Weather Vanes

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
34chev
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Weather Vanes

Post by 34chev »

mosquito weather vane.jpg
mosquito weather vane.jpg (81.64 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Hummingbird  weather vane.jpg
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Weather Vanes

Post by tnbndr »

Nice job. Are you using bearings or just rod over rod to rotate the Vane section? What size rods do you use?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
34chev
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34chev »

tnbndr wrote:Nice job. Are you using bearings or just rod over rod to rotate the Vane section? What size rods do you use?
The top is just a rod (3/8") the part that spins is just a sleeve that is drilled out slightly larger to accommodate the powder coat on the rod, it is about 4" long, with 2 ball bearings staked on top. The directional cross does not spin. The base is another sleeve of the same tubing that is drilled and taped on the side to accept a screw to lock it down.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

Those are nice. How much do you sell them for?
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Having a bit of a run on weather vanes too at the moment. sold one last week and an another 3 this week.

this is the one I had on display (arrows ends look familiar ;) ,thanks Jason at Cascade/ Free DXF)

but the customer wanted more detail on the rooster so I made this one (last weeks sale)

Now this week have to make one with a pointer, one with a mallard duck and one with a trout.

Selling so many I must be too cheap at $225, (the guy about 60 feet down the line sells his Chinese ones for $49) , mine run sintered bronze bushes on 12mm (a bit over 7/16) shafts and an 11mm bearing ball with adjustable base, Jet Hot ceramic coated shaft to carry bushes and powder coated finish , arrow is 750mm end to end (approx 2'6").
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

@muzza:
Nice, and yes I would say you are too cheap. These are custom made. Do a google search and look at the prices on the full body copper custom weathervanes. I have only made one weathervane so far and I donated to a club. But if I were to have charged for it, I would have asked $350.
When you guys say ball bearings, are you just setting a ball bearing on top of the lower shaft and the pushing the top part on over it? Not sure what sintered bronze bushes are, can you post a pic or link where you purchase?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
34chev
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34chev »

We actually sell ours for $135. People just don't want to pay big bucks for things anymore.
34chev
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34chev »

This is the Rooster we use
This is the Rooster we use
Weather Vane Rooster.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
muzza wrote:Having a bit of a run on weather vanes too at the moment. sold one last week and an another 3 this week.

this is the one I had on display (arrows ends look familiar ;) ,thanks Jason at Cascade/ Free DXF)

but the customer wanted more detail on the rooster so I made this one (last weeks sale)

Now this week have to make one with a pointer, one with a mallard duck and one with a trout.

Selling so many I must be too cheap at $225, (the guy about 60 feet down the line sells his Chinese ones for $49) , mine run sintered bronze bushes on 12mm (a bit over 7/16) shafts and an 11mm bearing ball with adjustable base, Jet Hot ceramic coated shaft to carry bushes and powder coated finish , arrow is 750mm end to end (approx 2'6").
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

tnbndr wrote:@muzza:
When you guys say ball bearings, are you just setting a ball bearing on top of the lower shaft and the pushing the top part on over it? Not sure what sintered bronze bushes are, can you post a pic or link where you purchase?
Here is a pic with the top or turning wind direction indicator part of the vane removed

In the bottom of the pic is the tube which the compass is welded to, this is adjusted to true direction and locked with a bolt. Next is the lower sintered bronze bush (part no SBC121820) 12mm IDx 18mm OD x 20mm long, then there is a spacer tube 65mm long and another bush which continues about 5mm further than the shaft to also act as a keeper for the 11mm bearing ball at the top.
The top part of the vane has the same 12mm shaft coming down from the arrow which has a 18mm ID tube 125mm long welded to it via a spacer. The bottom of the top shaft rides on the bearing ball and the outer tube runs on the bushes keeping everything rotating very smooth and will adjust in the slightest breeze. As Jet Hot do my powder coating I get them to use their high temp ceramic coating on the main shaft to protect it, normally I'd just zinc coat it but there isn't a plater nearby.
I have also had 1 customer insist on roller bearings in place of the bushes, by using these sizings I was able to get 2 bearings and just make another spacer tube at the top to house the bearing ball.
Sorry these measurements are in metric but it is all built from metric material, for conversion 25.4mm = 1inch
Hope this helps
Murray
MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MIFab »

How do you know how to make the roof line plate with out the customer knowing the roof pitch?
34chev
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34chev »

We produce a generic one. We haven't had any complaints. Lots of people also put them on posts so we make a flat holder as well.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”