New guy on the block intoduction

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
RayRay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New guy on the block intoduction

Post by RayRay »

Good day to all you plasma cutting enthusiast. My name is Ray and I live in the NW corner of Tarrant County. I have been working at a major fighter airplane manufacturing company for the past 27 years and I am starting to get excited about retiring in a few more years. I saw athe Plasma Cam in one of the magazines I get from the NRA and it intrigued me so much I started researching the possibility of buying one. I researched Plasma Cam, and a bunch of others, but finally settled on, and purchased, a 4 x 8 CNC table from Plasma Route CNC, L.L.C. located in Ada, Oklahoma. In fact, I just picked it up last Friday (12/18) and hauled it home. I didn?t want to have to worry too much about fumes and dust so I had a water table built into it as well. I got the Thermal Dynamics A80 Cutmaster plasma cutter to power the machine.

I also built a small powder coat paint booth out of 2 x 4s and plastic, I know? kinda cheesy, but it is what it is for now, but my biggest problem is size. I know they say size isn?t everything but I want to cut large pieces and powder coat them but they will not fit into my standard kitchen type oven. I need a larger oven with a rack I can hand parts from and roll into the oven and fire it up. I am thinking of building one and using a torpedo heater as the heat source. Time will tell, but that is my plan anyway.

Well, enough about me. Tell me about some you folks. Where are y?all located? What do you do for a living? Are you making a living based solely of plasma cutting and the such or is just a hobby that provides a bit of part time income? I have mine set up as a legitimate business with a tax ID and the whole works, because some day in the next three or four years I want to quit my ?real job? and be able to make a decent living with plasma works.

If there is anyone in Tarrant County who would like to hook up and maybe work some projects together or just connect to expand out business networking circle, you can contact me at raymorris@cowtownplasma.com.

It?s my pleasure to make all your acquaintances and I wish you all the best of luck in all your endeavors.

God Bless America.

Ray Ray 8-)
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: New guy on the block intoduction

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Building a power coat oven is not a difficult task. I built one in about 2 weeks and can put just about anything in it I want to.
Here is a link to my site it has some good info and links to help you.
http://www.priority1designs.net/index.p ... OVEN-BUILD
good luck on your retirement
Greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site RayRay :) Sounds like your in for a load of fun with your new equipment. Your going to like it here, theres a lot of good people and a lot to be learned from them. I hope to see you on the site lots in the new year!

Greg..thanks for the link to your powdercoat oven build. The oven looks great!

Kind Regards
Admin
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you will fit in well here.....

Jim
RayRay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RayRay »

Thanks Greg. Your powder coat oven looks great. Is it bolted together or welded? I'm looking to build up not quit as large; maybe a 6 foot tall x 4 foot wide x 10 foot deep and use a propane torpedo heater to get it up to temp. All I want to be able to do is hand a cut piece of 4 x 8 metal, hang it on a rack such as your, roll it into the pre-heated oven, and in about 20 minutes have a powder coated part.

I think the distance between my outter wall and my inner wall will be about 6 inches filled with high temp insulation. I am just not sure what king of metal to use as the frame and the skins, but eventually it will all come together. Your website gave me loads of info and I thank you sir.

RayRay 8-)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”