The Baileigh $1,000 Giveaway / Contest

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
waters035
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: The Baileigh $1,000 Giveaway / Contest

Post by waters035 »

Here is another project I made this month. Its a 48 charcoal BBQ with prep shelf. It was designed with tabs on the ends of the plates so everything just fit together like a puzzle. Main frame is 3/16 plate with 16ga lid.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

waters035
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by waters035 »

Made this custom truck bed for my brother in-laws 1974 Chevy C10 step side.

waters035
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by waters035 »

Made a few of these as well. The body is plasma cut from 7" tube on our tube attachment. Then the ends and grill were cut from 3/16 plate. They turned out very nice.

SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Weathervane

Post by SeanP »

This is my entry to the Baileigh contest, it's something I have been planning and wanting to get into for a while now, just worked out at the right time for a entry here.

I started out on this plasma cutting adventure 18 months ago now,,,,,youtube has a lot to answer for! that's where I first got the idea to build a CNC Plasma table.

The help I have had from people on this and other forums has been amazing, one person in particular (AJ from Baton Rouge) he is half way around the world from me , almost on a daily basis we exchange emails discussing problems and jobs.

Pics of my table building adventure LINK HERE

So here is a video showing the production of the 'Weathervanes' and some of the designs LINK HERE

Video of working Weathervane LINK HERE

And the photo album of the project LINK HERE
Clip.jpg
Many thanks
Sean

Last edited by SeanP on Sat May 31, 2014 6:49 am, edited 16 times in total.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Here's one we just finished up tonight. We wanted to do an ocean theme so we cut some coral and added stone and a giant sea turtle. We still need to powdercoat the turtle but for the most part it's all finished. The two large curved pieces you see are actually and old piece of railroad track that we cut in half using an oxy/acetylene torch and the heat from the torch gave us the bends you see. Each piece was hand drawn and cut separately on our 4'x4' Tracker CNC Plasma Table, cleaned then powdercoated and welded in place. The turtle was the most challenging with over 100 lead ins and took the most time to complete. The entire piece stands about 6' tall and 4' wide I hope you like it.
Turtle Sculpture.jpg
I've also attached a few of our original sketches for you to see.
Scan0033.jpg
Scan0019.jpg

m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

Well here is our entry. I was hoping to have the website up and have them on the market, but.....
sides.jpg
frame.jpg
CIMG0806.JPG
Then add the sides. Either in diamond plate or smooth for decals or paint.
CIMG0783.JPG
CIMG0804.JPG
And the point of all this........
cart.jpg
Hopefully we can give some added functionality/mobility for our veterans and disabled.

Thank you for the opportunity to share.

Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
M & N Steel CNC
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by M & N Steel CNC »

Thanks to all the folks at Baileigh for this awesome opportunity to view others creations and art. And for making a great product!!

In 2011 my husband and I got a crazy idea that we wanted to cut metal art and signs, well mostly me, he went along for the ride. I was thinking this would be a great retirement opportunity for him. We purchased a Plasma Route made right here in Ada Oklahoma. I knew absolutely nothing about how to do this or what I was getting into. I just knew I wanted to do it.
Thanks to this site, we have become very successful, and enjoy it very much.

My entry is a light we made for our patio. We love the outdoors and enjoy watching the deer and hawks that spend time in the area. This light is made from 14 gauge steel and is 6 separate pieces. The Letter ' R ' in the end is the initial of our last name.

First is drawing the design in Corel Draw X5. I had the vision of a pool table style light. Drew the frame for the front. Then the frame for the end. When you rotate the end to the side in your drawing they should match so you know they will fit when welded.
Piece rotated to fit.png
Make a contour of the front piece to give a frame and combine.

Now for the design, find drawings of what you want to see in the inside and trace or use pre-made DXF files.
Combine together to give you the look you are wanting. Delete all small openings or holes, looks better without them. Lesson learned, this is a plasma design not laser, cutouts too small are bad, take them out. Combine all the individual pieces to form your design.
Deer grass trees jpeg.jpg
pieces to combine.jpg
Make a DXF of your final project, one end, one side and one top. Need to cut 2 ends and 2 sides, and 1 top.
Patio Light 5.jpg
Insert file into sheetcam, select metal and tooling, sheetcam makes cut paths with lead ins and leadouts. Then create the G-code in sheet cam.
Sheetcam.jpg
Insert file into Mach 3,
Mach 3.JPG
Now the fun begins. Decide on a place on your sheet of 14 ga that you want to cut the design out of, move the torch to that point and reset your x and y. Make sure your piece in grounded, make sure your piece is grounded, make sure your piece is grounded, yes, I have made this mistake more than once:) Select your THC on, then press RUN. Watch for pieces that don't fall thru and stick up, don't want your torch to hit them and move the steel, pick those up with a magnet.
Plasma cutting.jpg
When the cut is finished, now you can breath again.:]
Light cut.jpg
Remove dross, Match pieces for fit and weld up, Prime and paint.
Patio light primed.jpg
Painted with Moonlight copper metallic paint, Love the finish.
Moonlight copper paint.jpg
Attach light bar, hook up electrical and make sure it all works.
Hung up to show off our fireplace and give ambience to our patio.

See second post for final pictures.

Hope you enjoy our design and work. Love your products.

PlasmaRoute CNC 4 x 4
Corel Draw X5
SheetCam

Baileigh 12 gauge 40 inch box brake
M & N Steel CNC
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Hung up to show off our fireplace and give ambience to our patio.
Light Hanging.JPG
Light lit up.JPG
Placed colored plexi glass on inside walls to give warm glow.
photo 4.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Hope you enjoy our design and work. Love your products.
Thanks again for giving us the opportunity to view the creations of others.
Nancy and Mike Regan.

Last edited by M & N Steel CNC on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlasmaRoute CNC 4 x 4
Corel Draw X5
SheetCam

Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Here's my entry for the Baileigh contest.

I became interested in Plasma cutting a few years ago. I built my own table after studying other builds, brands and features. You can look at my build thread here: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=7444 There's lots of links to videos I made at the time, and I asked and answered tons of questions. I couldn't have done it without Plasma Spider and all the awesome folks who are a part of this community!

So the first link is to the overview video of my submission... it's around 11 minutes, sorry, I tried to keep it short while including everything. The second link is to a sort of instructional video of me fabricating the bulb cage. It's around 8 minutes. Again, I apologize for the length... I just taught myself some basic video editing to be able to do these submissions.... I'll get better at it!

I'd like to thank the folks at Baileigh for sponsoring the contest. It really motivated me to take my work to another level which I always strive to do, but knowing that there's a possibility to own a piece or two of high quality metal working tools from Baileigh really inspired me! I hope you like my work... It was a mixture of fun, frustration, problem solving and a lot of hours in the shop after working on other projects during the day.

So without further ado, I present "Kansas" my entry to the Baileigh Giveaway/Contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94iyBGdaqIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8_Axw14LI
20140531213745_SAM_0528.JPG
20140531213907_SAM_0536.JPG
20140531213918_SAM_0533.JPG
20140531213831_SAM_0530.JPG
20140531213907_SAM_0531.JPG
20140531213951_SAM_0538.JPG
20140531213843_SAM_0532.JPG
20140601030802_SAM_0552.JPG
Thanks for looking, and I hope you like my project.... I've really enjoyed working on it, and I'm so very thankful for all the assistance and knowledge I've gained here over the last few years!

Oldsarge

6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Thanks and congratulations to all that entered, one one may get the prize but you are all in winners in your own rite. Some great submissions and thanks to Baileigh for running the contest.
Murray
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

muzza wrote:Thanks and congratulations to all that entered, one one may get the prize but you are all in winners in your own rite. Some great submissions and thanks to Baileigh for running the contest.
Murray

I agree, they all look great.
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

First of all, I just want to say nice job to everyone that has submitted their contest entry, they are all very impressive! Nice to see the wide range of talent on the site.

This is my second entry and really was something that I have always wanted to work on but never had a reason to sneak it to the top of my priority list. I made a custom Headache Rack for my truck. I worked on the Aluminum sign that I posted earlier in this contest toward the beginning of the month but as soon as I finished that I jumped on this as my 'fun' project.Having broken a few back windows, this is long overdue. I never really found a headache rack that I liked that you could buy at the store so I made my own. And I'm pretty sure it turned out such that I can pick up the whole truck just from the rack.

I made this out of 11ga 1.5x3" rectangular tubing, and custom plasma cut 11ga sheet metal by yours truly. The mounting feet that attach the rack to the truck bed was plasma cut rectangular pieces of 3/8 plate. I took some rough dimensions and roughed out an outline in Autocad. Then after playing around with how I wanted it to look I finally came up with a design that I was happy with. I then used Autocad to give me the cut dimensions I needed for dicing up the square tubing that I bought in 10' lengths. I did all this with a 'wobbly' chop saw which introduced a few issues but other than that all the pieces fit perfect. I Mig welded the steel frame together. Then I plasma cut some 3/8 plate into mounting plates and welded those to the frame.

Once the frame was assembled, I set it up on the truck to verify that it had the look I was going for and that it fit correctly. At this point I really got excited because it started to feel 'real'. I plasma cut some plate with oval cutouts for LED stop/turn/tail lights, and LED backup/spot lights. I plasma cut a plate for mounting a 120 VAC outdoor electrical box since I have a power inverter hard wired through the truck. I also cut a second electrical box plate with a rectangular hole where I plug in my PA speakers for listening to music while camping or tailgating. Then I also plasma cut some spider webbed corners to strengthen the feet to the frame though I'm not sure it really needed (but that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I was going to cut 'Mudflap Girls' instead of the webs but the ole' lady thought the webs looked better...

I plasma cut my business and website into some plate that I screwed into the frame via tapped machine screw holes. I also plasma cut the Baileigh Logo as it only seemed fitting to put their name on full display for graciously offering up this contest prize! As you can see in the pictures, I coated those in some Steel FX Copper Patina and put a clear coat finish over the top for protection. I drilled and tapped holes for mounting so that during the different seasons I can put a different custom plate across the headache rack. I need to put some plasma cut Arctic Cat art work up in the winter! I can promise you, I will make this the most versatile headache rack out there.

I didn't want any of my wiring for the lights showing so I had to strategically drill holes in the square tubing so I could run all the wiring through the tubing to go down into the bed of the truck to mate with the Ford Wiring Harness. I had some electrical issues which caused the delay in the nice daytime pictures so I apologize if they are too dark. What's not shown is that I filled all the electrical pass through holes through the square tubing with rubber grommets as those hole edges were very sharp.

The final coat was a gloss black finish. After I drive around for awhile and use it and tweak it here and there the plan will be to powder coat it like I do with all my plasma cut finished products that are not Steel FX Patina'd. I will also run some square tubing down the length of the bed rails standing about 2" high with round posts along the way so I can tie equipment down easier and give the headache rack an even bigger 'look and feel'. I made sure to plan the height of the lower cross piece to be the right height to mate with it.

Hope you guys like what I did and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will also post the cad files of the pieces I cut on the dxf sharing side once I get all my corrected files of the Pcam computer. And I'd be happy to share the cad file for the frame design if anyone cares.

Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

Wow, we had a ton of last minute entries. Give us a little while to review.....
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Serious metal fabrication equipment
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

OK, wheeew! This was a close one!

After much debate......the winner is M & N Steel CNC

We would like to thank everyone who entered
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

M & N Steel CNC
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

WOW!! :mrgreen:

Thanks so much Baileigh!!
PlasmaRoute CNC 4 x 4
Corel Draw X5
SheetCam

Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

M & N Steel CNC wrote:WOW!! :mrgreen:

Thanks so much Baileigh!!
Call me 920-482-3220
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Well done M & N!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
M & N Steel CNC
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

SeanP wrote:Well done M & N!
Loved yours also Sean P!!
PlasmaRoute CNC 4 x 4
Corel Draw X5
SheetCam

Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Good On Ya M&N ! The lamp is very well suited in that location!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
M & N Steel CNC
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Oldsarge wrote:Good On Ya M&N ! The lamp is very well suited in that location!

Oldsarge
Thanks Old Sarge, Loved your Kansas Steam tornado, Just like home!
PlasmaRoute CNC 4 x 4
Corel Draw X5
SheetCam

m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

Well done all and congrats M&N. Keep up the good work everyone.

Thank you Baileigh for the opportunity to participate!
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Congrats on the Win! Thanks for the giveaway Shane and the Baileigh Crew!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
waters035
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by waters035 »

Congrats M & N Steel CNC. Where do you get the coloured plexi ? Is is less expensive than mica?

Jason
M & N Steel CNC
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

waters035 wrote:Congrats M & N Steel CNC. Where do you get the coloured plexi ? Is is less expensive than mica?

Jason
Jason, our local Glass and window store had some that he has had for a long time and gave me a good deal on it.
PlasmaRoute CNC 4 x 4
Corel Draw X5
SheetCam

Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Congrats Nancy & Mike, beautiful light, all where good entries, must have been a tough deciding on just one. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”