Please help with reel hinge design!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
elkriverfab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Please help with reel hinge design!

Post by elkriverfab »

I am building a double reel for holding leads (ground and stinger cables).

I want my reels to be on bearings.

Does anyone have any ideas on doing this?

My idea was to use two trailer spindles and insert bearings and races in tubing or pipe.

The problem I have is, I dont have a lathe or tools to bore out the pipe for the races.

There are some kits for jeep swing out tire carriers out there that are the same idea (weld in spindle, pre cut pipe, inserts and bearings), but I want to keep cost down as much as I can.

Doe's anyone have an idea out there?

I have come up with other ideas but they don't incude bearings.

My reel centers will be round tubing(2 to 2-1/2 inches or so with 10 inch plasma cut discs in each end.

They will mount off to the side of 3 inch x 3 inch square tubing.

The 3 inch x 3 inch tubing will have a base plate welded to it that will bolt in the bed of a truck(insulated).

If anyone has an idea on spool bearings that work, that would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Shawn.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Please help with reel hinge design!

Post by Loyd »

I have a business building reels but not as you describe. http://www.weldreel.com
I have thrown together a drawing that may work for you. See what you think.
Loyd
CABLE REEL.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
cambo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cambo »

Hey Shawn I was in the portable welding business for 13 years and seen many different cable wraps.I personally still use the old skool hook wraps as they are easier on your cables. Cable wraps, if you are doing alot of welding you should spool all the cable off as they heat quickly.But if you like the spools i think Loyds idea is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go.If you want to spend some money check out www.alumareels.com they use a setup that you dont have to disconnect your cables to wrap them up.They use some kind of internal contact not sure what it is but I have seen lots of welders waste alot of time trying to figure it out.I have built a set like Loyds drawing for a guy a few years ago and he still useing them with no problems.just my 2cents worth. Good luck with your project
cambo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cambo »

I just got an email from alumareel there ground and stinger reels are $480 each canadian. just for your info.have a good one!
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

cambo wrote:Hey Shawn I was in the portable welding business for 13 years and seen many different cable wraps.I personally still use the old skool hook wraps as they are easier on your cables. Cable wraps, if you are doing alot of welding you should spool all the cable off as they heat quickly.But if you like the spools i think Loyds idea is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go.If you want to spend some money check out http://www.alumareels.com they use a setup that you dont have to disconnect your cables to wrap them up.They use some kind of internal contact not sure what it is but I have seen lots of welders waste alot of time trying to figure it out.I have built a set like Loyds drawing for a guy a few years ago and he still useing them with no problems.just my 2cents worth. Good luck with your project
Cambo....

Thanks for your ideas.

I came up with a way to design the reels that are hot or cold bed design.

I have insulated the reels axles from the main frame and set it up to actually run short leads to the welder from the reel , than connect the long leads to the reels.

The reels are vented to aid in cooling .

It should handle around 500 amps or so.

As far as the axle spindle, I designed my own parts in plasmacam. I just install my bearing inserts to the cut parts.

The reels have an adjustable spring pre load to keep them from free spooling when un coiled.

I built the whole thing yesterday and everything went as planned.

I just hope they handle the amps, they should.

I think there is enough metal to metal contact to do so.

Thanks again!
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

How about some pix? Sounds like a good idea.
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
cambo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cambo »

I'm with loyd sounds cool.keep us informed on how they work.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”