Startup business

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SuperUPer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Startup business

Post by SuperUPer »

Hi all, new to the forum here, not as new to cnc plasma. I am starting a business (in my garage to begin) and looking to purchase a machine. The majority of business I have lined up will be thick steel, 1" up to 2", the majority being 1" and 1.5". Mostly I'll be cutting roughly a 12" square with a large hole in the middle and 4 bolt holes in the corners. I will likely get into small more intricate stuff in the future. I'm up in the air currently as to what cutting method to go with:

1) The cheap and slow way, oxy acetylene.

I have done my share of hand oxy but never cnc. I have read up enough to know that it requires a lot of attention and lengthy preheat times. What I like here is I can still run a hypertherm 85 which will require no power upgrades in my garage. I could start with just oxy and add a plasma later. 20K ish initial investment

2) expensive high powered plasma, looking at the hypertherm maxpro 200.

I currently only have 220 single phase, so I'd have to upgrade or get a (once again expensive) generator. Also would need a good compressor and air dryer right away. Overall much larger initial investment, roughly 65K. However, as long as the maxpro can handle small stuff fine, I wouldn't have to upgrade for a long time, if ever. The plus side here is more of a user friendly setup, not as much watching while the machine works.

Opinions, advice welcome
Thanks
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Startup business

Post by weldguy »

Welcome to the forum :D If I was in your shoes I would start out with oxy/fuel setup for your thick plates. I have had great success with oxy fuel and it will be an affordable way to get up and running. Not sure I would try to run a 200 amp plasma in the garage, sounds like a sh%# show waiting to happen.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”