill holes in the pan and plug weld down to the table
2) Use some of that fancy 3M VHB tape to hold the bowed part of the tray down
3) Shim the side slat holders to the right height (probably not a good idea if the water pushes the middle down. LOL
3) Hope that the weight of the slats and the water pushes the tray flat (seems like it might based on how easy the bow pushes flat)

I wish I was cutting some metal this weekend. Still have to paint, build some sort of torch mount, and buy a plasma cutter. 8-)
Steve

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The last water table ( for a 4X8) I welded up had some warps in it but I had a separate slat grate. That with the water weight held it flat when filled. It was 18 Ga metal. Try a test fill and see what happens.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

acourtjester wrote:The last water table ( for a 4X8) I welded up had some warps in it but I had a separate slat grate. That with the water weight held it flat when filled. It was 18 Ga metal. Try a test fill and see what happens.
That could be a good idea. I made slat holders like Bulltear and I was going to tack them to the bottom of the pan. Maybe I should build a frame that holds the slat holders so I can remove them from the pan if needed.
Steve

tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Make sure to stagger the middle holder so the slats have a bow in them to stiffen them up and keep them from rocking or moving.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Looking good Steve. I would most definitely consider making a slat holder that allows removal of them easier than having them tacked in place. Slats are a "Consumable" and I constantly find myself moving them around as they get used up. I cut 80% of my cutting on the front 4' of my 4x8 table, so sometimes I move slats from the "back half", simply because it is easy to move them around as needed to keep the wear in check. I also am an advocate of having symmetrical slats - meaning, none of them cut specifically to fit the table. Mine are sheared 2" tall slats and I can burn on the top side for a while, then when they start showing wear, i flip them upside down and have a brand new surface to cut on. Also one of the single most amazingly simple tricks I learned here on PS is I installed a $30 sheet of flat expanded metal on top my slats, saving from tip-ups and the nagging pain of babysitting my machine while it cuts. I am still on my original piece of expanded metal after cutting 12 sheets fo 14 gauge with a ton of detail. Best investment to date!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Simko wrote:
acourtjester wrote:The last water table ( for a 4X8) I welded up had some warps in it but I had a separate slat grate. That with the water weight held it flat when filled. It was 18 Ga metal. Try a test fill and see what happens.
That could be a good idea. I made slat holders like Bulltear and I was going to tack them to the bottom of the pan. Maybe I should build a frame that holds the slat holders so I can remove them from the pan if needed.
8-) Good idea! We weld them in every 22 inches with a 2" bead. Slat holders should be low enough not to be consumed by the plasma beam.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

My tray was only 2mm with 2 joining welds, tried to keep it flat, but failed, so ended up just bolting it down to the frame with stainless pan head bolts and a coating of stixall, it's been fine and would do again no bother, I was trying to take out the bows to get all the water to drain out to the centre section, I'm still not sure what's the best route to take, I'm sure just a flat tray like you have will drain just as well.
The centre angle in mine just sits on the tray, but I do have a frame below as well, it's useful when cleaning out.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I too have separate slat holders on my tables to make it quick and easy to change slats. The main table I turn the slats over or change them out about every 8 to 10 weeks but we generally cut about 80 sheets per month or more.
Murray
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Hello everyone! I'm glad to be back. I had to take a 'short' hiatus because of the new baby and a new job, but now that I got my feet back under me, I am ready to get back into this project.

The last time that I was here, the 'Fire Pit' thread was in full drama swing. I'll have to do some searching to see how that ended (or maybe I should just leave it alone, LOL)

I still have to weld in the slat holders, do some painting, and order the plasma cutter. I am going to have to do some searching to refresh myself on what options I need to buy with the PM85 and where to get the best price on it.

Looks like my membership expired... I'm going to have to get that renewed also.

Anyways, I look forward to getting this table finally making some sparks!
IMG_2808.JPG
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome back I bought 2 pm 65s from Welders Source happy with the price and shipping service.
They come with a small set of consumables, but None of the lower amp nozzles so add some Fine cut and 45 amp 65 amp, "O" rings and Silicone.
Nozzles come in 5 packs.

have fun
tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Steve

Welcome Back

Good to know all is getting under control it must be worse than juggling trying to keep everyone happy ;)

looking forward to some interesting posts like you say things have moved on since you were last here :shock:
Take time to catch up and I am sure we will all help when you need it :D
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Hypertherm PM85 should be delivered to the local weld shop on Thursday for pickup with hand and machine torches 8-)

I still have a lot of work that needs done to be ready to cut anytime soon....

The 100A feed is run to the plasma / weld area. One disconnect will be fused for the table and the other one will be fused lower for the welders. Not to be used at the same time :lol: still need to install weld outlets.
IMG_3007.JPG
I primed the table, but still have to get a final coat of color on it. Then I have to put the gantry back on, slide the water tray on, paint inside the tray, and install the slats.
IMG_3008.JPG
The last step will be to put some sort of drain and barrel system together to keep the water under the table when not in use. I am not sure how well the flat pan is going to work for this, I'll put a slight slope to the table to try to get it to drain out. I guess we'll see how good/bad it does. I have a feeling that I will be cutting the bottom of the tray out at some point and making a downdraft system for it.

Thanks everyone for all of the help over the last year. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you!
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Keeps getting nicer looking. :geek:
racerx1194
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by racerx1194 »

nice looking machine right there
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

congrats on a new baby!

is there any way to drain your water tray? it's sort of important to be able to drain
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Thanks!

Here is what it looks like now. 8-)
IMG_4239.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG
Steve

Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

:ugeek:
_Ogre wrote:congrats on a new baby!

is there any way to drain your water tray? it's sort of important to be able to drain
I put a drain on the side of the pan for now. It is not ideal, but by setting the table slightly off of level, it drains nearly all the liquid except for maybe a gallon or so into a drum setup (Thanks go out to whoever it was that I got the idea from for the drums on this site)

I am using GreenCut plasma cutting fluid right now and so far I really like it.
IMG_4263.JPG
Steve

Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

I made up a goofy regulator contraption to allow me to fill the table in a controlled manner. Setting the air to around 6 psi pushes the fluid from the drums and fills the table in about 3 mins.

I'll get a picture of the setup if anyone is interested.
Steve

_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

Simko wrote: (Thanks go out to whoever it was that I got the idea from for the drums on this site)
your welcome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i have a 3 way valve with a low pressure regulator set at 6psi also
with the 3 way valve up is fill, down vents the air from the barrels

other than plain water we add washing powder to the water to keep rust at bay
worked well for 5 years and costs us $5 every time we clean out the table

even with a bottom drain we still have a gallon of water in the tray
sounds like you're good :D
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”