Hexavalent chromium! ???

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Zeus83
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hexavalent chromium! ???

Post by Zeus83 »

We burn a lot of stainless, and my safety supervisor told me that the dust collector barrels from my down draft table do not require any safety concerns. The hexavalent chromium in the barrels is being dumped right in the dumpster (trash). Does anyone know if this ok and where I can find info on this matter?
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hexavalent chromium! ???

Post by BrianMick »

I am pretty sure it is just a breathing concern....I don't believe it is a disposal issue.
Brian
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

That is the stuff from the movie (true story) Erin brockavich where it got into the water
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Straight from the Dept of Labor

Hexavalent chromium [Cr(VI)] is one of the valence states (+6) of the element chromium. It is usually produced by an industrial process. Cr(VI) is known to cause cancer. In addition, it targets the respiratory system, kidneys, liver, skin and eyes.

You better get that instruction to just dump it in writing from your boss to CYA (;-).

Just a thought, (;-) TP
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I might be wrong but I thought it was the fumes off the burning stainless that was the issue as a breathing hazard not the solidified slag and such.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

btburn wrote:I might be wrong but I thought it was the fumes off the burning stainless that was the issue as a breathing hazard not the solidified slag and such.
You are correct . . . .

Steve :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”