Purchase Confusion

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Purchase Confusion

Post by ColoradoWayne »

I am new here and have to say I really enjoy reading all the posts. I have ZERO experience in this arena. It is comforting to know I am not alone in the total confusion on what table to purchase. It seems like just about everyone is very happy with their system. The only thing I've been able to ascertain by my reading is that there is no single clear leader in the Plasma CNC table business. Everyone is producing great things, I am very impressed. I, like so many others, want to do some art work and make a little money, no heavy production. I've been looking at 6 systems; Torchmate, LDR, PlasmaCam, Fastcut, BurnTables and Arclight. I'm looking at these 6 quite frankly because they are the ones that popped up on my radar - nothing more. Since there is no standard for quotes, it is hard to get a real apples to apples comparison. I believe I want a water table, router capabilities, automatic torch height (must have), PowerMax 65 and a reasonable warranty. I think I would like to be able to engrave, but not sure on that. For software I would prefer something non-proprietary, for personal reasons.
Right now I am leaning heavily toward the LDR Motion Systems. Has anyone been disappointed with them or have first hand knowledge of any reason why that is not a great choice.

Thanks
ssbn.981
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Purchase Confusion

Post by ssbn.981 »

hey,
i am fairly new to this myself. have been cutting since may. i have a torchmate system. i do not have the water table but i plan on making one. i have the 4 by 8 table and using the thermal dynamics 60 amp cutter. i also got the automatic height control. using the software that comes with the package. i thought about some of the other systems but i was more happy with the customer support at torchmate. i call them up and they have been there every time and called back in a reasonable time.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Check out this other thread....I just posted a rather lengthy post discussing some features, etc of the low cost cnc plasma table market.

Jim Colt

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11987

ColoradoWayne wrote:I am new here and have to say I really enjoy reading all the posts. I have ZERO experience in this arena. It is comforting to know I am not alone in the total confusion on what table to purchase. It seems like just about everyone is very happy with their system. The only thing I've been able to ascertain by my reading is that there is no single clear leader in the Plasma CNC table business. Everyone is producing great things, I am very impressed. I, like so many others, want to do some art work and make a little money, no heavy production. I've been looking at 6 systems; Torchmate, LDR, PlasmaCam, Fastcut, BurnTables and Arclight. I'm looking at these 6 quite frankly because they are the ones that popped up on my radar - nothing more. Since there is no standard for quotes, it is hard to get a real apples to apples comparison. I believe I want a water table, router capabilities, automatic torch height (must have), PowerMax 65 and a reasonable warranty. I think I would like to be able to engrave, but not sure on that. For software I would prefer something non-proprietary, for personal reasons.
Right now I am leaning heavily toward the LDR Motion Systems. Has anyone been disappointed with them or have first hand knowledge of any reason why that is not a great choice.

Thanks
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

Check out Plasma Route - they have a 4 x 4 water table. That is the one that I currently own. I've had mine almost 3 years and have not had any problems concerning the machine. I have had an issue with tip-up and I wished I had a magnetic release. One call to Nikki and the part was on the way! This is a turnkey table with everything need to start cutting once you get it back home. They are made at their shop in Ada, OK.
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

check out ARCLIGHT. GREAT PRODUCT GREAT SERVICE. free training and training videos
http://arclightcnc.com/training.html
hi-quality reasonable priced.
and if you don't have a cutter the hypertherm is the best out there. if you can afford it. get the power max 65 or bigger
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Granite »

I have a Plasmaroute systems as well.

I was leaning hard towards a PlasmaCam since they seem to have great support. But in the 11th hour I learned they have proprietary software. Based upon past experience, that scared me.

Plasmaroute uses SheetCam to setup your tool paths and generate the G-code file. And Mach 3 to control the machine. Plus, when I bought my system, spring of 2012, Plasmaroute's 4x4 water table was far more stout than the PlasmaCam table.

I bought the pneumatic plate marker with my system. Don't use it much but I'm glad I have it.

The Milwaukee Heavy Duty variable speed router has been great, although its cumbersome to change router bits during a job.

Overall its a great package for the money. Especially if you are cutting steel most of the time. If I were running the router daily, I'd definitely opt for a spindle with better tool changing capabilities...and...a good vacuum solution.
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Granite »

I forgot to mention the plasma unit itself. I got a Thermal Dynamics A-60, based upon Plasmaroute's recommendation. Although they told me I could substitute a HyperTherm unit as they are great too. Not knowing anything, I went with the A-60 because that is what they recommended.

In hindsight, now that I see how much support Jim Colt and HyperTherm provide to the trade. I think they are the clear choice for my next unit. They have great Webinar's and nobody can hold a candle to what Jim Colt gives back to the trade with his posts.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”