Water Table Rust Prevention

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
KenTexFabrications
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Water Table Rust Prevention

Post by KenTexFabrications »

We are building a water pan to capture the plasma dust on our table. We had considered lining the pan with a urethane that is 15 mils thick to aid in preventing rust. We are also planning on using the PlasmaQuench recipe posted earlier. My question is to those of you who use the PlasmaQuech, do you think that it would be worth the extra expense (around $150 for the urethane) and time to coat the pan if we are going to also use the PlasmaQuench?

Thanks
Ken Miller
KenTex Fabrications
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Water Table Rust Prevention

Post by plain ol Bill »

I would not go to the expense or trouble unless your container is not sealed and leaks. Plasma Quench or the home made equilivant of it will prevent rust. I have had the home made version in my table for well over six months now. I sandblasted some small pieces of steel when I filled the table and put them in the water where I could see them and keep an eye out for rust. To date they have darkened some but still no rust. My water table is designed so I can cover the support slats with water. The slats are normal A36 steel flat bar stock and the slats have no rust on them either.
If you decide to use the commercial Plasma Quench good luck getting product from them. My experience with them was not good at all.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
KenTexFabrications
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by KenTexFabrications »

Thanks for your reply. I just didn't know if it might be worth the extra time and money. I looked at your table build a long while back on the "Zone", and thought it was very well thought out. I have decided to not build the water reservoir on my table, but I really like the idea. I think I will use the space under the table for my plate storage rack instead. Also, I wanted to tell you how nice I thought your knives are! Masterful Work you should post some pic's here on this site. Thanks again.

Ken Miller
KentexFabrications 8-)
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I dont currently have the luxury of owning my own table but thanks to a long time mate I do get the oportunity to do a bit of cutting on his Plasmacam.

Last week we built a water bath to contain the grating and were instantly impressed with the efficiency at removing dust and fume. We were all set to mix up a brew of Plasmaquench as posted here to add to the water for corrosion protecton but when we went sourcing "Sodium Nitrite" (NaNO2) and said what we were using it for we were allerted to the health risks associated. A bit of googling and we found that although it has been widely used as a food additive it has also been stongly linked with cancer and causing migranes (which is what chemical suppliers here in Oz told us) especially when heated.

A bit more asking around and we were told to try automotive radiator inhibitor on several occasions, has anybody else tried this and if so what are the plusses and minuses.

PS Thanks to everyone here for sharing their wealth of knowledge, I'm a real newbie, dont post a lot but read heaps here.

Thanks

Murray
eteled
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by eteled »

I have been using a water tabe for about 6 months now and l havent used any plasma quench or homemade stuff and havent had any rust issuses as long as everything is submersed it wount rust at least very quickly. if water is left on the sheet above it will rust but most of the time your going to sandblast it anyway to finish it .save your $150.00 bucks + whatever plasma quench is
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

I DO NOT want to infer that using sodium nitrite or any other chemical cannot be harmful. Now with that said I have done some lookiing at the possible hazards using Plasma Quench or the home made version of it. I spoke with a good chemist and again he would not come out and say that ANY CHEMICAL could or would not cause possible side affects. But the potency of the chemicals used is diluted to such an extent with water that hazards are drastically cut. Remember when science came out with the warnings that coffee produced cancer in rats. Well the amount of coffee concentrate they were giving those rats would cause cancer in a ROCK. Again any chemicals can be hazardous to your health and use them with a mind to your health. Myself I will continue to use my home made Plasma Quench.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Hey Bill, I agree with what you are saying. If we listened to everything we,re told is bad for us we'd live on bread and water and not venture outside but then that would probably kill us too. ;)

The question raised was if anyone had tried radiator inhibitor and what sort of results thhey had ? Interested to know if this may also contain undesirable chemicals.

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”