custom bumper

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

custom bumper

Post by CPK_Jim »

Well, I finally got around to making a custom bumper for my 2000 Silverado. It is all made out of 1/4 thick steel plate. It bolts on where the original tow hooks were installed, but has new tow hooks incorporated into the bumper that are way stronger then the original hooks.

I may add some lights into it eventually but for now the budget didnt allow it.

Jim
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: custom bumper

Post by elkriverfab »

CPK_jim,

Nice bumper, very smooth finish and looks good on the truck.

1/4 inch plate packs a punch up front as well.

I bet your happy with that project!

Thanks for sharing.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Beautiful, I like 1/4"! Very refined looking, does not look like a "import" eater. LOL
WSS
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Love the bumper, looks cool.
one question, not trying to bash your work it looks great, but what happens when the local crack head hits your truck head on, his fault he gets hurt and his tv lawer finds out you made the bumper he hit that did not preform to industry crash test standfards.
In this day and age of lawsuits thier is no way I would expose myself to this risk.
i remember one time on this site someone was building a arch sign for a driveway and some one advised them to have a eng draw the plans to be safe.
I have never seen this advice given on bumpers.
AND NO I AM NOT A LAWER
maybe this is not a big deal, and by no means am I trying to stir up trouble just asking a question, in my personal opinion I think the world has way to many lawers anyway, I know what it feels like to be on the wrong side of a dumbass lawsuite.
Just my .02 worth and it is overpriced
Mike
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

Kentuckyfarmer wrote: one question, not trying to bash your work it looks great, but what happens when the local crack head hits your truck head on,
he becomes bug guts that i wash off when i get home. LOL

What if that same crackhead get hit by a semitruck, I think those bumpers would just as much if not more damage.....

As far as the getn sued thing goes, if you go through your whole life doing things always worried about getting sued, can you really enjoy what you love to do? Are you really a FREE American if your always living in fear like that?

I see your point but ill play the odds, take my chances and hope there nothing left of him, to sue me.....

Jim
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

elkriverfab wrote:CPK_jim,

Nice bumper, very smooth finish and looks good on the truck.

1/4 inch plate packs a punch up front as well.

I bet your happy with that project!

Thanks for sharing.
I was going for the clean look on this one, I thought about adding a grill guard or push bar but like how it looks without all the extras.

The only reason I used 1/4 plate is because i was to poor to go buy some thinner stuff and already had enough 1/4 plate to do it. I was originally going to use 1/8 plate but after building this one, I think next time I will use with 3/16.

I am very happy with the result and have been wanting to build it for a long time, just never had the time and $$$ at the same time.

Now I really, really want to build a rear bumper to match. But I'll have to wait till i can afford to buy some more plate.

Jim
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Nice bumper, I did one similar last winter and I too am anxiously awaiting the time and material to do a rear. I did not put on a brush guard but left some nut inserts to add one in the future.
I also am not going to worry about being sued by some idiot. It happens it happens. I am also in the process of building an arch sign for a driveway to a local sports club. Not going with an engineer to design just experience and common sense.

Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by elkriverfab »

tnbndr wrote:Nice bumper, I did one similar last winter and I too am anxiously awaiting the time and material to do a rear. I did not put on a brush guard but left some nut inserts to add one in the future.
I also am not going to worry about being sued by some idiot. It happens it happens. I am also in the process of building an arch sign for a driveway to a local sports club. Not going with an engineer to design just experience and common sense.

tnbndr,

Love the diamond plate.

Your bumper looks much better than anything you could buy.......Sweet!

Very nice!
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”