Drawing parts

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Lee H
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Drawing parts

Post by Lee H »

I bought a 4 x 8 True Cut the table works great no complaints at all. The problem I'm having is trying to find a program that doesn't take a one year collage degree to draw up simple parts. I have learned how to do all the art and sign stuff that all you guys have drawn up. I did not buy the table for that purpose I've been just giving or donating the piece I have done so far. That is getting expensive. The table came with BobCad V25 I do have a local guy that is willing to teach us for $30.00 a hour.
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Drawing parts

Post by Corfabrication »

for drawing "cad" style parts I use bendtech. they have a Sheet metal module that is fairly intuitive to use. It is also inexpensive for the power it has.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

I draw everything in CorelDraw and export as .dxf. Import into my CAM program and go. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to do whatever you want. But it is pretty intuitive.

I have AutoCAD but have never used it. My CAM program has a CAD feature, never used it either. Much too complex to get the simplest things done.

If I did it all over again, I'd purchase Adobe Illustrator instead. It seems to be much more common in the graphics arts area but is essentially the same as CorelDraw.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Lee,
when I first started out with CNC (router), I used a program called CamBam. It's a Cad/Cam program and is pretty easy to use. If you just want to make brackets, squares, circles and combinations there of, then it's worth taking a look at. I still use it for the simpler stuff I do. They have a free download you can try out, and the supports pretty good also.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
99guy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 99guy »

Edit: after revisiting this post I realize I was thinking about Rhino3D. That's the one I just didn't get along with. Maybe I didn't mess with it long enough ..... I came from doing some graphics and web site work with Fireworks and perhaps that's why I liked Corel better, more like what I was working with before. To set the record straight I guess I'm not familiar with BoBCad ........ sorry for the confusion ........... I use SheetCam ............still like Corel to draw ..............

Greetings fellow TruCut owner! 8-)

I've got BobCAd too, messed with it about a week, wish I could sell it to somebody. Saw that the bulk of users were into Corel so I bought a copy of X6. I would recommend it. Youll only need to learn the tools / function that are pertinent to you. You'll find lots of Corel help on this board as well as others. Check the amount of posts under the Corel section as compared to others ...... see what I mean. Google Youtube to find help videos for your specific needs.

When I started I wanted to do just parts but now find myself doing more art. Corel works good for both. I did experiment with Solid Edge 2d (free) and was happy with that for parts ultimately moved to Corel for the variety of things I could do with just the one program .............

good luck
Last edited by 99guy on Sat May 16, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TruCutCNC Series1 Gen2 4x8 water
TruTrac THC
Powermax 85 . M85 Torch
TD A120 . SL100SV1
Mach 3 . SheetCam . CorelX6
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Last edited by beefy on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

If you are having trouble drawing, give us a call. We will do a "go to assist" training with you :) That is what we are here for. BobCAD has a somewhat non-standard user interface, but once you know a few of the handy shortcuts, it is not to hard to use. Al at BobCAD has a number of tutorial videos on YouTube. Search YouTube for "BobCAD After Dark".

BobCAD/BobART is the best raster to vector conversion going. We tested it against Illustrator, Corel and even Arbor Image. At the end of the day, it is a very powerful CAD program with a price point that we can include with every machine. Just remember, we support what we sell and we can help you over the hump with BobCAD.
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

I'll also add that BobCAD V27 has a great shape library. Many of our customers have also requested shape nesting. We offer SigmaNest, NestMaster, ProNest and ShopData. The cheapest of them is NestMaster at $2200. BobCAD V27 has some nice changes that make the CAM part more user friendly and offers shape nesting....and we are able to include it at no additional charge. Starting a few weeks we will be be including V27 with BobArt, nesting and CAM. SheetCAM will also be available.

BobCAD is a little more difficult to learn than SheetCAM, but it can do a lot more. As we've always done with SheetCAM and Rhino, we are more than happy to do a remote and show you the ropes. If you have a project to do and you can't figure it out, just give us a call.
--------------------------------------------
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
aldepoalo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

BobCAD CAM

Post by aldepoalo »

Hey guys,

If there is anything I can help with as far as learning curve please let me know. I would be more than willing to create a video based on a napkin sketch or some other sample of what it is you want to draw.

Like anything once you learn the ropes the software is easy to work with.

Al
BobCAD CAM
aldepoalo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by aldepoalo »

Here is a sample video walking through how to draw a flange.

https://youtu.be/_FGNj6_TrXQ
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

Stout wrote:I draw everything in CorelDraw and export as .dxf. Import into my CAM program and go. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to do whatever you want. But it is pretty intuitive.
I have to disagree with the intuitive part. I have been using V Carve pro (more on that in minute) for a couple of years. I have just recently begun the corel draw thing and it is extremely difficult to figure out how to do some things that should be simple and intuitive. I have trouble with offsetting a line a certain distance from another like drawing a square inside another or out another a certain amount. I am learning it, but it is far from intuitive. Try connecting two lines drawn at different times. Even if the nodes are on top of each other. Crazy things can happen. It has some great features, but it is far from a CAD program in my estimation.

I love V Carve Pro. It is about $600. It ha s FANTASTIC nesting portion. The tracing is very good. It is not as nice with a graphics tablet. I like the ability to center an item on another with one click rather than two. It has some quirks also, but seems better suited to plasma cutting than Corel overall. The DXFs are much better from what I can tell. It doesn't create as many nodes on export. It has a free trial you may want to try.

If anyone has a good series of tutorials for CorelDraw, I'd like to watch them. I need the fundamentals I'm sure. I just wouldn't use the word "intuitive"
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
GPM870
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GPM870 »

Lee, Check out Delta cad https://www.deltacad.com/ I have been using it for as long as I have had a computer and works just great. It's simple and easy to use. What is isn't is a high power 3d wonder tool but for simple 2d drawing program it works fine. For $40.00 you can't go wrong.
Gerry
Powermax 85
Sheetcam
Mach 3
4 x 4
burntables table
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

For drawing art, tracing, or such Corel is great. It definitely has a purpose.

For drawing mechanical or functional objects, I use designedge which is the Plasmacam software. I couldn't ask for anything more and yes there was a learning curve but if I want to draw with plotting lines and having things at a certain distance or location, or lines at a certain angle, I use DesignEdge. Since the op does not have a Plasmacam design edge would cost several thousand.

If I were the op I would take trucut on their tutorial on bobcad since you already have the software and they are willing to help.

I like coreldraw for working with art files and it's nice that it is popular. I can type a question in google on how to do something and somewhere I can find an answer on a message board. While I'm sure others with a lot of experience will disagree it is lacking in cad though. It was not intended to be cad. I spent a lot of tine drawing up a detailed bracket in CorelDraw and when I exported to DesignEdge some of the lines were no longer at 180 degrees flat.

Vcarve was also a nice program but I didn't try using it for cad.

If you're like me you need to be able to plot an outline of a part and have curves, bolt holes and clearances areas and everything else all in exact asymmetrical locations and whatnot. This is where I struggled with Corel. If you can get that with bobcad you have nothing more needed but the time to learn it. And the sooner you get started the sooner you can turn a profit on your table.

Of the others mentioned and depending on what kind of cash you'd like to lay out, autocad may be an option because it I'd powerful and had a large user base so plenty of resources out there.

But we do not need 3d, color, shading or any of the other bells and whistles. We just need to draw lines. It should call for relative simple software.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

One thing to remember with BobCAD is that unlike many programs out there, there is no grid or snap to grid. I hear that's coming though. That means if you need to draw with any degree of precision, you have to enter coordinates. There are shortcuts that assist you in that regard. In the Windows world, we're used to drawing with the mouse, not entering coordinates, but once you get used to it, it is a very efficient way of laying out a part.

At the end of the day, just pick a program and commit to learn it. There will be a learning curve with anything you choose. We chose BobCAD because it is a very powerful package with excellent support. For owners of our machine, I can help with Rhino3D and BobCAD, but anything else and you are on your own. I do have some experience with VCarve Pro and ArtCAM, but it's been a while.
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

There's a learning curve with all software . You just have to start trying to use it and keep hammering at it. I've found books aren't much help ,but this site and u tube are .Yes it frustrating,but one day a light bulb will go off and it will,become easy . I use Corel draw and can draw anything from portrait s to mechanical parts very fast . Practice
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
Lee H
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Lee H »

I thank you guys a lot for all the information. For now we hired a local guy to draw up all our parts for us. I plan to check out all the cad programs you guys mentioned and talking to the guys and girl at True cut for help. So the table should be in full production with in two weeks cutting control boxes and parts for powder coat ovens. Thank you again
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

Lee...

I'm more than happy to spend some time with you on a remote going over BobCAD.
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Just my 2 cents. I have had no CAD experience but I was able to teach myself BobCAD from just Al Depoalo's BobCAD After Dark videos and by fiddling with things. I found out how to assign keyboard short cuts and then just practiced making up weird and useless objects. I have grown to really like BobCAD especially with the BobART feature. There is obviously a few things the program can do that I probably wont delve into, but it works pretty good for me. Just need to find time to sit down and learn. I say persevere with BobCAD and see how you go.

I am going to give CorelDraw a go anyway just to see what it's like because so many people on this and other forums have been saying its easy to learn for some things. I'm not so sure that its as good for the design of mechanical parts. But without physically using it, it's all heresay. Wish me luck.

Ben
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

dustywill wrote:
Stout wrote:I draw everything in CorelDraw and export as .dxf. Import into my CAM program and go. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to do whatever you want. But it is pretty intuitive.
I have to disagree with the intuitive part. I have been using V Carve pro (more on that in minute) for a couple of years. I have just recently begun the corel draw thing and it is extremely difficult to figure out how to do some things that should be simple and intuitive. I have trouble with offsetting a line a certain distance from another like drawing a square inside another or out another a certain amount. I am learning it, but it is far from intuitive. Try connecting two lines drawn at different times. Even if the nodes are on top of each other. Crazy things can happen. It has some great features, but it is far from a CAD program in my estimation.

I love V Carve Pro. It is about $600. It ha s FANTASTIC nesting portion. The tracing is very good. It is not as nice with a graphics tablet. I like the ability to center an item on another with one click rather than two. It has some quirks also, but seems better suited to plasma cutting than Corel overall. The DXFs are much better from what I can tell. It doesn't create as many nodes on export. It has a free trial you may want to try.

If anyone has a good series of tutorials for CorelDraw, I'd like to watch them. I need the fundamentals I'm sure. I just wouldn't use the word "intuitive"

Caution: Thread hijack....sorry

Dustywill,

To draw a square inside (or outside) of another square, use the contour tool. Super easy to do. I wrote up a step-by-step on how to do this here:
http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ool#p95530
or:
http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ool#p90241

As for joining nodes (connecting lines) first you need to make sure that the objects you want to join are both on the same layer, do this by selecting the two objects and using the "Combine" option from the "Arrange" pull down menu (You can also just select the objects using your pick tool to draw around them and then right click and select "combine"). Once they are combined as one object, you can then use the node tool (renamed to the "Shape Tool" in newer versions) to select the two nodes that you want joined and then just click the "join two nodes" icon on your top tool bar to join them together. If you want to join all of your pieces all drawn at different times use "CTRL +A" to select all, then use the combine and everything will be combined so you can join anything to anything. Once they are combined, all objects will move as one. You can always break them back apart agian if you need (slect object, right click and choose "Break Curve Apart").

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

There's a learning curve with all software . You just have to start trying to use it and keep hammering at it

I agree 100%. All software has a learning curve and if you are going to go for the mechanical market then you will have to take the time needed to learn at least 2D CAD. It took me about 4 hours a day for 2 weeks before I could begin to understand the work flow in 2D CAD. Now I am very proficient but after several years of daily use. You can learn it, it does not take a rocket scientist just dedication and effort.

I use TurboCad 19 Deluxe for all 2D ($35.00 ebay) Works fantastic! and SolidWorks 2014 for all 3D CAD ($4500.00, YIKES!)

Scott
irish1122
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by irish1122 »

Another option I didnt see anyone say was DraftSight 2015. Its a all free 2d cad program that I use for all my items for now and it works very well. Im still a beginner at all of this but I am getting good with it. It also takes a lot of time to figure it all out. Youtube has helped me figure out a lot as well.
Lee H
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Lee H »

Well after looking at all the programs you suggested I bought the Bend tech sheet metal. I thought this would work great for the products that we put out. Plus if I need to take a class they are here in Minnesota. Plus we also bought corel draw 7 for the secretary to play with for the art stuff.
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Lee H wrote:Well after looking at all the programs you suggested I bought the Bend tech sheet metal. I thought this would work great for the products that we put out. Plus if I need to take a class they are here in Minnesota. Plus we also bought corel draw 7 for the secretary to play with for the art stuff.
They have a support team that is 2nd to none.
Its a very powerful tool for the money.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

I have used DesignCad, AutoCad in the past. I have been a tool & cutter grinder and jig & fixture builder for F-16, F-18, Blackhawk helicopters and Maverick missles. I presently have a full machine shop and have been machining about anything you can think of since 1977. Of all the programs that I have used or been acquainted with the easiest to learn for basic shapes and design is DeltaCad. If you will do the tutorial you will be up and running in 30 minutes. Last time I looked it was 50 bucks.
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

is the tutorial for DeltaCad inclusde in the price :?:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill