Moving Plate on and off the Table with engine hoist

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Moving Plate on and off the Table with engine hoist

Post by DesertFabworks »

I have had quite few people him me up about my plate moving engine hoist. Instead of doing all the PM's I thought I would create a post and add in some pictures.

I took a stock Harbor Freight Engine hoist / cherry picker and made some modifications. They use an odd size tube so I was not just able to slide in a longer bar. I ended up making a box sleeve out of 3/16 plate. Then I used 2x2 1/4 wall tube for my new Arm. I plasma cut my slot and holes in the new bar and away I went.

I made a lifting ring out of 1/2 plate and then used some 3/8 grade 70 chain for my lifting bridle. I made some custom spreader bars so that the chain and hooks will stay put and the hooks that I use on the plate are the grab hook style and they lock on and hold very well. The biggest piece I have lifted on to the table thus far is a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 plate. Did it with just me from pick pick up bed onto the table and back off after the cut. Works well. The lowest strength rating of anything in the system is 3400 lbs. So plenty of safety factor considering I'm not lifting over 1500 lbs at a time.

Just have to keep in mind you cant extend too far or you risk tipping but with some commmon scense you can avoid that problem.

When I load a full 4x8 sheet on the table I lay down 2" wide 1/8 flat stock on top of the slats. This allows me to easily slide the plate and they also slip out easily before I start cutting.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Moving Plate on and off the Table with engine hoist

Post by Thor »

Looks good, I would of probably cut some slots below the holes for the chain in the center lifting eye pc so the chain legs can slip in and then lock into the slots.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Not sure about the slots, Having the chain able to move it allows the load to level out and adjust if things are not perfect. But something that I can consider for future upgrades.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

Yep, the engine hoist works well moving plate onto the table. I use the engine hoist with a magnet rated at 1500 pounds on 1/2" plate. Until I get the new shop built with an overhead gantry the engine hoist is the ticket.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I experimented with a magnet but on thinner material like 10 and 12 gauge a little flex could break the hold and I would loose the plate. Thats why I went with the hooks.
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Neat idea, if tip-up was an issue, some dead-weight behind the ram on the legs would counterbalance it.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

With the hook on the arm just behind my legs on the floor I have just over 4 feet from center of hook back to the ram. So when I move a full sheet I have half the sheet behind my tip point plus about 150 lbs of weight from the hoist. I have thought of welding a rod to the back of the hoist where I can slide some 45 lb plates on just for a little added safety factor when I'm moving 4x8 sheets of 3/8 & 1/2.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Can you guys post links to your magnet or vacuum pickup devices? Trying to decide which one I should get. Already have the hoist. Thanks to OP for sharing.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I do not have any links for you since I do not use the vacs or magnets. I did not go with the vac since I did not want to deal with added equipment or expense. With the magnets It only worked on 1/4 and thicker plate. Anything thinner I would get some flex over the 8 foot sheet and it would break the magnets hold. The simple hooks worked for everything and I do not have to worry about something coming loose or the plate dropping.
see&see

Post by see&see »

I buy a lot of tools for myself and others due to the fact I shop a lot. The best buy on new magnets right now is the e-bay link below. Zoro comes in second as they are the low price outlet for Grainger but this one hands down is hard to beat at $225 shipped for a 1300 lb magnet..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600KG-1320LB-ST ... 4188f1285d
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

I have a couple to 1500 lb magnets that scare the crap out of me. I typically use them for re positioning the flat plates on the trailer. Lift with the magnet and block it up so I can grab it with plate clamp. I use a 0-90-0 clamp that can rotate the plate from horizontal to vertical. I do have 13' of rise on my 2 ton CM hoist so I can lift a 5' wide plate over another 5' wide plate on the vertical material cart.

I really do not like the magnets. I also do not know if they are OSHA approved. the chain and hooks looks like a much safer solution.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
see&see

Post by see&see »

Actually permanent lifting magnets (non electric) used on horizontal stacked plate are preferred by OSHA over wire rope, chains or bolt clamps as long as the rated thickness and advertised rated capacity are followed. Vertical clamps for vertical stacked plates are what I use for that application, also OSHA rated.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”