Tombstone Fire Pit

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Tombstone Fire Pit

Post by RobertJohnson »

Very nice, I had to cut out a "Four Horsemen" scene for a dinner center piece. I like your idea much more. ;)
SouthernDove
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SouthernDove »

:shock: Wow! Would LOVE to See This Around a Fire! I Bet It Is Awesome To See! :D
TotalPerformance
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TotalPerformance »

If you care to sell the file, I'm in. AWESOME work!
retiredcpo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by retiredcpo »

Im in aswell if you ever decide to would love to have that in my back yard
retiredcpo
SCHIDTHEAD
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SCHIDTHEAD »

HHHhhhmmmmmm. never gave any inclene ta sell that .dxf...
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."--Thomas Paine 1776
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by GoingCustom »

SCHIDTHEAD wrote:HHHhhhmmmmmm. never gave any inclene ta sell that .dxf...
There's at least 3 of us that are interested in purchasing it :D
Travis
http://www.goingcustom.com
one of a kind gates, fine art and CNC designs
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Agreed, great job. Nice touch on the pistol legs, I always have trouble with my legs and how boring they look sometimes....

Maybe I should shave them and try spray tan.... I dunno....
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redfarm »

mdoffroad
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mdoffroad »

Make it % who want to buy it!! Great work!!!!

MMangin816@yahoo.com

Email me a price and let make a deal!!!!
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I will buy a copy also...
Dawg
wsr5187
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wsr5187 »

I will buy one too...........
Charlene
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Charlene »

Me too! Just let us know. :P
SCHIDTHEAD

Post by SCHIDTHEAD »

K...I was at a total loss when you guys started wanting to buy the cut file for this. I knew what I thought it was worth but wanted to make sure i wasnt too cheap. So, I had an old friend of mine who is an accountant over for a few coldies, showed him my sample and told him I had no idea what to charge for the tooling file. I am getting $510 for these and have sold 3 complete and 1 ring in the last 2 months from walk-ins, one, with a $65 domed fire screen.

He said from his experience as an acct for a mfg here that 40% and upwards of 80% of the retail cost of the initial item isn't uncommon in a situation like this..."they're gonna make a shitload on a file like this...40% is more than fair". I thought $200 was too high till he explained to me that with this meathod, basically you would pay me $20/$40 out of $510 for the first 10/5 units you sell on a 80% profit margin using 11 ga. or they could make that up or cut it in half with a $10 or 20 set up fee and have the customer pay for the file for them. Then, my file is held a bit more closely and less likely to go "viral", which is what I am afraid of. Just thought I'd share as a good reference...so thats where I be...$200 for a file you can pay for in the first 2 you sell then its all profit on a pit like no other that I know you'll sell a lot of.

I'd like to know what Gary thinks...

Thanks,
Steve
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."--Thomas Paine 1776
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

SCHIDTHEAD wrote:I'd like to know what Gary thinks...
Gary thinks say $200 (per year) to license, plus a percentage royalty with a minimum base royalty per unit on all production and sales. Set a fair price and conditions, then advertise the heck out of it. The only other strategy is sell as many as you can as cheap as you can.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I'm fairly new here, and I don't want to stir the pot as it were, but I really would like some clarification on this.... I know this is a really nice file, and everybody is stacking up to get their hands on it... But unless I'm mistaken, and I probably am, wasn't there a HUGE to do recently over the use of a duck or dog file that was posted by SteelFX and was forced to pull the file because it was a derivative of a STVA package? I know that Buena Vista is the copyright owner of the images for Tombstone, and this is obviously a direct copy of the movie poster/packaging, which makes it a derivative work, and $200 is being proposed for the file. And to boot, STVA jumps in with pricing, royalty and licensing suggestions. You know, I've really enjoyed the work that both you have created, posted and shared, but for some reason this post makes my ethics radar twitch a little bit. I'm not suggesting that something is going on here that's wrong, but if we apply one set of standards to a duck or dog, shouldn't it apply to everything posted here? Again, if I'm missing something that is very obvious, please let me know.... I look forward to getting my table put together & appreciate all the help & encouragement I've gotten here.... One of the best things about this forum is that is is very fair, and most every member has been very gracious and generous with the work they have created and the help they provide others. I also like the fact that it is self policing, and respects the intellectual rights of others work. I've seen a few guys get slammed pretty hard over posting work that wasn't theirs, so is there one standard for some and a different standard for others.... especially if it's a bong-a-roo file that everybody wants? Again, don't want to start a running gun battle with anybody, and hopefully there is something I'm missing... I hope there is, and if so, please school me on it so I don't make the same mistake again!

Oldsarge

The following is from Wikipedia:
"Several exclusive rights typically attach to the holder of a copyright:

to produce copies or reproductions of the work and to sell those copies (including, typically, electronic copies)
to import or export the work
to create derivative works (works that adapt the original work)
to perform or display the work publicly
to sell or assign these rights to others
to transmit or display by radio or video "
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
SCHIDTHEAD

Post by SCHIDTHEAD »

Hahaha never thought about it Sarge...Never thought about selling it till the requests and I think you may be right! But, I have some other designs in the draft stages that are just as impressive as this pit and are original art work. Will be nice when I find the time to post samples. Like I said, the ones I sold were from walk-ins who saw the sample in the office, boom quick easy sales. I am taking this pit home for myself and not offering the pit or file for sale till I find out otherwise. I'm sure Gary can clarify it--must have slipped his mind too.

Thank you Sir, you may have saved my arsssss.
Steve
retiredcpo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by retiredcpo »

Schidthead
Just to clairify things from where I stand And this only applies to me.
While Im new to this stuff I only do it for my self.
I am a DAV and am working a second job to make ends meet the place I work has a new table Im in charge of and its stickly against company policy to do side jobs for a profit. I just want the pit in my back yard.
That thing is outstanding
Let us know what you decide aand cant wait to see what you have up next
Im currently tring to one of the deer coat racks from this site
thanks
retiredcpo
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Oldsarge wrote: I'm fairly new here, and I don't want to stir the pot as it were, but
I really would like some clarification on this....

this is obviously a direct copy of the movie poster/packaging, which makes it a derivative work,
I've seen a few guys get slammed pretty hard over posting work that wasn't theirs, so is there one standard for some and a different standard for others....
the other issue is settled, I don't think it is appropriate to bring up other members and past issues.

This is not a direct copy of anything that I know of, no one is copying anyone else's work, here.

I simply said what I thought it might be worth.

I intentionally avoided discussing intellectual property issues.

It is a photo, no files are being shared, this post infringes nothing.

What about my John Wayne portraits, and Elvis silhouettes?

are those direct copies?

should I not sell them?

should I be ashamed?

technically yes, but actually not....
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

SignTorch Vector Art wrote:
Oldsarge wrote:
"the other issue is settled, I don't think it is appropriate to bring up other members and past issues."

Other members aside, I brought up past issues as an example of posting of work that was challenged. Not a dig at you specifically, just what was in my recent memory. You vigorously defended yourself and your intellectual property, which I obviously support. There are other incidents which have happened here which didn't involve you. I used this specific example as clarification for myself, which I believe I stated in my post. If you take any offense by my citing the example, I apologize.

"This is not a direct copy of anything that I know of, no one is copying anyone else's work, here."
It obviously is, and they actually are.

I simply said what I thought it might be worth.
Fair enough.

"I intentionally avoided discussing intellectual property issues."
I intentionally asked as clarification for my own knowledge as to how to act within the community here. I have limited technical knowledge of the drawing software needed to use a table to it's fullest advantage, and I want to make sure I don't waste time with drawings and other materials I shouldn't be using. Please don't take my post the wrong way. I didn't mean to come off as damning or anything, I made that clear... just asking for my own clarification.

"It is a photo, no files are being shared, this post infringes nothing."
It is a photo of a derivative product created with copyrighted materials as a main theme of the design, which was then sold locally and was being discussed in depth as to the best way to price the file for sale. No, the post absolutely infringes nothing, until the file is posted or sold. Do I care? No. Know why? Because I was asking for my own clarification. Nothing more.

"What about my John Wayne portraits, and Elvis silhouettes?

are those direct copies?

should I not sell them?

should I be ashamed?"

technically yes, but actually not....
Please re-read my post. If your portraits don't infringe any copyrights then sell away, and I wish you great success, and I'll probably buy your copyrighted work as soon as my table is put together, because you do really good work.... I really don't want to start an issue with ill feelings, and I sincerely just wanted to raise this question for my own information. If this file is sold to every member on the forum by private message and coordination, I could care less. If the file is sold openly, and it affects the operation of the forum and it's access to the wealth of information offered, then I do care.

And by the way just to clarify that file is amazing. I am amazed by your ability to create something like that, and I didn't mean to rain on the parade.... Just looking for clarif..... oh you know.

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

oldsarge, you're right, I apologize, my answer was off, it should've been that with a license it would be cool, because it does look like tombstone the movie,

even so, I don't think it's a direct copy, if it is I'd have to be shown the original to believe it
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

Not wanting to start anything, but ---
Attachments
Tombstone.jpg
Tombstone.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

ha ha, just what I expected, my whole point is the photographic image above is a direct copy, the cut out is not a copy at all, copy means reproduce a copy, no copy of the image above will cut, something has to be changed, that change would not be a copy

to me a direct copy means copy directly from a source and use (parts of) it, and end up with identical geometry
clswans
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by clswans »

Fantastic work! I wish I was artistic. I have to rely on templates and pics to get my cut files.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Very Nice!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”