The Baileigh $1,000 Giveaway / Contest

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

The Baileigh $1,000 Giveaway / Contest

Post by Baileigh Inc »

My name is Shane from Baileigh Industrial. We offer a full line of industrial grade and entry level metal fabrication and woodworking machinery. We are very active on social media and are involved with over 45 forums worldwide. We contribute with helpful content, fabrication tips and tricks, help promote our customer?s projects in addition to contests and giveaways that help teach the beginners how it?s done??all for the love of metal and wood!

We have the largest social media following on the industry with well over ? million followers on Facebook and 75,000 on Instagram.

Follow us to join the fun!
https://www.facebook.com/BaileighIndustrialInc
http://instagram.com/baileigh_industrial
https://twitter.com/BaileighInc

We would like to kick off our introduction on Plasma Spider by having a little giveaway! The winner gets $1,000 in Baileigh bucks, free shipping, banners, hats and a worldwide press release showing off their work to the world!
The contest is simple; impress the judges at Baileigh with your project and teach the rest of us your craft. Whether it is a simple .DXF file or drawing, or a full blown plasma cut masterpiece with layers, colors and patina, ?wow? the judges and teach us all how you did it and win.

Please note this contest is to help ?teach us? as well as ?impress us? so step by step instructions with good pictures and videos always score well with the judges. Just a simple cell phone picture of a completed project from across your garage will probably be overlooked.

? Contest runs from 5-1-14 to 6-1-14.
? Enter as many times as you like and keep your entries ?clean? and family friendly.
? Please create your masterpiece during the contest, do not post entries from past projects.
? Please note this is a ?Baileigh contest??. keep that in mind when taking pictures around your shop as some of them might be used if you win. (just use good judgment)
? Please keep your entries relevant to this forum (don?t make oak cabinets in your kitchen as an entry)
? Please remember to share your craft with us all, teach us how, post lots of pics and videos if possible.
? The most important rule is to have fun with it!

Please post your completed entries back in this thread. Please do not pollute the thread with 100 different posts of your progress.

Please check us out if you are interested in getting into plasma cutting. We offer a full line of CNC plasma tables and CNC wood router tables that have been quite popular. Email me direct with any questions shenderson@baileigh.com

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Baileigh Inc on Fri May 02, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
shenderson@baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Serious metal fabrication equipment
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: The Baileigh $1,000 Giveaway / Contest

Post by Oldsarge »

IT'S ON!!!!! Very excited about this contest.... Good luck to all!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

crickets?
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Baileigh Inc wrote:crickets?
Everyone's in the shop starting there project... :ugeek: :idea: :D
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

I added to the rules about posting, thanks
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

....any hints on projects?
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Baileigh Inc wrote:....any hints on projects?

I have 2 that I'm going to try to finish in time.... First is a file that was posted here in 2011, had 31 posts, and to my knowledge has never been cut, assembled and posted by anybody.... My version is VERY heavy and kicking my butt at the moment.

The second project is so epic all I can say is "Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore Toto!" Mwahahahhaa!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Do we get extra credit if we make a fancy Baileigh Sign back lit with RGB lighting?????
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

yeomansjon wrote:Do we get extra credit if we make a fancy Baileigh Sign back lit with RGB lighting?????
Im sure the judges would love that :D
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

Let's see some entries! :D
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I have some finishing touches to get finished, but here's a teaser, pics and video to follow!

Oldsarge
20140506_174414.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Shane, and the folks at Baileigh - Thank you So Much for your support of this site and its members!

I have a nice piece of artwork that just finished for this contest and it was a fun little project.

Before I discuss my entry, I would like to take a minute to give you some of my background. A year ago, I built a 4'x8' CNC Plasma Cutter - when I say I built it, I mean I built every bit of it. I sourced the Stepper Motors, Controller power supply, Gecko G540 Controller with Candcnc LCTHC torch height control with a Hypertherm 1250 plasma machine. I assembled and wired my own controller box, complete with the Torch Height Control and wired up all of my motors and Z axis limit switch. This has been a very long process of learning the software along with the hardware bugs associated with a home built machine.

The Design

I wanted a 1-off sign that nobody else had - in fact, I have never seen any vintage tin signs on the market for old gas engines of this brand - they simply are not available.

I obtained a copy of this image online, which was printed on a vintage operators manual for this brand of equipment.

Since this image was flat and parallel to my drawing plane, it required a simple trace to complete it. When I say simple, it means taking the time to draw each line over an inserted image into my CAD program. I adjusted the cut profiles for the "drop out" letters such as the "A", "O" and so on. I carefully traced the image in AutoCad and created my G-Code using Sheetcam. I have been drawing in Autocad for 22 years so, its first nature to me.

Layout CAD Drawing

The Cut

I decided to use 12 Guage metal to give the sign a substantial feel, plus I wanted the through cut letters to have a better reveal. I also planned on layering the sign because that is what Shane asked for - something multi-layered! :D Here is how the sign parts lay out after being burned out. The main base sign has through holes plasma cut into the sign, below each layered part. I burned these in with my mig from the back side of the sign, plus added a few discrete tack welds on the front face. I wanted the sharpness of the plasma cut layers to be the premise of how the sign would look once finished, so I took care to make sure these tack welds on the face of the sign would be merely nonexistent.

I removed all the mill scale and polished up the sign using muratic acid to remove the scale, and a liberal amount of polishing discs for a nice finish. I use Steel FX products on many of my art projects with good results. This piece - I did not want the highly polished copper finish their products offer, I wanted an antiqued copper look. I used Copper FX for my base patina and used Torch FX for the blue accents. The antiquing of the copper happened naturally as I allowed some time between the Copper FX and the Torch FX applications.

Image Application

I could not find a clear enough image of the "Frost King" in the circle portion of the sign, so I scoured the internet and found an image from an auction site where a Vintage Lauson Gas Engines button had been sold. I loved how antique the button looked so I decided I would deco-page the image to the sign, then clear coat the entire sign with glaze. I used a glue application of Mod Podge to secure the printed image to the sign. I coated the image with the same glue, then applied some thick glaze aerosol to clear the entire sign in several even coats.

Finished Product!

I think the sign turned out perfect! I installed keyhole hangers in the back for hanging, as well as some round tube to the back for adding removable rebar "legs" to display the sign at gas engine shows around my area.

Baileigh Industrial - Please consider me for an entrant in your Contest. I want to be your Spokesperson for Plasma Spider! I would be happy to write a review of the product I select from Baileigh Industrial for the Plasma Spider forum.

This Sign is a true custom made piece and you'll never see another like it. It shows what we can do out here in the Industry with information learned right here on Plasma Spider.
Last edited by Nacs Fab on Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

Very nice......good job 8-)
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Nice job on your sign Nacs Fab!!! Looks great...

In working on my project, I have come to realize there are many things I could sure use from Baileigh with that thousand bucks!!! My chop saw with a 3/16 wide blade wobbles so bad that my cuts are about 1/4 wide... :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see more projects come through!
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

These are 2 garden panels we designed. They are seven feet tall and cut from 14 gauge steel then wrapped in 1 1/2" square tubing and welded to a 1/2" thick steel plate. Were working with a 4'x4' plasma table so each sheet had to be indexed and moved so we could do everything on one sheet without having to cut the design in half. For the finish we used a solution of Muriatic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide and let it sit for a few days before rinsing off and clearcoating. The idea behind them is that they will cast a shadow of the design onto the ground.

Scan0003.jpg
Scan0002.jpg
1509141_520437991399724_4428313851879941337_n.jpg
10154936_789624244389651_6052703002179401608_n.jpg

Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

Couple good ones so far
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Here is an Aluminum sign that I made for a customer this month. What made this project difficult was that the customer wanted 4' x 4' aluminum and a brushed finish. As people on this site have discussed, plasma cutting aluminum this big presents all kinds of warping issues that I had to deal with. But more importantly, trying to put a consistent brushed finish without a single 4' long roller is very difficult. Here is what I came up with and hopefully this will help others that want to do the same.

I bought a 4' x 4' square sheet of 6061 Aluminum, 1/4" thick to start with. I then took the image of the logo picture supplied and converted it to a dxf file using Adobe Illustrator and then AutoCad. After making a few test cuts to get the Hypertherm Pmax 1000 and Plasmacam DHC dialed in I started cutting. After cutting the whole profile, I noticed the inner circle appeared to be off a little bit. The warpage had caused this problem. I plotted the 'As Cut' profile in Autocad, overlayed it to the original, and designed a 'sliver piece' to cut that would bring the inner circle back within round. I staged this cut in pieces to avoid warpage again. This did the trick.

I then got together with my buddy that helps with Tig welding, and we welded aluminum angle brackets to the back. The idea is that a mating aluminum angle bracket will mount to the sheet rock wall with sheet rock anchors, and 2 bolts would connect the two angles together at about a 1" standoff.

Once welded, I began the finishing process. The raw aluminum plate came with a lot of scratches so it had to be sanded down. The customer wanted a satin brushed finish. Using a belt sander and a straight edge, I made multiple passes along the sign, measuring and re-setting the straight edge after each pass. This gave me a uniform even brushed finish. After sanding, I used scotch brite pads and by hand sanded in the direction of the grain to 'take the edge off' the bent sander marks. This evened it all up. I did a final pass with the scotch brite pad and acetone to clean all the dirt and finger prints off before clear coating.

I brought the sign to my buddies autobody shop and had it clear coated using automotive clear in an oven for a baked on clear coat to make it shine. After it was done, it was ready to hang.

In hindsight, I would move the brackets a little closer to the outer edge to make it easier to install, but we were able to get it using long screw drivers and wing nuts. The final installation was impressive and the customer was very happy.

Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Very nice aluminum cuts! Good Job Sir!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
sc6917
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sc6917 »

Here is a project I have been working on for a couple of weeks. It is made of steel ranging in thickness from 10 GA to 16 GA. The blades actually spin (wind driven), I used a piece of steel tubing that I machined on both ends for sealed bearings and welded to the front plate. I used a 5/8 x 4 1/2" bolt for the axle. The blades are cut from 16ga steel and bent bent on my 3 in 1 shear,brake, roller. All the parts were drawn up on Corel draw for this project and cut out on my 4x4 CNC plasma table except for the arms at the back of the windmill, I used 3/4" square tubing and 1" x 2" tubing. I made the roof out of 16ga as well with a truss inner brace so it can be removed in one piece so the back arms could be powder coated a different color and to have access for installing the blade assembly as well.
I was hoping the powder coater would have finished it before the contest ended, but that didn't happen:( I will post pictures of assembly when I get it back in the picture gallery. Good luck to all that entered the contest!

Last edited by sc6917 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Vander Meer
Nampa Idaho
Arclight Dynamics Arcpro 4800
Powermax 65
waters035
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by waters035 »

photo (1).JPG
I made this railing recently.

Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

Couple days left!
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Baileigh Inc wrote:Couple days left!

Can we still submit projects on Saturday or do they need to be in be Friday night? I'm putting the finishing touches on today and tomorrow!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

Oldsarge wrote:
Baileigh Inc wrote:Couple days left!

Can we still submit projects on Saturday or do they need to be in be Friday night? I'm putting the finishing touches on today and tomorrow!

Oldsarge
Contest runs from 5-1-14 to 6-1-14
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Baileigh Inc wrote:
I read this as entries can be submitted during and up to the end of the day Sunday, 6/1... Which is good because my 'finishing touches' on my project are taking longer than expected... as should have been expected...
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
Baileigh Inc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Baileigh Inc »

yeomansjon wrote:
Baileigh Inc wrote:
I read this as entries can be submitted during and up to the end of the day Sunday, 6/1... Which is good because my 'finishing touches' on my project are taking longer than expected... as should have been expected...
Get in there! You have till 6/1 @ 11:59
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial
920-482-3220

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”