Coloring Metal

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Coloring Metal

Post by glgsales »

This is a repost from the plasmacut quality forum, i think i posted in the wrong forum.
I have this file cut out and want to color it like the pic #1, is this the patina process that is talked about? The spray you get from a glass shop?
Do you heat with a torch first as in the blueing pic #2?

I have seen the instructions here somewhere but i can't find them in a search..anyone have a copy them?
Please pm me if you need to.. what ever way works
Thanks
Gary
wolf_head_trio.jpg
wolf_head_trio.jpg (88.46 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
three%2520wolves.JPG
three%2520wolves.JPG (84.68 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
oldsoulmetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Coloring Metal

Post by oldsoulmetal »

pic one can be done withe a torch or oven. with a torch you have to watch your flame intensity and height and stay away from the edges. you can also acheive this through patina's and possibly traslucent powder coats?
but i can only attest to the torch coloring as it is what i do most.
infinitydesigns
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by infinitydesigns »

Are you using cold rolled steel, What is it meant by a oven?
J&S
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by J&S »

Where did you purchase that file??? I have a freind who loves wolves and I would like to cut it for her.

Thanks
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

Oldsoul, I have done some, underline "some" flame coloring like the #2 pic ,on smaller pieces.

But to be honest i only saw a little browning develope in certain areas, if i went to long with the flame the metal turn dark blue almost black, which required regrinding and flaming all over.that was colled rolled .

We have a couple old electric kitchen ovens here in the class for powder coating,which isn't working very well by the way( non-convection type) uneven finishes we believe do to heat. But what temp have you used in an oven ? and how long?
We dont have glass doors so we have to open the ovens to see work turn colors, which then cools oven..etc...

Oldsoul ...thanks for your input every little insite does help.. :D

We are trying to implement this type of refinishin,or finishing in our metals ,and fabrication classes as a way to make projects more personal.

Inifinty:
We use both hot rolled and some colled rolled . we get our cold rolled from a local machine builder Continental Machine,the gives us scraps ,but most are under 12" wide,too expsensive to purchase for school projects. The wolves are hot rolled that I have done here.

J&S:
to be honest i don't remember...lol I purchsed files from Jason and others to donate to the school here ,some from this forum for us to share which has been great. I will look and see if I can find the where if possible i will share with you or let you know were i bought it.

Gary
oldsoulmetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by oldsoulmetal »

0800?F Dark grey 427?C
0575?F Blue 302?C
0540?F Dark Purple 282?C
0520?F Purple 271?C
0500?F Brown/Purple 260?C
0480?F Brown 249?C
0465?F Dark Straw 241?C
0445?F Light Straw 229?C
0390?F Faint Straw 199?C

this was retrieved off a website for knife making. the temps are very close you may need to expirement alittle but this should get you into the ball park. Good Luck and i heard times ranging from 10 - 20 mins i have expirimented with different times in my household oven and it seems that 15 mins worked for me. temperature i believe is the key as there is only a 20 degree window between each oxide color

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”